Suitable CPU for new nvidia 3000 series

Divezy

n00b
Hello guys,

for some of you this might be a stupid question but I am just gonna try it. I am in situation, where I would like to buy new rig for 1440p, 144hz gaming. I realise it's pointless buying 2000 series nvida gpus, when new one's are just around the corner. The problem is my friend wants to buy my old rig (without GPU) now, so I want to buy everything except GPU now. My question is, what cpu is suitable for new gpus. I know there are not a lot of specifications of new gpus, but for example, do you think I am save with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ? Or that one is too low for that. I hope the question is understandable.

Thank you for your responses.

If you're fine with going AMD anyways, I'd say go ahead and get either an x570 or B550 setup, get a 3600 since they're pretty cheap, and then upgrade to a zen3 CPU when those come out, because they're also right around the corner, most likely around the same time as new nvidia GPUs. If you must have something *now* and want to have the best overall gaming CPU for 144Hz+ gaming that'll still be high in the rankings when the new cards come out, go Intel instead and get a 10600k or 10700k, but beware that they are constantly out of stock and selling for well above MSRP due to high demand.

If you're fine with going AMD anyways, I'd say go ahead and get either an x570 or B550 setup, get a 3600 since they're pretty cheap, and then upgrade to a zen3 CPU when those come out, because they're also right around the corner, most likely around the same time as new nvidia GPUs. If you must have something *now* and want to have the best overall gaming CPU for 144Hz+ gaming that'll still be high in the rankings when the new cards come out, go Intel instead and get a 10600k or 10700k, but beware that they are constantly out of stock and selling for well above MSRP due to high demand.
As far as I know, there is like 10 fps difference between 3600 and 10600k at 1440p and price is incomparable.

I just upgraded from an i7 4790k to a 3600 to compliment my 1080 Ti. My min fps has increased in most games and everything is super smooth. I also game at ultra wide res 3440 x 1440. The GPU is still the bottleneck in my case so I think you are safe with the 3600 for the 3xxx series.

As far as I know, there is like 10 fps difference between 3600 and 10600k at 1440p and price is incomparable.

I understand, but also keep in mind that you are the one who specifically mentioned 144Hz and said nothing else about it. I brought up the Intel option because I'd no idea if you meant "I want decent performance up to 144", or "I want to maintain 144FPS as often as possible". The 3600 would get you the first option, but not so much the second one, hence leaving the Intel option as a possibility.

I understand, but also keep in mind that you are the one who specifically mentioned 144Hz and said nothing else about it. I brought up the Intel option because I'd no idea if you meant "I want decent performance up to 144", or "I want to maintain 144FPS as often as possible". The 3600 would get you the first option, but not so much the second one, hence leaving the Intel option as a possibility.
Ok, my bad, but I feel like there is not much difference between those too. I dont know about 10700k. Thanks anyway.

What games do you play or intend on playing?
If you go the AMD Ryzen way .. make sure you get some good fast ram that can do 3600mhz at a CAS14 or at least 16
..either camp you go with, I'd recommend a good 80+ Gold or higher rated PSU .. 750wtt or higher .. don't skimp on the PSU.

What games do you play or intend on playing?
If you go the AMD Ryzen way .. make sure you get some good fast ram that can do 3600mhz at a CAS14 or at least 16
..either camp you go with, I'd recommend a good 80+ Gold or higher rated PSU .. 750wtt or higher .. don't skimp on the PSU.

you do not need a 750w+ psu.

Assuming the top chips use 225W, and the top graphics chips use 280W, basically anything in the 600-650W range covers 99% of users.

I got rams and PSU covered. I was worrying only about cpu, so it doesn't bottleneck gpu.

I would get a CPU with at least 8 physical cores since the new consoles coming out will be 8 cores. That will future proof you in that department.

you do not need a 750w+ psu.

Assuming the top chips use 225W, and the top graphics chips use 280W, basically anything in the 600-650W range covers 99% of users.
99% of users won't be running an RTX 3000 (350wtt'ish supposedly) GPU .. but I digress..OP's got it covered anyways.
I'd go for the 3600x or 3700x CPU's .. and a decent x570/B550 mobo for some upgrade headroom

99% of users won't be running an RTX 3000 (350wtt'ish supposedly) GPU .. but I digress..OP's got it covered anyways.
I'd go for the 3600x or 3700x CPU's .. and a decent x570/B550 mobo for some upgrade headroom

I did want to provide a little headroom on the PSU..

A 3600 or 3600x would be the right chip depending on current stock/price, especially at 1440p. Zen3 coming soon, I would buy cheap (heck, i'd even entertain the 3300x if you can find it at/near MSRP as a stop gap). You mentioned not buying a 2000 series, which means you most likely have something older (speculation, lack of details) so you'll be GPU contstrained most likely. The 3600 or 3300x would hold you down until zen3 and ampere come out and you'd be ready to upgrade when you felt the need/want.

Hello guys,

for some of you this might be a stupid question but I am just gonna try it. I am in situation, where I would like to buy new rig for 1440p, 144hz gaming. I realise it's pointless buying 2000 series nvida gpus, when new one's are just around the corner. The problem is my friend wants to buy my old rig (without GPU) now, so I want to buy everything except GPU now. My question is, what cpu is suitable for new gpus. I know there are not a lot of specifications of new gpus, but for example, do you think I am save with AMD Ryzen 5 3600 ? Or that one is too low for that. I hope the question is understandable.

Thank you for your responses.

It is a stupid question but, so what. ;) Get the best processor available that you can afford along with the best B550 board you can afford and you will be fine. Personally, I would get a 3950X with a Asrock Taichi B550 or Gigabyte Aorus B550 and love it. However, it is not needed for a great gaming experience but then again, I would love me a TR40 board and 3960X. :)

At 1440p/144 I can happily play anything on my 3600 and 2080 super. Im mostly playing at 4K now and the gpu is even more important obv. The 3600 is fine there too.

Depending on your budget a B550/x570 board and a 3600 can push a $600+ gpu. It also opens up an upgrade path for a faster Ryzen 4000 cpu whenever you feel held back by the 3600. Am4 will support your next GPU and cpu after this one as well.

OR. Go all in on the fastest Intel cpu you can afford on a good board and run it into the ground. A decent choice for people who don’t want to mess with upgrades and want it all up front. Obviously this would support another GPU upgrade down the road too.

All comes down to preference and budget as either choice will get you there.

Do you plan to upgrade to 4000 when it comes out or stick with 3000 series? If you don't plan to upgrade, grab an 8 core, otherwise I'd grab the cheapest 3000 series out there and then immediately jump to the 4000 when it releases.

Can I run a new Nvidia RTX 3090 on a Threadripper 2950x or do I need to upgrade?

Back