Suggestions for X99 Board

I'm considering purchasing a 5930k tomorrow from retail edge. I'm unfamiliar with the x99 lineup and was hoping to get some suggestions on possible board choices. From the limited research I've done it seems a lot of people end up having issues with their x99 boards, issues I'd like to avoid if I'm going to be purchasing one. No preferences on brand, pretty much have owned them all at one point or another, although brands that I have specifically looked at for their x99 boards include Gigabyte, Asus, and Asrock. I have a budget of around $250.

Features I would like to have:
-Bootable full speed m.2, NVMe compatible
-Intel NIC
-Several PWM 4 pin fan headers

Features I'm unsure about/don't know if I'll need:
-U.2/SFF-8639
-OC Socket?
-4x Ram slots vs 8x

Unneeded features:
-Wifi

I will need to make make a decision by tomorrow, if I can not select a board I will most likely pickup a 4790k to use with my current setup and think about doing a platform change next year.

A big thanks to any and all suggestions/advice/thoughts. Marry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

Any particular reason for purchasing the 4790k? If X99 doesn't work, perhaps Z170 may be in order.

Last edited:
I have been using an MSI X99S SLI Krait since February and have really enjoyed it. It overclocks well, supports the AIO I have on my 5820K, the hybrid cooler on my GPU, another front fan and a rear exhaust fan without any problems. RAM support has been fine and I am running my 5820K at 4.5Ghz with no issues. I do not use the M.2 slot, but it does have it. You can find the full specs online. There is a X99A edition out, but I have no experience with it. Best of luck, enjoy the new build.

Any particular reason for purchasing the 4790k? If X99 doesn't work, perhaps Z170 may be in order.

Just because I can with the good deal that retail edge offers. I currently have a 4690k so I view it as sort of a side-grade, plus I can sell the 4690k for more then the discounted 4790k will cost. Pretty much no reason not to. Unfortunately the 6700k isn't being offered by retail edge this year.

I have been using an MSI X99S SLI Krait since February and have really enjoyed it. It overclocks well, supports the AIO I have on my 5820K, the hybrid cooler on my GPU, another front fan and a rear exhaust fan without any problems. RAM support has been fine and I am running my 5820K at 4.5Ghz with no issues. I do not use the M.2 slot, but it does have it. You can find the full specs online. There is a X99A edition out, but I have no experience with it. Best of luck, enjoy the new build.

Thank you for your input. I did look at the MSI offerings, seems to be a solid choice. My only hesitation is I have no experience with their enthusiast boards, but they are generally well reviewed. Will add to my list.

Question: Is there such a thing as X99A and X99S? At first I thought it was Asus labeling but it seems other manufacturers also use X99A/S, is there a set difference between the two? A google search only brings information about Asus boards.

Last edited:
The only difference I see between the X99A and X99S is USB 3.1 support on the A. It may be just a board revision indicator on the MSI boards. If USB 3.1 is important go with the A.

I'd go with the ASUS X99-A or the GIGABYTE X99-SLI. They both meet all your requirements.

Last edited:
Thanks for the recommendations Dan, think I'm leaning towards the Asus board.

Just bought the 5930k! Luckily I'll have a rare opportunity to stop by a Microcenter next week, maybe they'll have a nice deal on a board & ram.

Just because I can with the good deal that retail edge offers. I currently have a 4690k so I view it as sort of a side-grade, plus I can sell the 4690k for more then the discounted 4790k will cost. Pretty much no reason not to. Unfortunately the 6700k isn't being offered by retail edge this year.

Thank you for your input. I did look at the MSI offerings, seems to be a solid choice. My only hesitation is I have no experience with their enthusiast boards, but they are generally well reviewed. Will add to my list.

Question: Is there such a thing as X99A and X99S? At first I thought it was Asus labeling but it seems other manufacturers also use X99A/S, is there a set difference between the two? A google search only brings information about Asus boards.

Kyle could have any motherboard in the world that he wanted. He chose the MSI X99S XPower AC. I don't think there is a better endorsement than putting a given board into our own boxes.

Some differences I noticed between the X99 boards are the number of PCIe lanes they support, which also differs on the different CPUs. Once you go for an NVMe SSD it will use some (4?) of these. I founds this really confusing as it is not clear when you look at the board specs.

I'm pretty happy my ASRock X99WS has the maximum capacity but it is an EATX size and the CPU has 40 lanes rather than 28. I chose this mainly for upgradability in future and it doesnt really affect the price.

Further, if anyone is interested in building a Workstation/Server, this is the only board I found on which the Windows Server OSs are supported (it has a different LAN chip - the usual ones do not have Server drivers available). I had no issues with drivers or compatibility with any of the hardware.

Kyle could have any motherboard in the world that he wanted. He chose the MSI X99S XPower AC. I don't think there is a better endorsement than putting a given board into our own boxes.

Couldn't agree more!

I've narrowed my choices down to the MSI X99A SLI KRAIT, Asus X99-A, and Asrock Extreme 4. All of them are the new revisions with USB3.1 support, don't really care about usb3.1 but figured I might as well go with the newer revisions. All three are within $25 of each other and seem to mostly have the same features. I'm going to wait till the processor arrives before picking up a motherboard. I'm sure any of the three will work out great.

Again thanks for the imput Dan, always nice having the motherboard editor comment on motherboard questions!

if my 2 cents matters at all, I can speak (type) with actual usage behind what im about to type. I have 2 boards I can recommend here:

1. Asus X99A has everything u listed that you want along with OC socket. I had one issue with a bios update that severely messed up the board (I did not cause the bios brick) but i brought it back to life with bios flash back procedure. OC's well, good bios, great mem oc's... Just a good board all around

2. Asrock X99 Killer X 3.1 EXCELLENT MOTHERBOARD, has all the features you are wanting along with the OC socket. Simple OC's, OC'd better then the X99A Asus using .20mv less voltage! Everything "just works" on this board and is my current board in my massively watercooled, oc'd, overvolted gaming PC. Great board and gets my #1 recommendation.

EDIT**** just so you know, if you are looking into asrock boards, keep in mind "ANY" board they offer that is USB 3.1 in the name..... Will feature the OC socket

Last edited:
Thanks for recommending the Asrock killer board! I did not consider it because of the killer name, thinking it didn't have an intel NIC. Now I know it has both. I like my z87 killer except for the killer NIC on it, I'll replace the extreme 4 with the killer board in my list.

*Only bummer with the Killer board is it has just 2 4pin fan headers.

Last edited:
Back