suggestions for web-based email other than Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail please?

DaRuSsIaMaN

[H]ard|Gawd
I already have two Gmail accounts. No doubt, Gmail is the best! But I don't want to have more Gmail accounts because it's a hassle to switch back and forth, even with FF extensions. It's easier to just click a different bookmark without even having to close my current email session to go to the other account. Hence I have a Yahoo account for all my less-important stuff, such as newegg promos, other promos, political emails, etc. However, I have some issues with Yahoo. There are some promos that I cannot receive, even after I added the domain name to my contacts list. It says on the website that my address is signed up, but I never receive the emails, either in inbox nor in the spam folder. Also, sometimes the yahoo account doesn't work right away. I don't want to bore you with details...

Anyway, the point is, I would like to replace my yahoo account with a different web-based email, but NOT gmail. And I think I want to try something other than hotmail also. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Thanks, that is actually pretty helpful.

However, it's hard to know from the descriptions which one of these, if any, offers message threading like gmail does. For instance, the writers explicitly state that AIM mail does not, but it's not mentioned one way or the other for the others in the list.

Anyone know of an email service that threads emails the way Gmail does? It's pretty dumb to have separate emails every time someone replies and, as a result, to have multiple emails scattered in your inbox, all pertaining to the same conversation.

You're approaching this the wrong way in my opinion. Gmail is both a service and a web client: it can pull in e-mail via IMAP or POP3 from other accounts and send via SMTP through those accounts, so you never have to leave the tab to send/receive e-mails from different addresses. You can either get more Gmail accounts and tie them together in one login, or do the more sensible thing and sign up for a Google Apps account and create additional users, then bring those e-mail addresses into your Google Apps (or Gmail) accounts. Note that this will require that you use a domain name you own.

Alternatively, you can generally send your less important stuff to an address mask. So, instead of [email protected], you use "[email protected]". You can then set up a simple filter to automatically direct e-mails sent to the latter to a specific label, mark them as read, remove them from the inbox (archive), whatever. In some cases, though, form validation may prevent you from using the + symbol in a text field, so you may still want an additional user account you can pull e-mail in through to your main account (filtered if necessary).

Not sure if this will help, either -- but google does allow you to quickly switch between accounts. I've never used it, but I was reading about it the other day.

Both of the options are under the account settings, which you can get to by clicking the gear in the upper right.

Once you're on this screen, hit the multiple accounts link. It lets you enable and use multiple accounts from one web browser.

Another option that you might be able to take advantage of us the alternate email addresses. It allows you to add email addresses to your account.

Like I said, I never used either of them, but there always seems to be a way with google...

Back