Suggestions for 2 x 1GB

BinaryBob

n00b
I've been reading alot about RAM around the forums. Seems the most recommended is Crucial, but I'm looking for a 2 x 1GB setup and it seems that the Crucial uses a sub-par chip for those? Correct me if I'm wrong. So it seems G.Skill is also highly recommended, for the 2 x 1GB area.

For G.Skill I'm looking at these: http://tinyurl.com/965gy
Recommendations?

Unless I can get a recommendation for a better performing / over clocking pair of Gigs, or confirmation that the Crucials are using the good chips (microns?) in their 1GB sticks :)

Other plans include DFI nf4 board, (still narrow that down - any suggestions?), and an Opteron 165

lately thier seem to have been some problems with Ballistix kits but Its most likely just a bad batch as I know many people with them that have nary a problem. OCZ makes some great 2gb kits as well, you may want to check them out too.

i'm going with czar on this one ;)
a crucial rep has told me that the ballistix will always use micron. the value is almost always micron, but during times of high demand, crucial will sometimes stick samsung chips in

also, i'm fairly certain it's just that somewhere in crucial/micron there was a boo-boo and a bad batch. i'm sure they'll get the problem resolved. i'm actually kinda surprised we aren't seeing any 1gb sticks with the F die in it yet

for the ram to buy.. that depends a lot. how much do you want to oc and how much do you want to spend? remember that memory speeds are very.. minor in overall performance for a64's :p

I want to get the Opty, up to 2.4Ghz AT LEAST (thats what the Barton I have is at right now) I'll be running air on a XP120, so I don't know the limit yet without one to play with of course. I just like to get as high as it is easily stable, without messing too much with volts, thats what starts making me nervous ;)

Price, willing to spend around 300 +/-

So Crucial 2GB > G.Skill 2GB ?

If your going to be running at stock mem speeds (250mhz fsb) than it won't really matter. If your going to be doing alot of overclocking past that then your going to want to grab the ballistix, I havn't seen the best o/c results from the G'skill.

I too am looking for a set of 1Gb sticks(2x1gb). Right now im running 2x512 Ballistix PC3200, and this stuff has been great It runs. prime stable@ 257mhz 2.5-3-2-5 1T 2.7v. Im curious if the 1GB sticks are as good?

I've heard good things about
Ballistix <<had awesome experiences
OCZ
Gskill

Im running my 165@290Htt(2606mhz) with a 9:10 divider (237.5mhz 2.5-2-2-2 [email protected])right now on my DFI LanParty SLI-DR. I havn't tried to push it any further yet.. but I know pretty soon I am going to need another GB, but I want 1t so im going to sell these and buy 2x1gb.

Which memory overclocks the highest at <,= 2.8v?

if you want the highest mhz possible at low voltage, something based on TCCD may be the way to go

I beg to differ on the G.SKILL not ocing. You have to play you're cards right and find its sweet spot in the settings. At first I could'nt even reach stock speeds. However right now I'm running Prime95 in the background as I type with 275Mhz. 3-4-4-8. All you have to do really is drop your multi when you're cpu hits it's limit, and you could probably reach 285 or higher possibly with only 2.5-2.6V on the memory.

yes, but to be on the opposing side, i've seen tccd do the same speeds, and sometimes a lot higher at tighter timings. however, it doesn't come in 1gb sticks, so that's useless :p

yeah, i had a brain fart when i posted before, i'm covering my ass now :p

but yeah, if you want the max oc with a 1gb stick, ballistix is the way to go, but some of em have been having issues lately. ymmv i guess :(

Cool, order for ballistix is in *cross fingers*.

Lets hope I get some good stuff, is there any indications in terms of serial numbers etc that I can look at to determin my chances? or is it purely stick by stick ?

Yeah Bob, you know after reading through that dfi forum I would say dont go with the Ballistix.. I would send an email to whoever you bought them from and cancel your order... It may be great when it works but there are quite a few people who are getting bad 1gb sticks...

I hope my 512mb's dont crap out after a couple months on this DFI board.. anyways thanks for linking that. Go with OCZ

BinaryBob said:
*nervous* I might cancel that part of the order, thats far too many people...
we have those kinds of threads here too. my opinion on it? keep the ram cool. if it fails, use your warranty. i think crucial just shipped out a bad batch a while ago, and the failing sticks should go away eventually

Um, I don't overclock and just had my second set of Ballistix fail.

See the other threads on Ballistix issues (on the 1GB modules).

-Larry

Baker_God said:
If your going to be running at stock mem speeds (250mhz fsb) than it won't really matter. If your going to be doing alot of overclocking past that then your going to want to grab the ballistix, I havn't seen the best o/c results from the G'skill.

I used to have the ever famous G.Skill GBLE 2x512 0437 TCCD for ram but wanted/needed 2 gigs and i had a hard time finding ram that will run decent timings. Well this new 2x1 gb g.skill i bought runs tighter timings at 250 fsb then my TCCDs did BUT they probably won't run 300 fsb but i hate crappy timings for some more fsb anyways so i'm VERY happy with this memory! See my sig for timings, etc. *hugs his g.skill* :)

Back