Suggestions for a compact ITX case?

gsilver

Gawd
I want a case that is as compact as possible, but will support a Flex ATX power supply (as I already have one) and a low profile video card 170mm in length. I really need more video power on my HTPC than what I'm getting from the integrated chipset, and my options are either a new case, or replacing the MB/CPU/Ram with something better. The case + video card is definitely the cheaper option, plus it should be a lot faster.

This is the video card that I was thinking of:
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Sapp...n-HD-7750-Low-Profile-Video-Card-284133.shtml

Here is a case that I'm interested in:
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/c158b_60w

It won't work for what I need (it uses an external PSU and only supports cards up to 165mm) but I like the concept. The video card is rotated 90 degrees to allow a slim form factor, so it will easily fit into the area that I have available.

I've been looking around, and this one seems most promising:
http://www.mini-itx.com/store/?c=3#joujye568i-250W

Though, I can't find anything that says how much clearance I'll have for a CPU cooler if I use the 3.5" mounting bracket.

I looked through Silverstone's site, and I didn't find any that met my criteria quite as well. They're either larger, or have external PSUs.

Wow...the Jou Jye case looks like it might be quite the tight fit!

Is a ODD necessary? If not you might have some decent clearance...if you DO need one you are definitely going to be looking at low profile coolers, or maybe even stock cooling if Intel (I know my 2500k came with a pretty thin heatsink).

If you will be gaming, get a powerful gpu because you wont be able to crossfire/sli in the future.

I'm going to pass on the optical drive, and with the case, it won't work anyway with the 3.5" drive. I don't even have an optical drive on my main desktop anymore. I've got an external for the rare occasions when it was necessary.

As for the GPU, there was a low profile Radeon 7750 that was recently announced. It should be sufficient for what I need, unless there's an Nvidia card that I should be looking into.

Ok, the Jou Jye case is probably off the table. I can't find either reviews or US sellers.

I'm still looking around. My requirements are being able to fit a 3.5" HDD, a low profile video card, and a Flex ATX power supply, while taking up the least amount of space possible (I only have a small media rack to put it on).

The MI-008 is bargain basement pricing and construction quality (also the psu it comes with is crap, but that doesn't really affect you)

Yeah. Better build quality is definitely preferred, but I've been having a hard time finding ones that look better constructed while fitting my criteria. I'd go for something like the Luxa2 LM100 if its thermals weren't so bad.

Well, maybe not *that* expensive ($300 is :rolleyes:), but something better than these $50 ones.

Last edited:
Well, I decided to go with the In Win BP671, a SS-350TGM PSU (I can't use my current one with that case, sadly) and a VisonTek Radeon 7750. I should everything this week.

Back