Suggestions: Best TV under $800usd

I am moving in a couple weeks and I am looking to buy a new TV. I am looking for something around 65"
I was told Samsung is the way to go "shrugs"... I understand 4K and 120hz is must-haves? Is there anything else??

I don't watch a whole ton of tv but when I do it's generally just Netflix or Hulu and I may pick up one of those new Xboxs at some point if that helps suggestions. I would like to stay under $800usd if possible... Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

I don't think any 4K120 screens under $800 exist right now. Come back in June...

Even then, at 65"? It will probably have to be a Black Friday sale. I mean smaller TVs like 43" 4K120 TVs like the Sony X85J coming in June is gonna be $800 alone...

Last edited:
I don't think any 4K120 screens under $800 exist right now. Come back in June...

Even then, at 65"? It will probably have to be a Black Friday sale. I mean smaller TVs like 43" 4K120 TVs like the Sony X85J coming in June is gonna be $800 alone...

Ah... What do you think I am looking at cost wise for a good quality 4K120 65" ? I don't need flagship. Thanks

If you have MC near you. They have refurbished LG CX OLEDs starting at $999. The 55" went up to $1100 unfortunately. It is worth paying the extra for them I believe. You not getting anything really good under $800.

Ah... What do you think I am looking at cost wise for a good quality 4K120 65" ? I don't need flagship. Thanks
remember, you want a TV that can receive a 4k 120hz input and the only cards that can do that are the ones with HDMI 2.1 which are only the Nvidia 3000 series and maybe the new AMD's.
LG CX OLED are the only ones that comes to mind at the moment.

For me, Samsung isn't even a consideration since they don't support Dolby Vision. Something with a quantum dot VA panel would be my suggestion if they are available in that price range these days. Skip anything with an IPS panel.

I also don't think 120 Hz is that important. Movies and whos don't need it, and for console gaming at 4K 60 Hz should be fine.

OLED is fine if you are okay that it will burn in at some point. I would only buy one from Best Buy since their Geek Squad warranty is the only one that will cover it. For what it's worth, I have an LG CX and look forward to going back to a quantum dot LCD.

For me, Samsung isn't even a consideration since they don't support Dolby Vision. Something with a quantum dot VA panel would be my suggestion if they are available in that price range these days. Skip anything with an IPS panel.
Dolby Vision is over rated. It was pretty much invented for TV that could not hit above 1000nits and they have to dynamically adjust the contrast and brightness to make the HDR look decent. But if you already have ~1500 nits to work with, you don't really need to adjust them on the fly to make the picture looks good.

Last edited:
I also don't think 120 Hz is that important. Movies and whos don't need it, and for console gaming at 4K 60 Hz should be fine.

This I do agree. even a 3080 couldn't drive modern games at 4K full detail at much over 60hz.

Dolby Vision is over rated. It was pretty much invented for TV that could not hit above 1000nits and they have to dynamically adjust the contrast and brightness to make the HDR look decent. But if you already have ~1500 nits to work with, you don't really need to adjust them on the fly to make the picture looks good.
That's not how it works.

I wasn't going to respond to this, but now I feel like I need to.

You're dead wrong.

I've done multiple comparisons of content in Dolby Vision on my LG CX vs. HDR10(+) on my Samsung Q90R. In streaming HDR content, there is no comparison; Dolby Vision wins every time. The meta data provided allows the TV to better calculate highlights and dark areas. My biggest issue with HDR10 on the Q90R is it has this weird "gamma darkening" effect where supposedly bright parts are darkened because the areas around the bright part are dark. This effect is not present on the CX; bright parts are bright, and dark parts are dark. The Q90R only gets it right probably 70% of the time, while the CX and Dolby Vision get it right. Every. Time.

The meta data is what allows Dolby Vision HDR to punch so hard. HDR10 can't compete. If what you said was true, the Q90R and it's amazing 1500+ nits peak brightness would crush the CX. But it doesn't. Not even close.

I wasn't going to respond to this, but now I feel like I need to.

You're dead wrong.

I've done multiple comparisons of content in Dolby Vision on my LG CX vs. HDR10(+) on my Samsung Q90R. In streaming HDR content, there is no comparison; Dolby Vision wins every time. The meta data provided allows the TV to better calculate highlights and dark areas. My biggest issue with HDR10 on the Q90R is it has this weird "gamma darkening" effect where supposedly bright parts are darkened because the areas around the bright part are dark. This effect is not present on the CX; bright parts are bright, and dark parts are dark. The Q90R only gets it right probably 70% of the time, while the CX and Dolby Vision get it right. Every. Time.

The meta data is what allows Dolby Vision HDR to punch so hard. HDR10 can't compete. If what you said was true, the Q90R and it's amazing 1500+ nits peak brightness would crush the CX. But it doesn't. Not even close.
Ignore him. He hates anything OLED and believe a TV needs brightness that will melt your eye to be considered a good TV.

Any thoughts on this TV? -- https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/6-series-r635-2020-qled

My initial budget was $800 but I ran into anoither 2-300 bucks to throw ontop..
I have the 75inch version of this TV and I still absolutely love it. It is worth a note that the biggest difference (other than size) with the 75inch version is that it has considerably more local dimming areas.

Also there have been firmware updates that fixed some issues since that review was made.

Back