Sun making a 64bit notebook

swatbat

[H]F Junkie
Sun's new notebook

What do you all think? I'm thinking they will be hella expensive but a UltraSPARC IIIi notebook with a scsi hard drive(or ata) should be a sweet system. Too bad they are only going to come with a 802.11b wireless card.

The UltraSparc IIIi is a pretty slow CPU by today's standards. It came out in 2003 and wasn't even a "good" chip back then.

The 1.2GHz version on a desktop with 8MB of L2 cache and dual channel memory is around the same speed as an Athlon XP 2000+. In a laptop without the massive L2 cache it is significantly slower. The 550MHz and 600MHz versions rival an original Athlon at the same speed in integer performance and around a 1GHz Athlon in floating point performance.

If someone wants a portable 64-bit workstation, a Mobile Athlon 64 is much faster at a fraction of the price.

I'm thinking unix system admins. When I first read the headline about it on another site I was thinking they were going to be using a Athlon 64 in the notebook. I still want to see one of these in action.

Back