Summer of 58 Dev quits over steam return policy

Yeah, fair enough. Outlast and SOMA were also very good. I like walking simulators though, you can just kind of take in the graphics and the story and feel like you are there. Everyone has different tastes of course.

Yeah, fair enough. Outlast and SOMA were also very good. I like walking simulators though, you can just kind of take in the graphics and the story and feel like you are there. Everyone has different tastes of course.
Sure. Don’t get me wrong; it’s good (as evidenced by the Steam reviews)! It just faces some really stiff competition. I’m sure the experience will be much creepier when played in the dark. Heck, I played it during the day and the encounters with your “wife” and some of the rooms/hallways were still pretty damn unnerving!

Kinda glad that I waited to play it, actually. Ran flawlessly maxed out at 4K 120Hz. Pegged my frame cap pretty much the whole time. :)

Sure. Don’t get me wrong; it’s good (as evidenced by the Steam reviews)! It just faces some really stiff competition. I’m sure the experience will be much creepier when played in the dark. Heck, I played it during the day and the encounters with your “wife” and some of the rooms/hallways were still pretty damn unnerving!

Kinda glad that I waited to play it, actually. Ran flawlessly maxed out at 4K 120Hz. Pegged my frame cap pretty much the whole time. :)

I don't trust steam reviews though. They only remind people to review a title after a certain number of hours played. (I forget how many). The people who didn't like the title probably quit before that threshold and never got the reminder.

I mean, you can still review a game without a reminder, but it will skew results positive.

That is true, but if you only played the game for 30 minutes and quit, it wouldn't be a really fair review either.

They made a bunch of games in the same style. There is a DLC, which I played and it's okay, and also a sequel I haven't tried yet. They also made a Blair Witch game.

But Observer is really great. It's cyberpunk and a little more fleshed out in the gameplay (better puzzles, and you can talk to people, use computer terminals, etc.). I played on PC and the framerate was kind of shoddy but the remaster is supposed to be better and I played on PS5 and it looked great at 4K very smooth fps.

I don't trust steam reviews though. They only remind people to review a title after a certain number of hours played. (I forget how many). The people who didn't like the title probably quit before that threshold and never got the reminder.

I mean, you can still review a game without a reminder, but it will skew results positive.
While that might be true, the game currently has over 10,000 reviews with a 91% “Very Positive” rating. That means that out of the people who did provide a review, 9 out of 10 of them recommended it. That’s overwhelming. It’s not like 6 out of 10 recommended it and you could say “Eh, maybe enough people didn’t like it AND didn’t leave a review, which could tip the actual rating to a 5/10 or even 4/10.”

And you know what they say: people are more likely to write reviews when they’re dissatisfied. This goes for anything; appliances, tools, you name it. When people have a bad experience, generally they want a place to bitch about it and warn others against buying whatever piece of crap broke early or didn’t measure up to their expectations. I almost never leave a review for a product unless it absolutely knocks my socks off. Even if it works perfectly fine and lasts for years, I’m too lazy to go tell the world about it, especially if it already has a 4 out of 5 rating (because I figure those reviews largely agree with what I think and already speak for the quality of the product).

They made a bunch of games in the same style. There is a DLC, which I played and it's okay, and also a sequel I haven't tried yet. They also made a Blair Witch game.

But Observer is really great. It's cyberpunk and a little more fleshed out in the gameplay (better puzzles, and you can talk to people, etc.). I played on PC and the framerate was kind of shoddy but the remaster is supposed to be better and I played on PS5 and it looked great at 4K very smooth fps.
Observer is in my backlog, also! I didn’t realize they made it, too. One of the reviews for Layers said something very similar, though; that their later games improved on ideas and concepts that were introduced in LoF.

Besides the whole review bombing thing, Steam reviews are generally pretty accurate (compared to like Amazon where probably half the reviews are fake).

I still take chances on games with "mixed" reviews if I really like the style or the complaints aren't relevant to me. But if I see a game with "mostly negative" reviews I won't bother.

And if a game has "very positive", well, then there is a pretty good chance it is good. Of course, you want to make sure it is your genre or style, but I've found them pretty spot on.

Besides the whole review bombing thing, Steam reviews are generally pretty accurate (compared to like Amazon where probably half the reviews are fake).

I still take chances on games with "mixed" reviews if I really like the style or the complaints aren't relevant to me. But if I see a game with "mostly negative" reviews I won't bother.

And if a game has "very positive", well, then there is a pretty good chance it is good. Of course, you want to make sure it is your genre or style, but I've found them pretty spot on.

I think they can be a useful guide when coupled with you considering how much you like a style. For something I really like, even fairly low reviews can be good. However even if it is a style I'm generally not in to, if it is overwhelmingly positive, I'll take a look as often they are great. Subnautica is an example. Not the kind of game I generally like, the survival builders tend to bore me but man that game is just amazing.

Also worth noting is to check the total NUMBER of reviews. If something is overwhelmingly positive with 500 reviews that's great and all, but that just means that a small base of hardcores likes it, not that it will be something you might like. However if it is overwhelmingly positive with 100,000 reviews, well then good chances you might like it too as that is a lot of people to try and like something well enough to leave feedback.

Finally it is worth noting that while it doesn't prompt for negative reviews for people who play a little then set it aside, people are more likely to leave negative reviews than positive ones in general as they like to bitch.

There is an old phrase that talks about opinions and arseholes. Its fairly accurate for most reviews - video games inclusive. There might be a few people out there whos opinion you value because they think along the same lines as you. Quite often I find most people simply do not know what they are talking about.

Back