Suggest a cheap laptop

MrCrispy

2[H]4U
Cheap = <$400

I don't want a Chromebook. What I'd like -

- hdd replaceable with ssd
- decent screen resolution (i.e. not 1366x768. Since no one makes 1600x900 anymore, I guess that means FHD)
- screen size 13/14/15"
- 8GB or more RAM
- cpu: Core i5 or more, I don't mind AMD either
- battery life > 5hrs

I don't care if its new/outlet/refurb. And would be nice to have a backlit keyboard and 802.11AC.

Just looking for a decent machine on which I can get some work done, and I plan to run Windows 10 (Tech preview) on it. I don't want to spend much money, since I plan to upgrade to Skylake when it comes out.

Per usual, I'd recommend Lenovo Outlet (if you are not scared off by recent news). Did a quick search and found several options in the $500 range. I know that is a little above your price point, but I am betting if you aren't in a hurry, you can find something cheaper if you are patient. However, upping the budget to a little over $500.00 will net you nice options like the Thinkpad T440.

Yeah, I think you're stretching your wish list with the $400 maximum. You can find things that low once in a blue moon, but not in regular stock (you'll have to hunt around deal sites or outlet stock, and do your own research).

You can probably get half of that spec sheet new for that price, but no more. The i5, 8GB and the > 768p screen are really hard to do.

Do you REALLY need the excessive processing power of a Core i5, or more than 4GB ram? A modern 2 GHz Core i3 U is plenty for web and business apps, and should be a lot easier for you to find at that price, and I can't remember the last time I used more than 4GB ram on a web/office machine. Upgradable storage is a lot easier, and if you don't buy an ultrabook, the ram is probably upgradable as well.

I understand how you feel about the 768p screen, but you're not getting a higher resolution for peanuts. Like discrete GPUs, they like to upsell on the screen quality.

Last edited:
Per usual, I'd recommend Lenovo Outlet (if you are not scared off by recent news). Did a quick search and found several options in the $500 range. I know that is a little above your price point, but I am betting if you aren't in a hurry, you can find something cheaper if you are patient. However, upping the budget to a little over $500.00 will net you nice options like the Thinkpad T440.

Sweet. Thanks! $567.07 after taxes on the T440. Shipping was free.

Last edited:
Hit Newegg too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...20&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=30

Then comparison shop the prices against Amazon or others.

Hell, save for resolution, this Lenovo X220 already comes with an pretty much everything you want. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA5WM2F97707

Does anyone have experience with purchasing the refurbs from Newegg? From reading the reviews it seems to work out well, or not at all.

Definitely would help hit the >$400 price point.

Back