Suggestions - 2.1 Systems under $200

I would say this depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. There are a lot of great monitors you can use. However, adding the subwoofer is where the $ goes up. Personally, I use the logitech z623. FOr the money of ~120. The sound is quite good. It is not at all audiophile quality. But I think you would be hard pressed to beat the cost v performance and easy setup for a home computer.

I would say this depends on what kind of sound you are looking for. There are a lot of great monitors you can use. However, adding the subwoofer is where the $ goes up. Personally, I use the logitech z623. FOr the money of ~120. The sound is quite good. It is not at all audiophile quality. But I think you would be hard pressed to beat the cost v performance and easy setup for a home computer.

Yep, I got a pair of M-Audio BX5's on sale for $150 for the pair, but the M-Audio 10" Sub was $400, and in all honestly that size sub is way overkill for my needs, I have it turned barely up from all the way down since it is so powerful.

I would normally say Klipsch 2.1's, but 1st gen models are getting real hard to find online. Could go with a latter gen version.

Power switch on the back of the amp, yes.

I keep debating whether to junk-can my 5.1 Ultra amp since it died for the third time, after getting fully modded and cooled.

Why specifically 2.1? I mention this because most "2.1" systems you purchase sold as "computer speakers" are generally quite low quality, made of plastic, etc..

However there is subset of speakers that sound significantly better even while lacking a dedicated subwoofer called powered or desktop monitors.

Once I ditched my old Klipsch 2.1 system (and plastic computer speakers in general) years ago and moved into desktop monitors I was amazed what I was missing, even for $200.

Here is a listing to get you started organized in the $100 to $200 range: https://www.sweetwater.com/c405--Active_Monitors?params=eyJmYWNldCI6eyJQcmljZSBSYW5nZSI6WyI0Il19fQ

Keep in mind in the studio monitor world, its somewhat common to sell speakers individually so some are listings for only 1 speaker.

Always check Amazon too, they carry a line from Edifier that are quite popular and a lot of their models even have remotes. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=edifier+...OJQOT&sprefix=edif,aps,137&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_4

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would agree with the above. Most PC speaker satellites are not very well made, but they're ok for the money. I moved to DIY bookshelf speakers and now I can't stand PC satellites. I imagine monitors would get one close enough to really good audio quality. Then add a proper home theater sub if space or budget allows.

It really depends on how much desk space you have. If you are limited then you are kind of forced to go with the best satellite speakers in the market. I do agree if you have space then desktop monitors would always sound better.

It really depends on how much desk space you have. If you are limited then you are kind of forced to go with the best satellite speakers in the market. I do agree if you have space then desktop monitors would always sound better.
Seconded.

For my gaming desktop, I have a pair of 5" JBL studio monitors. They are large. For my cleaner-looking living room PC, I have a pair of Kanto YU2 desktop speakers; 3" drivers with a minuscule profile in comparison. For desktop audio they sound great, and for as close as they are, they get louder than I'll ever need. Of course, they flank a single monitor, while the larger studio monitors in another room have their own stands off to the sides.

My Alesis desktop monitors are over 16 years old now. I love these speakers.
IMG_2704.JPG

My desk in my room 15 years ago
desk4-05.jpg

Lol wow Zepher are those two CRT monitors running in dual screen? Nice setup btw.

Lol wow Zepher are those two CRT monitors running in dual screen? Nice setup btw.
Ya, I was running dual CRT's back in 1999/2000.
desk.jpg
And then 3 LCD's
desk black.jpg

And now just the 34" Ultrawides on both machines,
IMG_5869.JPG

Definitely come a long way! Is that a curved 34"? Do you think monitors are a good use of curved displays?
That one is a flat LG, my other one is the Dell curved 34"
The curve is kinda subtle but you do notice it when going from the curved to the flat as the flat one looks odd, almost like it is curving away from you.

Another vote for Promedia. I got my first set in 2000? after my Logitech cube speakers died. They where fantastic, great styling that didn't get old even after nearly 20 years of service. The amp finally died, so they've been replaced with a set of Z906 - great audio there too - but if you're looking for a 2.1 set, the Promedias sure get my vote.

Love my Promedia's, actually just come across another set and am going to run a 2.1 (X 2).

You can get them on FB Marketplace pretty often. My neighbor just sold a set on the marketplace for $50.00, seemed about the average around here.

I got my Promedia set on eBay for $75 used. To me its money well spent that's sub $100.

Back