Sun Netra X1 Server. . . What to do?

Scheizekopf

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey Everybody,

I just bought a used Sun Netra X1 Server. It's running Solaris 8.

I really dont have any plans yet. I'll just be learning. It will be my first Solaris system.

I've also read that you can install Linux on it. I know Linux much better than Solaris.

What should I do with it? Any suggestions you have please.

Hey PlusLabs. . . I know you have 3 of them. Got any suggestions? (if you see this)

dont put linux on it!

Use Solaris and learn to use it....a ver nice OS if you ask me...server side...not so much for a workstation...

Turn that thing into a webserver!

I used to work at a place that did some website hosting, and the guy in charge swore by them, and had 6 of them doing his webhosting...they ran like a charm, never had problems!

(thats my non-technical .02$...in case anybody was wondering...i dont have any real input that might be of value :p)

I will be keeping Solaris. I already have a system with linux so that would be a waste of the Sun server.

Webserver sounds good.

Hopefully I'll get it to work.

Definately check out Solaris 10. From what I have read in both reviews and Sun-based publications, it embodies the best of the *nix incarnations and is based on a new and licensed Unix kernel developed for them by SCO.
I cannot wait to base my next system around the final release.
Plus, it is free. :)
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp
You have to sign up with them in order to obtain it but it is nothing insidious or time-consuming. Well worth it, IMO.

If it has a CD-ROM and you can d/l the disc images from Sun, you should be able to migrate over to 10 through an "upgrade" installation. I'm pretty sure I saw that option is in there.
If you want, though, you can just have Sun send you installation CDs/DVDs for free. No shipping, either. I got mine about 2 weeks after I filled out the request and received 1 DVD for SPARC machines and1 for x86.

I dont think that the Netra X1 has a CD-Rom/DVD-Rom. Or even VGA, Mouse, Keyboard.

Console Port Installation??

Just wondering, how much did you get it for?

Yeah I think you have to do the serial install on those guys. You can setup a network install server or jumpstart if you have another solaris box. Someone also said try opening it up and attaching a cdrom drive. I'm not sure if it has another ide port but you can try. Also, someone mentioned copying over the installation files via tftp from another computer.

Can you use another box to install a CD image through a network installation?

Order said:
Can you use another box to install a CD image through a network installation?
I have extra computers but not sure how to do a network install. Havent needed to ever.

I would try opening it up and adding a spare cdrom drive to it. I think they have 2 ide ports on it. That would be the easiest way.

DoMeHardR said:
I would try opening it up and adding a spare cdrom drive to it. I think they have 2 ide ports on it. That would be the easiest way.
But then how do I see what's happening?

Look on the sun site, they should have a guide for you.

Does it have a PCI slot? u could put a cheap video card in, problem solved :D

Just a thot, i have never seen/used a Netra

Back