Suitable replacement for Age of Empires 3 for Lan play

AARGH!

Gawd
Hey, me and my family play alot of Age of Empires 3 (w/all expansions) via lan, and I was interested in something newer but similar in style and complexity, and figured I would post here for suggestions. We've just about played AOE3 out, and want to see if we can jump franchises to something that might have some life left in it, since the Age games are kaput now. Must support at least up to 5 human players and then however many "computer" players.

TYIA

AARGH!

starcraft brood war ftw! can't go wrong with a classic.

i know you said newer. Civ 4 maybe, but its turn based.

Yeah looking for new'ish and RTS. Is the Empire Earth stuff any good, that seems to be something similar...

The last game iirc that Ensemble studios made was that Halo War RTS.
If not that then how about Dawn of War 2.

Well Company of Heroes is an awesome RTS. I also love World in Conflict but that is more tactical than strategy. Or how about Dawn of War 2?

Supreme Commander... slow start, hard to really learn well, AI sucks (repetitive, but at least decent), and long hours.

However, it is a very slow start.

I never liked Company of Heroes because no matter how hard I try I can't survive with infantry doctrines because all of my loser friends only mass tanks and steam roll everything. No fun at all :(

I play Dawn of War 2 all the time, though, and it's a nice change of pace. No base building, so you can focus on micro managing unit abilities, etc. There is resource collecting, but it's passive for the most part.

Supreme Commander... slow start, hard to really learn well, AI sucks (repetitive, but at least decent), and long hours.

However, it is a very slow start.

I played this on LAN with a few friends a while back. The problem we kept having was when you start getting shields, it became a war of attrition, not based on anything in game but on who would sit there the longest. Maybe we weren't doing it right. Regardless, I love the concept of slower-paced, really drawn out RTS games. My beef with most other RTS games it the focus is on lightning fast, short-term planning.

I played this on LAN with a few friends a while back. The problem we kept having was when you start getting shields, it became a war of attrition, not based on anything in game but on who would sit there the longest. Maybe we weren't doing it right. Regardless, I love the concept of slower-paced, really drawn out RTS games. My beef with most other RTS games it the focus is on lightning fast, short-term planning.

Never play Red Alert 3... total waste of time, and it's nothing better then "world of boobcraft"

Back