Suggestion needed.

grtitan

Telemetry is Spying on ME!
I just got a Dell Precision T3600 with a 6 cores xeon E5 CPU, based on sandy bridge E and 32 gb of ram.

My current gaming pc is an ivy bridge i5-3570k.

I'm wondering, would i see a decrease or increase in performance for games if i switch to the dell?

I would use it mostly for gaming, but also for VM's and training.

Is worth switching over?

Probably not.

Not sure which E5 you have in there, but in the 6-core varieties you are, at best, roughly equal to clock speeds you have in your i5 and a roughly equal gaming experience, and at worst, significantly lower clocks and a worse experience. Overclocking changes that somewhat, but I don't know what levels anything is OCing to. In practice, most Sandy rigs were able to overclock better than Ivy rigs, but Ivy had a slight IPC architectural advantage, meaning you didn't really gain much going from one to the other (a story which Intel has repeated about 7 times over now).

Yes, you'd have 2 more cores and hyperthreading, and better memory access - that doesn't matter a whole hell of a lot in gaming though in the general case. Gaming is still more about GPU and then IPC/clock speed than anything.

If you have some specific games that can leverage the higher core counts effectively, maybe. But by and large, most games don't.

Not sure which E5 you have in there
looks like is a E5-1620 or 1650.

Overclocking changes that somewhat, but I don't know what levels anything is OCing to.
pretty sure that dell didnt include such option on their bios.

Gaming is still more about GPU
I'm planning in just transferring my 970 to it.

If you have some specific games that can leverage the higher core counts effectively
Nothing serious, just the arkham games right now.

The part i really like is that the computer comes with 32 gb of ram, which is very expensive these days.

Back