Suggestions on new (to me) server.

Grimham

[H]ard|Gawd
Currently I am using a Dell Poweredge T100 II with a E3 2130 CPU and 32GB of ram. I am slowly outgrowing this system and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a new server (when I say new, I mean new to me, not brand new). I haven't spent a ton of time looking, but I know there are sometimes good deals to be had on Ebay for servers a generation or two old. What I am looking for is...

1. Minumum 8C 16T CPU
2. Must support at least 64GB of ram - it would be nice if it would take standard ram since I have nothing critical needing ECC, but that's probably not going to happen.
3. Standard tower design

So basically I'm looking for you smart people to give me a reliable used server model to look for that I'm obviously unaware of - Dell, HP, or whatever. I'll do my due diligence from there.

I'm not necessarily looking for the top of the line, looking more for "bang for buck".

Thoughts?

Thanks.

2U rackmount Dell PowerEdge R720 server with 2x 8 core CPUs, some 8gb memory sticks, H710 raid card, redundant power, decent Enterprise drives.
Probably more than you are looking to spend, but a well priced reliable unit, widely available used that would last you for many years.

I'd avoid HP as they've gotten evil about things that should be "free" (eg. iLO).

You'll do better IMHO with a workstation vs. a server just because of how heavy, large and loud they are. But, I do have one of the beasties (actually have more than one of each, and one is an evil HP server, one is an ok HP workstation).

So... if you want quiet, go workstation (Dell or HP, but Lenovo is ok too.. just a bit harder to get a good deal there). Up to you if you want to go dual processor. Sometimes you can get a better deal by going dual (oddly enough).

8C 16T? Are you running a VDI farm? :)

My big (heavy loud HP) server runs dual E5-2660's with 128G of memory, but that's for running like 50+ VMs. Might help to know what you're planning. Then we might be able to help "right size". I really wish I bought something other than that large HP ML350P Gen8. It's way too loud (and there are evil HP reasons for that).

It looks like a Dell Precision T3610 may be a contender. I'll have to do a bit more research. Technically a workstation not a server, but the price seems to be reasonable, and from what I can tell so far it supports what I want for a CPU and Memory.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Bang for buck honestly is rack mount unfortunately..

But with that said.. HP Z620 or Z820 could be an option; what is the "budget"?

It looks like a Dell Precision T3610 may be a contender. I'll have to do a bit more research. Technically a workstation not a server, but the price seems to be reasonable, and from what I can tell so far it supports what I want for a CPU and Memory.

You could also look into the Precision T7600 and Precision T7610 series, those would probably be a bit easier to get to your desired configuration and have more drive options available. (4 drive bays instead of 2), Dual network ports, Dual CPU sockets.

You could also look into the Precision T7600 and Precision T7610 series, those would probably be a bit easier to get to your desired configuration and have more drive options available. (4 drive bays instead of 2), Dual network ports, Dual CPU sockets.

Thanks, I'll give them a look too.

Bang for buck honestly is rack mount unfortunately..

But with that said.. HP Z620 or Z820 could be an option; what is the "budget"?

I hear you about the rack mount, but I just don't want one.

I don't have a fixed budget exactly but <$500.00 would be what I'd feel comfortable spending. I don't need hard drives, RAID cards, extra NICs or any of that. If I had to stick with 32GB of ram for the time being I could live with that.
The server would be in no way "mission critical", just need it to run Server 2012 with about 8 Hyper-V VMs and Plex with multiple streams.

just reading through threads... and I know this is old.. but OP didn't state what he finalized on.

so OP didn't state for home/work , test lab / home lab but I can make a recommendation...

I am using a Lenovo D30. This thing is a tower, bit big but not too big, and very quiet. I am talking VERY quite.

here are some current ebay deals... https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=lenovo+d30&_sacat=0&_udlo=290&_udhi=670&_sop=15

it seems the price has jumped a bit though.

funny thing on my setup.
I was on ebay and bought a dual supermicro rack mount server. I don't know why, but no one outbid me and no one wanted it... paid $118 to my door!!!!!!! YES !!!! $118!!!!

I didn't want a rack mounted server BUT... what I saw was... 2x xeon cpus and 128gb ram.

so when it came in, I went on ebay and scored a Lenovo Thinkstation D30 with 2 cpu and 16gb ram. shipped to my door for $400, I think as its been a while.

I swapped cpu's and memory and Craigslisted my SuperMicro for $350 and it sold THAT WEEK!!!! so I essentially paid $50!

Con - will say this first cuz there are less and not major
* DDR3 memory

What I like about the D30
* dual xeon
* 16 memory slots
* 5 drive bays together
* Plenty of onboard sata ports

so my current setup is

D30.PNG

You basically have my DL380 G6, with more memory.

a good system, handles what I throw solid.

Those can be found in the 2-300 range easily on ebay, spend the extra cash on more ram.

You basically have my DL380 G6, with more memory.

a good system, handles what I throw solid.

Those can be found in the 2-300 range easily on ebay, spend the extra cash on more ram.

And you get no support or access to any drivers/firmware updates. I tried to use a G7 from ebay and ended up returning it due to their locked down proprietary contract required bullshit. Lenovo, dell or supermicro is the only way to go for home consumers.

Back