Suggestions for home phone service over internet

zerochilly

n00b
Hi, so I have 2 verizon cell phones in my home and the cell signal here is abysmal. Even though I'm within spitting distance of downtown Chicago, my cell signal at home is frequently 3g and 1 bar if i'm lucky, on either phone (samsung galaxy s6 and s7).

i would like to do one of the following, but i have no clue about either right now :)

1. use our cell phones to make calls over wifi. i have great internet and strong wifi throughout the house so if i can configure my phones to use wifi to make calls, that would be great.

2. i do not want to pay my isp for voip but i think there are devices out there that i can add to my network that would provide voip type service. i do not mind purchasing a device to install on the network, and then purchasing a "regular" phone to connect through that other device in order to get phone service.

any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i am tired of having to make calls and have conversations next to my patio doors at either end of the house lol.

thanks for any and all feedback!

See if your cell phone provider allows/offers Wi-Fi calling. Otherwise, you can do as BudgetBuilder says and use a VOIP app on your smartphone or go with a VOIP provider like Ooma, Magic Jack, or Walmart/TracFone has one that is a box you can hook a traditional corded or cordless phone up to (and sometimes your smartphones depending on device) and it uses your internet connection for calls.

I have a Samsung Note 2 which I am thinking about updating. My phone carrier is Verizon and my home cable service and WiFi is Comcast (whatever they are calling their WiFi over cable today). It is very easy to go in the menus (push the leftmost button at any home screen (unlocked). Choose "Settings" and set the phone to use WiFi if available, set available to mean encrypted, and add any WiFi hotpoints you want to use to the phone.) I currently have just two: home and church--we moved the bridge club to the church. When I travel--usually to bridge tournaments--I add the hotel's WiFi to my phone. If you need further details

Get a free Google Voice number install the app on your phone and use that. 100% free Wi-Fi calling right on the phones you already have.

Heck, I don't even use my VZW number anymore since G-Voice allows for so much more control.....

If you must emulate a POTS line do as mmettin said and pick up an Obi unit. I used something similar a few years ago from a company called BroadVoice.

Let us know what you decide to do - good luck!

~RF

Reactions: K-Mac
like this
thanks for all the replies!

so far i have only tried google voice but i'm not sure how to tell if it's using my cellular or wifi signal o_O

Google Voice will use any internet connection available. If your wi-fi is turned on it will always use that first like anything else.

If you want to double check make a call using Google Voice to another phone and see which number shows up... your carrier number or your G-Voice number. You could also turn off your radio, disconnecting the carrier network, and just leave W-Fi on to make sure.

Also be sure and login to voice.google.com from a computer to double check your settings. It's much easier than the app's settings.

Good luck!!

~RF

is there a way to use the google voice number (wifi) only when i'm dialing through the google voice app? right now it's asking me which number to use every time. if i use my phone's dialer, i want it to go through verizon. if i use the google voice app, then i want it to go through wifi. does that make sense? :eek: hehe

is there a way to use the google voice number (wifi) only when i'm dialing through the google voice app? right now it's asking me which number to use every time. if i use my phone's dialer, i want it to go through verizon. if i use the google voice app, then i want it to go through wifi. does that make sense? :eek: hehe

There is an option for that actually. When you first install the Google Voice app it asks you that exact question. (It's easy to miss)

I'm not sure how to toggle that option without reinstalling but I know you can... just can't remember how at the moment. If you can't find it, uninstall and reinstall and pay close attention.

Before (or when) you make your first call it will ask you if you want to be asked every time, etc.

~RF

hmm yes i have seen that option and can change it in the app.

i guess it all comes down to trying to figure out how i can do these 2 things:

in google voice app, dial anyone and it uses wifi. i don't care if it uses my google number or the real cell number.
in the samsung phone app, dial anyone and it uses cellular signal.

my phone app (verizon) "says" it will use wifi if the cellular signal is weak but it never uses wifi at all. that's why i looked into this in the first place. i need something to be able to make calls anywhere in my house instead of standing in front of the window all the time rofl :D

thanks for all the suggestions!

hmm yes i have seen that option and can change it in the app.

i guess it all comes down to trying to figure out how i can do these 2 things:

in google voice app, dial anyone and it uses wifi. i don't care if it uses my google number or the real cell number.
in the samsung phone app, dial anyone and it uses cellular signal.

my phone app (verizon) "says" it will use wifi if the cellular signal is weak but it never uses wifi at all. that's why i looked into this in the first place. i need something to be able to make calls anywhere in my house instead of standing in front of the window all the time rofl :D

thanks for all the suggestions!

If you put it in airplane mode will it let you make wi-fi calls? With T-Mobile I can put it in airplane mode and it autmoatically turns wifi calling/messaging on.

I use and app called TextNow on my daughters cell phone that I took the old sim card out of so no service .. she calls and texts her cousins and what not for free over wifi .. has her own number, etc. You can use any old android phone as a "landline" if you want.

I use old cell phones for security cameras inside my house too ..

i put it in airplane mode and tried texting - i use android messages not my verizon text app, and it worked fine over wifi

Back