Sun Ultra 10 - Which Linux distro?

blackedge

Gawd
Hi guys (and gals, although I imagine there's few out there),

Just picked myself up a free Sun Ultra 10. It's got an Ultra IIi 333 Mhz (or something like that), with 256 MB of RAM and a 20 GB HD. It's all IDE, as far as I can tell.

Anyway, I am not a big fan of Solaris for some reason (perhaps I haven't given it enough of a chance), so I want to put Linux on it. The question is, what distro? I've tried putting Debian on it, but can't get any sort of the GUI to cooperate. Once I get my monitor issue resolved, I can post errors in an attempt to figure it out.

However, in the mean time, I was wondering what distros you guys might use? I'm anti-Redhat at the moment, since they abandoned the idea of "free", IMHO. But otherwise, I'm open to suggestions.

Also, I've tried Mandrake, and it doesn't seem to like the fact that I'm running a 20 GB HD. I can only seem to get it to see about 5 GB of it, or rather, at least that's all it wants to let me partition. Problem with using ext2, perhaps?

Well, I think I'm done rambling at the moment.. I might be somewhat incoherent, so I'll try to clean this up in teh morning when I get to work and am sober.

Cheers!

LuckyNumber

Limp Gawd
GENTOO!!!

i just installed the x86 cuz im a nub, but if ur going linux this is what i would reccomend

plus it makes u cooler than those redhat fools

tim_m

i'm so nice
did you get this ultra 10 for free from anyplace i might be able to get one for free? ;) :D :p

TrEpIdAtIoN

Limp Gawd
I too would suggest Gentoo, I just finished putting Gentoo on my Sunblade 150, follow the docs, they are the best. Goodluck.

jaffy

[H] Custodian
I've used Gentoo on my MP SS20, but found Suse Sparc to be more efficient with system resources. Only problem is, neither one supports my onboard sound :-( Right now its running Solaris 9, and has been up for months running as my webserver. Solaris is really great, once you get used to it. I had to replace that ugly useless CDE with gnome, and now it feels a lot more like Linux. I installed Mandrake once, but the driver support sucks.

blackedge

Gawd
Originally posted by tim
did you get this ultra 10 for free from anyplace i might be able to get one for free? ;) :D :p

I wish man... I would have grabbed a couple if I could have gotten more than just the one for free. :D

As far as everyone else goes, I guess I'll look into a dual boot then. Sounds like a dual boot Gentoo/Solaris box might be in the works.

Thanks for the input!