Sun Releases Looking Glass 3D Desktop

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sun Microsystems has released a 3D desktop called Looking Glass this week for Windows XP, Linux and Solaris users. The program allows certain applications to be rotated in 3D space to maximize the available desktop space.

Looking Glass, which was first shown off in 2003 and released as an open-source project in 2004, allows users to run a Java-based desktop environment on top of Windows, or on Linux or Solaris. The software allows certain applications to be run in a "2.5D" environment, allowing them to be rotated in 3D space to maximize the available desktop space.

Oh man, I remember seeing this.

I couldn't remember the dang name.

I kind of like the Vista's Aero however the OS itself is just totally overbloated (and not suitable to work on), therefore I will be more than happy to try this.

I thought about trying this but I wanted to see screenshots and hear from people who have tried it first.

Wasn't this the new X system for Linux, or something, awhile ago? Possibly XGL?

Not to over hype this but think of it this way.

This is a foward looking step into desktop window management like:

win3's desktop was to dos
win98 was to win3's

Do I think this is going to be the next big thing? I don't know really but I think it has some possibilities. Don't look at it is oooo shiny like various windows and mac offerings but rather organizaton of windows in 3d. I hardly doubt it but if this also depended on the gpu for visual rendering of the process and not just its spacial rendering it could help with some system resources too.

I can't wait to get home to try it.

This Looking Glass 3d Desktop is absolutely horrible. Bottom line. With nvidias new beta drivers that allow native opengl calls and Beryl, Looking Glass comes out looking bloated and amateur. Sun truly failed on this. You will install it and just go, What...the....crap

4saken said:
This Looking Glass 3d Desktop is absolutely horrible. Bottom line. With nvidias new beta drivers that allow native opengl calls and Beryl, Looking Glass comes out looking bloated and amateur. Sun truly failed on this. You will install it and just go, What...the....crap

http://www.beryl-project.org/

Just for reference. Beryl does what Looking Glass attempts to do, only about 5000x better and more efficiently.

XGL was more the "physics" desktop where tossing objects around affected other items., i beleive.

Yeah, the 3D interface is pretty rough and definitely not as good as Vista or XGL. There are some neat concepts in it though, like the 3D googler and the 3D file manager.

Note the fine print as well, Win XP users can't run native apps, making this thing basically useless thus for the avergae user :(

Back