Suggestions on Dual Socket A Motherboard

Roach

Limp Gawd
Seeing that I have (2) 2400+ Mobiles I was thinking of getting a new motherboard. All I have found are 200/266 FSB versions, considering that I could get the mobiles to 2Ghz with a high multiplyer I figured it wouldn't be to bad.

What motherboard have you guys do you suggest? What has the best balance of features and speed? And are there any damn ones that don't require registered ram! :p

The best two boards for this are the MSI K7D Master L and the Iwill MXP2. People tend to hit 160MHz with these boards, especially the MXP2---but they're hard to get. I highly doubt you'll hit a 200MHz FSB due to the AMD 760MPX chipset that these boards use. I think I've seen one guy have his MPX2 hit 170MHz, but that's it. You only have two socket A SMP chipsets...the AMD 760MP and the AMD 760MPX. The MPX is the newer one and what most of the dual socket A boards use. Except for Gigabyte and Chaintechs boards (which offer an IDE RAID controller), and Tyan's Thunder version of the MPX board with on-board SCSI, the rest are all pretty similar in features.

Technically, they all need registered memory, but the 760MPX is a bit more forgiving than the 760MP. You'll probably be best off to keep the ram in the first two slots if you don't use registered DDR.

keep in mind, your processors need to be MPs to run both at the same time. I think the mobiles can be modded to MP, but im not sure.

Back