Suggestions For Business Laptop

UncleDavid218

2[H]4U
I have a client who is looking at purchasing a new laptop. Price is hardly an object, but I'd say below $2,000 is good. His requirements are as follows:

Thin and light
Powerhouse - no slowdowns
Built in cellular WAN
Smallish - he likes the size of my MacBook. Between 13.3" and 14.1" is good.
Dockable - he wants to have a huge monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. at home
Optical drive

He doesn't use the machine for anything out of he ordinary. He works a lot in MS Office, Outlook, and is a power user online. He just wants a machine that's going to be quick all the time.
I'm thinking of looking at Elitebooks, Lenovos, and Dell Precisions. Any particular suggestions before I begin my research?

I'll mix things up and vote for the EliteBook line. I'm very happy with my HP Compaq 2510p, and it's just an earlier variant of the HP Compaq 2530p / Elitebook 2530p. I do wish it was a 2530 if only for the internal SATA drives and full size internal harddrive (it would be much quicker, the 1.8" PATA ZIF HDD is its weakest point by far) but it's quick enough for anything on the net, office work, very light gaming... great battery life with the 6 cell I use, too. That was a very important factor for me. There are tablet variants if he'd be interested in those.

Last edited:
T400s or T400 would be my suggestion as well. Probably the S at this point, as the docking station for it is what the next generation of Thinkpad will use.

I used to love it...but the W500 uses a SATA DVD drive, where the T60 and T61P I used before (as well as the R60 and T61 I didn't connect to the dock) used parallel...so I don't have an optical drive in it. I don't really need an optical (I can just use my USB external), but it was nice to have.

Next docking station I get, doubt I'll get the highest end one, just stick with what I need. I could go with the one a step down.

Hi,

I will put my two cents in and Vote for any of the T series laptops.... :D

MnR

i wouldn't look any further than the lenovo t400s, based upon your requirements
if you can afford to wait a few more months, the t410s will be out, which will give you arrandale architecture

Back