Suggestions for a sata DVD/CD burner?

Cally

Limp Gawd
Are these all pretty much the same? I think I need to stay away from any that have lightscribe. Other that that one looks like another to me.

They're all $25 products, don't expect them to last long. I went with a highly rated Asus burner from Newegg, and it died after like 2 weeks, of hardly any use.

They're all $25 products, don't expect them to last long. I went with a highly rated Asus burner from Newegg, and it died after like 2 weeks, of hardly any use.

O.O I've never heard of something like that... have you RMA'd it?

Back on topic, most of the DVD burners out there are pretty good, I own an LG dvd burner, it's 5+ years old and it still runs like a champ.
Word of advice: Never burn anything past 8x... there's really no need to burn stuff super-duper fast...

Can't really go wrong with Lite-On typically.
Also heard good things about LG.

48x CDR (still have a plain cd deck in car =/) and 16x DVD burning seems perfectly reliable in my experiences for many months now. Don't think I've had any significant problems in years... back when 16x media was newish and a bit rare, another story. The $15/100 16x Verbatim spindles from newegg I last stocked up on for example burn flawlessly.

It depends on your needs/wants. I have been copying my dvd collection to my server and wanted a drive that would let me rip the dvd fast. Found a review from MaximumPC on the Samsung SSH-223 (?). With a codeguys firmware hack, you can speed it up enough to rip a DVD in about 8 minutes. It's made a noticeable difference in the process for me with rips taking about half the time of my old drive. It only cost about $25.

im using 2 lite-on SATA burners.

And I've never had a 25 dollars burner die quickly. They are still going strong after many years and lots of burned media.

Never burn past 8x?

Your time is worth it, specially if you need to burn 20 discs

For my new build, I went with all SATA drives. I ended up with this Samsung DVD-RW. It's hella fast and very quiet. I'm very happy with the drive; easy to recommend.

Sounds like pretty typical "infant mortality" in electronic products, to me. With modern hardware, component or soldering defects typically show up pretty quickly after a few thermal cycles. RMA the drive and I'll bet the replacement lasts for years.

Back