Suggest a good 3rd Person Shooter

kilgore777

Gawd
Hey all....

Pretty much, what the title says. I was going to get Gears of War, but it is really hard to find (brand new) at decent price (less than $40).

What other titles are good ones? I am looking for something with lots of action.

Thanks!

Lost Planet comes to mind. That's pretty action packed and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Planetside online and of coarse Counterstrie source come to mind. I just wish they would rebuild both games from the ground up.

Dark Sector was a pretty cool game.

It's a third person shooter, but you also get this awesome throwable glaive thing in the beginning of the game. You can control where it moves as well. It was so fun (for me at least) steering my glaive to decapitate enemies.

I think it isn't expensive either... when i bought it, it was 40$. It's probably much cheaper now.

Oh yeah.. explosion physics was hilarious. Bodies flying at 500mph into the sky due to explosions under feet...

I got Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway for $8 on Newegg a few weeks back.

It's played in 1st person but when you "take cover" it goes 3rd person mode and is similar to GoW when in cover. I'm personally enjoying it and it is especially fun since you simultaneously command the other teams in your squad.

It can be off-putting because it's just another WW2 FPS but it has a pretty deep story and the command/cover aspects I mentioned before.

If you want something totally different I'd say go with Deadspace.

Dead Space
Max Payne
GTA (any of em, really)
Mass Effect
Stranglehold (Though some people would disagree, I enjoyed this game)
Assassins Creed
Any of the Splinter Cells

Max Payne. Not only does the gunplay kick ass , the story and the way its told is compelling too. :)

Not trying to dispute anyone here, but alot of folks are mentioning Dead Space. IMHO it is a beautiful game and supposedly a nice story. However, the controls are not for everyone. I assume since we are in a PC forum, you intend to use it on a PC (duh, I know). I could not for the life of me get used to them and now I have an unfinished game, I tried many times to play but could not get past them. Just wanted to put that out there. I can heartily vouch for Mass Effect.

Everyone,

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I was considering some of these games, but I wanted to see what you folks thought.

For the OP who suggested Max Payne... I loved the first one - I will have to check out #2. I hope it is as twisted as the original....

About the other suggestions:

ME - I am sure this is a really good game, but not so sure I like the RPG elements - particularly how it affects.... killin' stuff (aim, damage, etc.). I know people love this one - just not so sure it is for me.

DS - I was already thinking about this one.... are the controls really that wonky? :confused: Any fixes? Looks cool - my friend has it for PS3 and loves it.

SC - too stealthy for me. I just want to blast shit! I know this is a good series though....

Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway - didn't know about the 3rd person aspect of this one. I was looking at this anyway.... like WW2 games.

Games that look promising.... I'll have to look into these:
Dark Sector
Planetside online
Stranglehold
Assassins Creed

Thanks again to anyone who responded! ;)

DS - I was already thinking about this one.... are the controls really that wonky? :confused: Any fixes? Looks cool - my friend has it for PS3 and loves it.

The controls are fine. You can use GlovePie to remap your keyboard if you don't like the set-up (there is a Dead Space thread on here somewhere with the details)

I seem to recall Vsync is broken in game. Forcing it through the CP works, otherwise there is appreciable lag.

For the OP who suggested Max Payne... I loved the first one - I will have to check out #2. I hope it is as twisted as the original....

MP 2 is superior to the first game. Definitely work checking out (even 6 years late :) )

I would definitely recommend Mass Effect. Even though the OP stated he wasn't very fond of RPGs, neither am I yet I found ME to be one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played. My crazed love for anything Sci-Fi probably helped though. Assassins Creed was also good. I am not sure how it played on the PC as I only played it on the Xbox 360. It got a bit repetitive but was still fun.

GTA San Andreas or GTA 4. Well, any GTA game. The driving physics alone make it worth it, plus you get to shoot people in the face. :p

Most fun 3rd person shooter games I've played are max payne 1-2, fantasitc games.

Infernal, I haven't beat it yet but seems good, got if for about $5 when it was on sale at go gamer. I've seen it hit this price twice there.

Infernal, I haven't beat it yet but seems good, got if for about $5 when it was on sale at go gamer. I've seen it hit this price twice there.

oh wait wrong game. What was the game where you controlled Goblins and they got pumpkins stuck on there heads? That game is awesome.

Hitman games are the shit and I highly recommend all of them.

Gears of War ran like shit on my PC and on a lot of other peoples.

Back