Suggestions on which to keep. GTX 780 core vs memory

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
Hey guys, I have 2 EVGA GTX 780 Hydro coppers, and I'm going to be returning 1 of them. Just wanted some suggestions on which would be the better choice in terms of their maximum overclocking capabilities.

Below are the maximum I reached so far:

- No additional voltages, +70 core (1050 effective), +250 Memory (6.5ghz effective) - 64.2 ASIC Quality
- No additional voltages, +35 core (1015 effective), +600 Memory (7.2ghz effective) - approx. 75 ASIC quality

Thanks

Last edited:
Your not going to see any huge increase or anything, but if I had to choose I would pick the 1st card with a higher core overclock. The extra 40-50 Mhz might net you a few tick increase in fps....Which card runs cooler on water or are they about the same temp wise? Also, what resolution are you gaming at? Higher then 1080p, then I would probably go with the second. multi monitor set up? Go with the 2nd card

Temp wise they're about the same. I'm gaming at 1600P.

Then the higher bandwidth might be a better option for you, as core wise, there is not to much of a difference, but the memory bandwidth is more dramatic and your gaming at 1600 res, the higher memory throughput will help

As to which card to keep: hopefully the card that overclocks better also has the higher ASIC quality. For reference, the intial GTX 780 reference card I owned had a 71% quality and overclocked decent but required high voltage to stay steady -- whereas my current card (EVGA ACX SC) has an 82% quality and can reach as higher and higher than the previous card all on stock volts (or setting to 1.162 using the techinferno bios - 1202/6800).

So I definitely think there's something to ASIC quality potential in a card.

I've updated the OP with the ASIC quality. Also, in terms of adding voltages and retesting. It seems that the additional voltages are not really helping. More or less, even with additional voltages - I can't really push above that. Although, I do benefit from the higher boost clock bin.

My vote goes to the card with 75% ASIC and 7.2GHz memory -- I bet if you were to bench each card individually given the clocks you list, the one with the much higher memory and only 35mhz difference in core will at least score as well as the other...may even run cooler (probably not an issue for water cooling though)

Are you one of those guys that test a bunch of cards looking for the best OC then return the rest and then I buy your rejects?

So, did you buy two cards to intentionally RMA the one that OC'ed worse?

I certainly hope not because that practice is pretty unethical and distasteful. Anyway, either card would be fine. 35mhz is not going to make a perceptible difference in 3d applications, and I do believe core makes more of a difference than VRAM in terms of synthetic benchmarks.

Let me say that every OC article I have ever read done by [H] they have always preferred core vs mem. Look here for example from the Galaxy 780 HOF review

http://hardocp.com/article/2013/08/14/galaxy_geforce_gtx_780_hof_edition_review/2

You can see the total GPU offset and memory offset we found playable above, it is absolutely outstanding. We managed to get the GPU up to a frequency of 1.3GHz! That is simply amazing. GALAXY deserves huge kudos for creating a video card capable of that frequency on a GTX 780. Certainly with that clock speed it will be faster than a TITAN. The memory didn’t overclock as high, that is to say, we could have gone higher on the memory, but we opted to keep the core frequency higher instead. We could have gone with a lower core overclock, and raised the memory higher, it was stable up to 6.5GHz at least, but with a 1.3GHz core overclock we had to back down to 6.3GHz. Here, core overclock makes the most difference in performance, so we definitely wanted to maintain 1.3GHz GPU frequency

Are you one of those guys that test a bunch of cards looking for the best OC then return the rest and then I buy your rejects?

It was a replacement card from EVGA. The 1/2" fittings that come included were getting caught on the backplate.. So they sent me a new replacement, and it was still having that issue. So they sent another one, but before they sent it out they made sure to test the fit.

So basically I have 3 cards, one the fittings fit properly, but the other 2 don't... The only issue is that the one that fits properly wasn't sent as a brand new unit. (Although they claim that it was).

Yeah.. now I'm just contemplating on keeping one of the 2 brand new ones, and just using my rotary fittings which has a narrower base. And since I already have collateral on 2 cards with them, and have some time to return them - I'm just weighing my options.

So, did you buy two cards to intentionally RMA the one that OC'ed worse?

I certainly hope not because that practice is pretty unethical and distasteful. Anyway, either card would be fine. 35mhz is not going to make a perceptible difference in 3d applications, and I do believe core makes more of a difference than VRAM in terms of synthetic benchmarks.

See my post above.. Let's not make any assumptions here..

From experience, you benefit a lot more from higher core clocks in games, than higher mem clocks. Higher memory clocks tend to be more beneficial in (synthetic) benchmarks.

Just continue working/tweaking on your max stable boost clocks.

It was a replacement card from EVGA. The 1/2" fittings that come included were getting caught on the backplate.. So they sent me a new replacement, and it was still having that issue. So they sent another one, but before they sent it out they made sure to test the fit.

So basically I have 3 cards, one the fittings fit properly, but the other 2 don't... The only issue is that the one that fits properly wasn't sent as a brand new unit. (Although they claim that it was).

See? That is why I hate guys that buy several cards to intentionally RMA the one that OC'ed worse. (not saying you did)

From my experience on these 780 cards, it takes about 500MHz memory speed increase to equal 100MHz core speed increase in games.

Back