Suggestion for some quiet LGA 1356 Xeon Fan/Heat Sink

I have a dual LGA2011 board with the sockets quite close together, and wanted relatively quiet cooling. I ended up just using water: Corsair H55 did nicely for my E5-2660's

Also, LGA1366 heatsinks allegedly fit, but I would expect that you need the type that were compatible with the Xeon LGA1366 socket (it had a backplate built in to the socket, the i7 version did not). I have heard that 1366 is the same mounting pattern as 1356.

Passive Heat-Sink with Ducted Airflow

The key to this is Ducted Airflow.

It requires fan(s) at the other end of the duct.. These are for small server cases that have a lot of internal airflow and are usually not that quiet at all..

Just looking at pics of the LGA 1356/1366 cooler here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-SNK-P0035AP4-Heatsink-Fan-for-Intel-Xeon-Socket-LGA1366-LGA1356-/200882894177?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item2ec58db561

It looks like anything that is compatible with 1366/1156/1155 should work as long as it has the type of bracket where the lugs slide or can be adjusted on the bracket.

No having to worry about the mounting being a rectangle instead of a square. As long as it is adjustable, it should work.

Something like a Corsair H(i) series water cooler should work, not sure about the non-i series mounting though - anybody that actually has one should be able to answer that.

Any Noctua 1366/1156/1155 compatible cooler should work (NH-D14 for example).

It is also not that hard to mod/make a special bracket in order to mount a cooler. I have done it quite a few times in a pinch. I actually modded my ancient Thermaltake Big Typhoon to work on LGA 1366.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Man I remember my Big Typhoon. That thing was amazing when I was overclocking my socket 939 rig.

Back on topic, I agree that just about any 1366 cooler designed for a back-plate *should* work, though I'm not sure if a 1366 back-plate and 1356 top plate use the same threads.

If you must go with a 1356 cooler I'd take a look at workstation heatsinks from dell T5500s. I've been playing with a 2P HP Z600 lately, and I can tell you that the HP heatsinks are pretty impressive in terms of noise, though I haven't found any for a reasonable price on ebay. The Dell heatsinks are significantly cheaper (~$20 instead of $50 and up.)

If you must go with a 1356 cooler I'd take a look at workstation heatsinks from dell T5500s. I've been playing with a 2P HP Z600 lately, and I can tell you that the HP heatsinks are pretty impressive in terms of noise, though I haven't found any for a reasonable price on ebay. The Dell heatsinks are significantly cheaper (~$20 instead of $50 and up.)

So happen I am selling 2 x HP cooler. LGA 2011. They are brand new, HP Part no. 647288-001, I'm selling them for the same price as those "used / refurbish " cooler at ebay

Just looking at pics of the LGA 1356/1366 cooler here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Supermicro-SNK-P0035AP4-Heatsink-Fan-for-Intel-Xeon-Socket-LGA1366-LGA1356-/200882894177?pt=US_CPU_Fans_Heatsinks&hash=item2ec58db561

It looks like anything that is compatible with 1366/1156/1155 should work as long as it has the type of bracket where the lugs slide or can be adjusted on the bracket.

Any Noctua 1366/1156/1155 compatible cooler should work (NH-D14 for example).

It is also not that hard to mod/make a special bracket in order to mount a cooler. I have done it quite a few times in a pinch. I actually modded my ancient Thermaltake Big Typhoon to work on LGA 1366.

Since I'm the 1 paying $, I expect those manufacturer to get it right, that I don't have to drill any holes.

What I don't understand is, Noctua has their cooler clearly stating their 1s works w/ LGA 1356, and yet Zalman, thermaltake, plus a few others do not have the word "LGA 1356" on their product page.

Noctua was my 1st choice, but this 2 cooler is for some1 else, so in the end, I pick a Intel $18 cooler that Intel guarantee will work on LGA 1356

http://www.impactsystems.com.au/Int...s-CPU-Socket-1356-1366-PASSIVE-ACTIVE-COMBO-h

Intel Thermal Solution for Xeon 5600/E5-2400 Series CPU, Socket 1356/1366, PASSIVE/ACTIVE COMBO h

Item Code
Group Name
CPU
Stock on Hand
Call
Mfr Catalog No.
BXSTS100C

and this is the photo for this intel heatsink/fan

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicat...ffiliateID=TnL5HPStwNw-D2yX45FNJMzYzujq4OzIkQ

you guys think it'll work?

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The key to this is Ducted Airflow.

It requires fan(s) at the other end of the duct.. These are for small server cases that have a lot of internal airflow and are usually not that quiet at all..

you mean the ATX air, or the CPU fan air? as I so happen to find a intel heatsink/fan cooler for Xeon. They are not loud, but you can hear the sound

Back