Suggestions for a small tablet for reading books, magazines, newspapers?

Tyler-Durden

2[H]4U
I started out wanting just an e-reader, but the best models (Amazon Paperwhite and Kobo Aura) are only about $30 less expensive than some pretty good 7" tablet refurbs. I'm trying a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7", right now. Its performance is kinda slow and choppy so I'm returning it. I think the 2013 Nexus 7 probably is a good bet, though I really don't like the big bezels at the top/bottom. Any other suggestions? I certainly don't need the latest and greatest, given my limited planned use for a tablet.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you tried a dedicated reader though? The e-paper displays have very different characteristics to the LCDs you see used on actual tablets. I won't necessarily say they are better or worse but they are for sure very different with a set of pros/cons/limitations. So it isn't really a scenario of spending $30 more for something with more capability as the experience is not the same.

Are you specifically looking for a 7 inch android? Otherwise if 1280x800 is okay with you I think the Asus Vivotab Note 8 (Win 8.1) is also getting down there in price, the pen would also give the added function of doing annotations.

The Nexus 7 I think is better, of the 2 you compared, due to the higher resolution screen. Might get even cheaper with the Nexus 9 rumored to be releasing this month.

I wonder if the Tab S will drop into the upper $200 range as well with holiday sales coming up, you get an OLED screen then if you want to spend a bit more.

Hey, thanks for the comments. :)

I used a Paperwhite a couple years ago, so definitely understand what you mean about the differences/pros/cons of e-ink vs. LCD screens. I like both, but tend to see things clearer on a glossy tablet screen. If I get a tablet, it'll be a 7". Don't want to go any bigger. I'm not opposed to 1200x800. That's the screen rez of the Galaxy Tab 4. I like everything about the GT4 except its slow/choppy responsiveness.

The one thing I love about the e-readers, however, is their portability. You can stuff those little guys in a portfolio or pants pocket and go.

Back