Suggest me an AMD setup on cheap for NAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hyt3k9

2[H]4U
I have a server rack on my wall, 4ft, 19" standard sizing. 3-4U? Thoughts?
AMD for sure (cost) - motherboard needs to have Intel NIC, M-ITX even if cheaper
Planning on using FreeNAS OS for archive 2x 10TB Seagate Heliums + How would I run Plex or Emby on the same system using this OS?
1G LAN available, anything higher not needed at this time
I need 2nd drop-in NIC (SFF if M-ITX suggested as mobo) preferably Intel, 2 LAN connections total so I can bond them for throughput
I don't "think" this setup would require a graphics card, would it? The only reason I'm not sure is I plan to watch videos FROM this device with Plex or Emby (Does the transcoding of video happen server or client side?)

NEED-------
Case
CPU
Motherboard
2nd LAN card, Prefer fast PCI-E option [INTEL]

HAVE--------
Power supply, Corsair AX850 (from a previous build)
All storage needed
RAM, I own a set of 16GB (2x8GB) G.Skill Trident Z, DDR4, 3200 [F4-3200C16D-16GTZB] just sitting around - Motherboard would need to be compatible with this

NAS Use------
Store Movies, Music, Files, My content [Audio, Recorded Gameplay Vids]

Actually, now that I think about it - Wouldn't it make more sense to just run Windows on it and hit it headless?
About the RAID, I guess I also need a cheap Marvell RAID card as well. Something that's hardware-based for RAID 1

Actually, now that I think about it - Wouldn't it make more sense to just run Windows on it and hit it headless?
About the RAID, I guess I also need a cheap Marvell RAID card as well. Something that's hardware-based for RAID 1

I wouldn't do that. I'd get a LSI SAS2008 based card for cheap (IBM M1015, LSI 9211-8i, etc.).

I'd probably look at a mATX board instead as you have a couple PCIe slots for your RAID card and an additional ethernet card as required. You can get 3u in mATX.

When I had a stand alone Plex/file server, I just ran it on Windows. I ended up just migrating the data to a Synology 1019+ and it handles Plex and file server duties better than I thought it would.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd actually go cheap Intel for this, so you have access to Quicksync. Also, for just two drives, no need for an HBA. Just get a cheap M.2 SSD for the OS so that ZFS (on FreeNAS) can have the drives to itself.

Plex runs on FreeNAS natively.

I will take the advice here, sorry I have been away for work training out of state. Thanks for everyone's input.

Yeah, def wanna build on the cheap. Just hosting up video (Movies/TV series + Music and a few hundred docs)

I'd actually go cheap Intel for this, so you have access to Quicksync. Also, for just two drives, no need for an HBA. Just get a cheap M.2 SSD for the OS so that ZFS (on FreeNAS) can have the drives to itself.

Plex runs on FreeNAS natively.
I would definitely recommend an intel chip for quicksync if you are using plex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back