suggestions for i7 6700k and evga 1060 sff system ?

oldy

Weaksauce
hi

for ovar a year now and i have been thinking about having a sff gaming system

and i feel now is the right time for me

i am a causal gamer and never did a over clock so i am Hesitating between 6700 and 6700k also i will add a EVGA 1060 SC later on (few months from now) or a better low profile card with good performances and pricing

i chose for now the case which combined three element i am looking for in it (SilverStone ML08B-H)

1- very sff
2- good price
3- handle

i want 16 gb of ram
itx MoBo that have type-c USB , ac wireless and nvme m.2 slot
sfx psu (as much watts as the specs need) and silent
cpu low profile cooler ( is air cooling enough for mild over-clocking?)

also need your recommendation for where to get the stuff (amazon or newegg) and is there a near saving season in the US ? so i can get it for better value

need your help and suggestions would be Appreciated

I would save some cash & go for an i5 CPU… Maybe even take that savings and put it towards a mITX 1070…!

For PSU I recommend the corsair SF450. For motherboard it depends on which functions the USB C port needs to have. Either a bundle of a Gigabyte B150 Phoenix itx (USB 3.0C) with a 6700 or a Asrock Z170 Fatality board (costs double, USB 3.1C) with a 6700K. Anither option would be the gigabyte gaming itx board which also has thunderbold support on the USBC port. For CPU cooler, take a look at the silverstone AR06. It should have enough headroom for a mild OC, however don't expect silence in that case. I'm not living in the US so no clue as to how you get the stuff the cheapest... For ram, generally just take the cheapest DDR4 you can find in your capacity and your speed (take 2133MHz if you don't care) from a reputable brand like Hyperx, Corsair, Crucial, Gskill etc.

Last edited:
For PSU I recommend the corsair SF450. For motherboard it depends on which functions the USB C port needs to have. Either a bundle of a Gigabyte B150 Phoenix itx (USB 3.0C) with a 6700 or a Asrock Z170 Fatality board (costs double, USB 3.1C) with a 6700K. Anither option would be the gigabyte gaming itx board which also has thunderbold support on the USBC port. For CPU cooler, take a look at the silverstone AR06. It should have enough headroom for a mild OC, however don't expect silence in that case. I'm not living in the US so no clue as to how you get the stuff the cheapest... For ram, generally just take the cheapest DDR4 you can find in your capacity and your speed (take 2133MHz if you don't care) from a reputable brand like Hyperx, Corsair, Crucial, Gskill etc.

is 450 watt ok for the system with gtx 1060 or even 1070 ?
also gigabyte gaming itx got some bad reviews on newegg saying it dies after few months
gigabyte gaming itx on the other hand have the same feature for less money (dont know about it OC performance ? )

* the computer has to be quiet since it will be right next to me

I would save some cash & go for an i5 CPU… Maybe even take that savings and put it towards a mITX 1070…!

will the defrence between i7 and i5 be big especially in gaming (bottleneck or something?)

Last edited:
If you want it to be quiet, I would get the Broadwell i7 5775C. Its 65w. The 6700K is 91w. The Broadwell will be easier to cool. It has a 128mb EDRAM cache on the chip, which allows it to perform as well or better, than the 6700k. Even though it has less MHz. And you can overclock the 5775C, if you want.

Have a look at Techreport's review of the 6700k. The gaming results compare it to the 5775C
Intel's Core i7-6700K 'Skylake' processor reviewed

*there is also an i5 Broadwell, which has the EDRAM, too.
The Intel Broadwell Desktop Review: Core i7-5775C and Core i5-5675C Tested (Part 1)

Last edited:
i am a causal gamer

What does this mean? Are you "casual" in the sense that you only play a few hours a week on your own, but you still play very demanding games? Or are you "casual" in that you play some web browser games? How about typical e-sports games like LoL and SC2? All these can have a big impact on graphics card choices.

is 450 watt ok for the system with gtx 1060 or even 1070 ?

Yes. The GTX 1060 is 120W and GTX 1070 is 150W. Intel mainstream quad core CPUs are all under 100W. The most power hungry HDDs aren't over 15W at spinup.

What does this mean? Are you "casual" in the sense that you only play a few hours a week on your own, but you still play very demanding games? Or are you "casual" in that you play some web browser games? How about typical e-sports games like LoL and SC2? All these can have a big impact on graphics card choices.

Yes. The GTX 1060 is 120W and GTX 1070 is 150W. Intel mainstream quad core CPUs are all under 100W. The most power hungry HDDs aren't over 15W at spinup.

exactly i play few hours a week but high demanding games like gta v

If you want it to be quiet, I would get the Broadwell i7 5775C. Its 65w. The 6700K is 91w. The Broadwell will be easier to cool. It has a 128mb EDRAM cache on the chip, which allows it to perform as well or better, than the 6700k. Even though it has less MHz. And you can overclock the 5775C, if you want.

Have a look at Techreport's review of the 6700k. The gaming results compare it to the 5775C
Intel's Core i7-6700K 'Skylake' processor reviewed

*there is also an i5 Broadwell, which has the EDRAM, too.
The Intel Broadwell Desktop Review: Core i7-5775C and Core i5-5675C Tested (Part 1)

they still more expensive than the one i settle in (i5 6500) since i am coming from laptops so i dont wont to go all the way in (test out if desktop environment will fit me after years with laptops)

since i cant OC should i stick with stock cooler or go with something else like Noctua NH-L9I which fit into my case
or Cooler Master GeminII M4 which seems more popular but it 59 mm and i only have 58 mm clearances (SilverStone ML08B-H)

exactly i play few hours a week but high demanding games like gta v

Ok, then you still need higher end performance. Unless you are going 4k right out of the gate, a GTX 1060 would probably be perfect.

since i cant OC should i stick with stock cooler or go with something else

Stock cooler is fine for stock clocks as long as you install it right and enable "smart fan" in BIOS.

Ok, then you still need higher end performance. Unless you are going 4k right out of the gate, a GTX 1060 would probably be perfect.

Stock cooler is fine for stock clocks as long as you install it right and enable "smart fan" in BIOS.

i dont have 4k monitor and dont plan to in the near future , will stick with 1440p

is the stock cooler low profile ? can i install it into slim case like (SilverStone ML08B-H)

and most importantly is it quiet under load ?

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.

This is pretty much my build and it has been amazing so far:

Silverstone ML08B-H
Corsair SF600
i5-6600k
Silverstone AR06
Gigabyte GA-170N-Gaming
16GB Corsair DDR4 3200
500GB Samsung EVO m.2 / 256GB Corsair MX100
3TB Seagate in a USB3.0 enclosure for media

I'm still using my old 4GB GTX670 while I wait for the 1070 to drop to MSRP and to hopefully bundle BF1.

Last edited:
For gaming, you won't need an i7. That is only if you need the extra threads (and heat) for content creation or virtual machines. An i5 will be just fine.

For gaming, you won't need an i7. That is only if you need the extra threads (and heat) for content creation or virtual machines. An i5 will be just fine.

If you are planning on doing any streaming of your gameplay, then the i7 actually would come in handy…

If you are planning on doing any streaming of your gameplay, then the i7 actually would come in handy…
Maybe if you even use your CPU cores, to process the video stream. A lot of people use Qucksync or their video cards, to accelerate the encoding.

Back