Suggestions on new 5.1 PC speakers?

Discussion in 'Computer Audio' started by amittalkin, Sep 11, 2019.

1. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

I am looking for some good pair of 5.1 setup for my PC. Currently have none, and using my ATH M50x headphones. Specific requirement is good bass on sub-woofer.
    I am thinking of getting Logitech Z906 which is around $280 USD here. Any other options You suggest? I am from India btw.

2. owcraftsman

owcraftsman Gawd

I had the original Z5000 that lasted 10 years before the control center went bad. I absolutely loved it and almost bought a used set when it went bad but felt I would be pushing my luck. A couple of years ago I was shopping like you and ended up getting the direct replacment the Logitech Z906.
    At first I was concerned bass would suffer with the smaller less powerful subwoofer but I was pleasantly surprised. Unlike most others PC 5.1 systems the Logitech has optical input which I use for a big screen above my PC monitors and it comes with a remote control for convienence when desired. It works excellent for movies on the big screen and music and YouTube on PC. With THX certification you can rest assured it's perfomance is better than most. In any case IMHO it's a great choice and worth every penny.

3. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

Thanks, I was looking for used Z5500 as well, but didnt find any used one in my country. Missed a deal of slightly used Z906 set for $150 yesterday :/.
    5.1 Home Theatre can work as well ?

4. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Absolutely. The limiting factor for getting 5.1 output will be your sound card. If you plan to use SPD/IF (optical) cabling, you will need a sound card that supports Dolby Digital Live or (if the speakers support it) DTS encoding. This will allow you to set up Windows to use 5.1 sound, and modern games and Windows itself will automatically take advantage of it. If you DON'T have a soundcard that does Dolby Digital Live or DTS Encoding, then you can still get 5.1 sound from movies encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS via passthrough.

Many sound cards and speakers support analog 5.1 output, and these do NOT require Dolby Digital Live or DTS to get working.

5. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

Great! I already have Xonar Essence STX in my system which I suppose fulfills those requirements which You mentioned. Is there any alternative to Z906 to look for?

6. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

I have no real suggestions on speakers :) If you like the Logitech, by all means, go with the Logitech.

7. djoye

djoye 2[H]4U

I think that Logitech is the only company that makes 5.1 computer speakers, at least in the US, so you're stuck with them unless you piece together a system from more expensive parts or buy a home theater in a box.

I had the Z5500 and it was a good set for gaming, the subwoofer in the set was a huge improvement over the typical crappy computer speaker sets at the time, so I imagine that the Z906 is at least as good since it appears to be the successor of the Z5500.

8. owcraftsman

owcraftsman Gawd

If you are using the optical out then the sky is the limit but you'll need amplification for a 5.1 system.

9. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

A PC sound card is good for amplification? I own Xonar Essence STX.

10. Krispy Kritter

Krispy Kritter Gawd

No. Optical out into an amp/Receiver/AVR and then out to the speakers.

So as noted above, the Logitech or move to a HTiB (Home Theater in a Box) with an AVR (Audio Video Receiver).

The Logitech will be the smaller, easy to use system, and likely cheaper. The HTiB will take up signifcantly more space, but can be upgraded as needed.

11. amittalkin

amittalkin n00b

Alright, Z906 it is then. Found an 16 months old set for $150 here. Will look into it further. Thanks for discussion :)

12. mvmiller12

mvmiller12 Gawd

Good luck! Post back with us and let us know how it went when you get setup!

13. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

I have both.
    The z5500 sub is a little bigger and better than the z906 sub, but the z906 has slightly better everything else.

djoye likes this.
  14. Nenu

Nenu [H]ardened

It might be an idea to buy an AV Receiver (AVR) that will let you connect anywhere from 7.1 to 11.2 speakers.
    For your budget you are unlikely to pass 7.1 but its worth looking into.
    But you would have to put your speakers on hold for while.

The DAC in the AVR will serve as your soundcard.
    Sound data is sent over HDMI to the AVR.
    Most sound configuration is performed on the receiver.

This is the setup I am using for surround sound.
    For surround I use an AVR to get Atmos support
    For stereo (music) I use a high end DAC to get the clarity I want.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019 at 9:07 PM
  15. B00nie

B00nie [H]ardness Supreme

The problem with an external receiver may be audio lag. Sometimes the delay between the computer encoding and receiver decoding becomes so large that lipsync etc. show visible lag. So better try before you buy. Any bluetooth solutions are totally useless usually for this reason.

16. sharknice

sharknice [H]ard|Gawd

If you get a decent receiver and use hdmi you shouldn't have any problems with audio lag. Using optical can have issues.

A real receiver will sound better but it will cost a lot more.

I used the satellite speakers from the z906 with a Yamaha receiver and they sound a lot better than the one built into the sub they come with.