Suggest a linear-ish FPS/3rd-person game with campaign?

zamardii12

2[H]4U
So I finished Doom Eternal recently and loved it. I started playing Rage 2 and while the shooting feels great I don't have it in me to play a open-world game, and just feel like a lot of companies are making "open-world" games to artificially pad a game with extra "play time." I am playing Gears 5 currently and feel kind of "meh" about it since it just feels like every other Gears of War game.

Anyway, I wanted to get some suggestions for any fairly-recent (last 8 years or so) FPS games that you particularly liked... maybe even lesser-known games or something.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (single player campaign)
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Titanfall 2 (single player campaign)

All of the above can prob be found for less than 5 bucks each.

The new campaign in Modern Warfare (2019) was also quite good.

Half-Life: Alyx if you have a VR headset.

If you want more of a retro FPS there is also Amid Evil.

Prodeus is made by the guy who created Brutal Doom and is making good progress, but it's still in early access.

Dread Templar is a newer EA release that is showing promise and is inspired by Quake.

Quantum break (3rd person)
Metro Exodus (has some openworld-ish parts)
Borderlands 3
and the already mentioned wolfensteins
If you haven't already there is also the DOOM 2016 game
If you don't mind the old school look, Ion fury is supposedly pretty good too but I did not play it.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (single player campaign)
Wolfenstein: The New Order
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Titanfall 2 (single player campaign)

All of the above can prob be found for less than 5 bucks each.
x2 for the Wolfenstein series and Titanfall 2.

Titanfall 2's single player is better than it has any business being - fun ride.
Wolfenstein, albeit 1st person, is a super solid FPS.

It's procedural, and non-linear, but Void Bastards is a great single-player FPS (it's free now on Epic).

3rd person shooters
The Division 1 (better than 2 IMHO)
The Division 2
Ghost Recon Breakpoint (a lot better now than at release)
Control Ultimate Edition

FPS
Borderlands 3
Dying Light Enhanced
Prey (newer one)
Dishonored 1 & 2

I'll probably think of more later at home.

Get a playstation then get the Uncharted series, The Last of Us 1 & 2, and God of War on PS4
All the recent PC titles I would have suggested have been suggested. Dying Light would be my #1 suggestion. Yes it's open world, but it doesn't have to be played that way.

3rd person shooters
The Division 1 (better than 2 IMHO)
The Division 2
Ghost Recon Breakpoint (a lot better now than at release)
Control Ultimate Edition

FPS
Borderlands 3
Dying Light Enhanced
Prey (newer one)
Dishonored 1 & 2

I'll probably think of more later at home.
The Division, Ghost Recon, Borderlands, and Dying Light are not linear.

Homefront and Homefront revolution
Brink
Far Cry Blood Dragon
Halo the Master Chief Collection

Theres a couple fun games that arent FPS like Castle Crashers and For the King that you might find fun too

Horizon Zero Dawn was great but it's more open world.

The thing is - I was trying to take my time and do more of the side quests - the main quest is actually fairly short (if you level up) and quite fascinating in terms of the story line (AI/self replicating tech/etc).

I decided to push on the main story so I could get a cool set of armor and ended up finishing more or less by accident - once you do that, you can still do the other stories and the expansion, but I lost interest...

Back