Suffer from online gaming lag? Post your OPScore's here!

magnetik

Staff member
What is OPScore?

OPScore, or Online Playability Score, is a benchmark that measures game lag under
network stress. OPScore can be used to tune networks for optimal gaming performance.

How can I use the benchmark?

Quality of Service, or QoS, is a set of technologies that are necessary to ensure
that online games have maximum responsiveness. When the network is used for other
applications besides gaming, the network can become congested, causing lag. OPScore
should be used to tune your network and system for online gaming. Numerical values of
OPScore correlate directly with the quality of the gaming experience online. The OPScore
test runs in only a few seconds, so the effects of tweaking QoS and network settings can
be seen immediately.

What does OPScore measure?

OPScore, or Online Playability Score, is a benchmark that measures game lag
under network stress. There are two stages to the OPScore test. The first, Internet
Connection OPScore, measures game lag without any background data transfers to load
the network. This tests the quality of the Internet connection itself. The second stage,
Quality of Service (QoS) OPScore, measures the ability of the network to prevent game
lag even when there is other traffic present on the network. Background data transfers are
used to load the network during the QoS OPScore stage of the test.

http://gamer.ubicom.com/benchmarks/benchmarks.html

Comcast cable is my provider but I am just curious to see what others are getting on
various network providers and various types of routers. My "Loaded Network" score was
rather low.. but after I turned on Gamefuel (QoS) on my DLink DGL-4300, it pushed
my "Loaded Network" score from .7/5.0 to 4.4/5.0! I noticed that I can now game while
downloading or transferring files in the background now that I enabled QoS. This test can
help you tweak your connection if you are experiencing lag caused by network stress.
This can be a real issue if you share your network with others.

Please post your provider and your router model also.

(I requested permission to post this in the gaming forum because I felt it was
more appropriate since lag is a big issue with online gaming and since most games are
online nowadays the thread would be more useful in the gaming forum)

opscore.jpg

legend.jpg

Provider is Qwest and I have no idea what my router model # is but it is a Linksys brand.

I am thinking my QoS is low because this house has crappy lines and Qwest is flumexing with the wires outside since the city is putting in a new road.

I got .2/5, which is odd, because I never have lag in online games.

comcast cable (I also live in Chicago :)) - linksys router - microsoft base station
untitled5ri1.jpg

Naldo said:
I got .2/5, which is odd, because I never have lag in online games.

that's on a loaded network. have you ever downloaded or shared the connection with other computers while gaming online? I couldn't figure out why I was lagging so bad.. then I found out I had a p2p app loaded on one of the computers on my network that was killing my connection. I enabled QoS and the lag pretty much disappeared.

I guess this test shows how well QoS works on routers that support it.

I have wireless router (netgear wgt624) that sends a wireless signal to a wireless game adapter (linksys WGA54g) that then goes to wired router (MS mn100) then goes to comp.
i have comcast 6mb internet.

untitled.JPG

holy smokes that's huge! I put it on my server for you.. replace it with this..

ops.jpg

munkle said:
lol sorry all i got is MS paint

haha that's what I used.. I just cut out the scores. I put your pic on my server though.. edit your post and just use the link to your pic I posted above.

I got mspaint skillz...notice the size and quality of the pic :D

Comcast's highest consumer netconnection package.
Linksys BEFSR41 (from 2000)
streamengine.score.PNG

I just mspainted it from my laptop, didnt see anything there to help me tweak my network. Although I am more interested in reading about qos.

opscore.jpg

HAHA, I win!!!
OPScore.jpg

Yeah, that's 0.0 for the QoS test. Mediacom with an WRT54G router. Enabling QoS on the Router had no affect whatsoever. Putting port 3010 as a "Low" priority port had no affect either. In fact, with QoS enabled on the router, my loaded ping went up to 570ms. Yay for Linksys' useless QoS. I really need to put on a different firmware one of these days.

Thermite Paste said:

why's my quality so low? I have optimum online through a d-link wireless router

The first, Internet Connection OPScore, measures game lag without any
background data transfers to load the network. This tests the quality of the Internet
connection itself. The second stage, Quality of Service (QoS) OPScore, measures the
ability of the network to prevent game lag even when there is other traffic present on the
network.

JBark said:
HAHA, I win!!!
Yeah, that's 0.0 for the QoS test. Mediacom with an WRT54G router. Enabling QoS on the Router had no affect whatsoever. Putting port 3010 as a "Low" priority port had no affect either. In fact, with QoS enabled on the router, my loaded ping went up to 570ms. Yay for Linksys' useless QoS. I really need to put on a different firmware one of these days.

are you running a firewall on your pc?

magnetik said:
are you running a firewall on your pc?

Nope, and just to show how bad the default linksys QoS is, here's the results I get using the DD-WRT firmware with the same max upload value.
OPScore_DD-WRT.jpg

Edit:
If I got and configure the ports, my QoS score jumps up to 4.8. I tried this with the default linksys firmware, and it did nothing. Hell, I just jumped on 5 torrents, turned of my upload limit, and still scored 4.6/4.6. I guess this test was good for something, since it finally gave me a reason to go back to DD-WRT. Sure is a lot better than it was the first time I used it.

comcast massachusetts....zoom cable modem with abelkin router set up as a switch....

for some reason my router refuses to aquire an IP address....i can only use it as a switch to allow the PCs to get their own IP...

Back