Suggestions for my build

rage4order

Gawd
So, I have an i7 9700 that's been sitting in my closet for a few months now. I finally want to put this to use but been out of the build game for quite a few years. It'll essentially be a budget build since I don't do any gaming and it's main usage will be as a media server.I do a bit of photo editing and, rarely, some video editing. So, with that said, I feel like I can go without a gpu for now and would like suggestions on motherboard, memory and a case. Any other suggestions/recommendations would also be appreciated. TIA!

Where do you plan on buying your gear from?
USA, Europe. Newegg, amazon, microcenter etc...
Whats your total budget?
How do feel about buying used gear to save some loot?
Any plans to oc in the future?

Where do you plan on buying your gear from?
USA, Europe. Newegg, amazon, microcenter etc...
Whats your total budget?
How do feel about buying used gear to save some loot?
Any plans to oc in the future?
Hadn't thought about what country! Lol! I guess in the USA, and probably from Amazon or newegg(no microcenter near me). Seeing as I don't need a gpu, I'm hoping to keep it around $400 or so. I'd prefer everything new. No plans to oc either.

so what all are you expecting to buy with that $400? everything but the chip and gpu? nm, i missed the board ram and case part...
i just looked. you can put together a board, ram and case for 300-350 if you get just basic stuff. like an asrock mobo, value select ram and basically any <$100 case you want. got a heat sink or did the 9700 come with?

Last edited:
so what all are you expecting to buy with that $400? everything but the chip and gpu? nm, i missed the board ram and case part...
i just looked. you can put together a board, ram and case for 300-350 if you get just basic stuff. like an asrock mobo, value select ram and basically any <$100 case you want. got a heat sink or did the 9700 come with?
Yea I figured i could get a decent build at my price point. I'm really looking for suggestions on brands since I imagine things have changed quite a bit since my last build. Are there certain manufacturers I should avoid? What are the best budget brands?

Yea I figured i could get a decent build at my price point. I'm really looking for suggestions on brands since I imagine things have changed quite a bit since my last build. Are there certain manufacturers I should avoid? What are the best budget brands?
asrock is the best budget choice. you can get a z390 board for ~140, everything else jumps to 200+. you can get some basic corsair or kingston value ram, it works fine but isnt the fastest or fancy. and i have become a big fan of phanteks cases, great bang for buck.

asrock is the best budget choice. you can get a z390 board for ~140, everything else jumps to 200+. you can get some basic corsair or kingston value ram, it works fine but isnt the fastest or fancy. and i have become a big fan of phanteks cases, great bang for buck.
Thanks for the input. So far I have purchased the asrock z390 you suggested, Seasonic 650w gold psu and an Antec case. I'm at $260(after a couple of rebates) with just RAM and a new SSD to buy.

no prob!

ummm... that wasnt on the list but youve got just enough left for ram and ssd. probably could go 16gb and 512gb or 8gb and 1tb, your call.
Lol! Yea, I was thinking about just using the hard drive I have now(its a 500gb Samsung SSD) but I think I'm gonna just spring for a new one and give my son my current rig as it is.

Last edited:
Back