Suddenly Street Fighter X Tekken looks awesome to me

I've been looking forward to this game but I'm dissapointed that the PS3 version gets 5 exclusive characters and the 360 gets none.

I've been looking forward to this game but I'm dissapointed that the PS3 version gets 5 exclusive characters and the 360 gets none.

Apparently Capcom plans to offer them later since they all appear to be on the disc already.

Apparently Capcom plans to offer them later since they all appear to be on the disc already.

Thats cool but I would be pretty surprised if Cole and those cats made it onto the 360 version (even if they are on the disc). But I could see Pac-man and Mega man happening, hopefully as a free update that comes out shortly, though I would be suprised if it was free.

Last edited:
ill pick it up then go toe to toe with you once again my friend. TIGER

Sounds good :)
I'm thinking of going with Zangief/King, but after seeing some King stuff I think I'm going to be in the same boat as you with Sagat in SF4. It looks like King might be the single best character in the whole game and everyone's going to hate me for choosing him.

Agreed. This is why people are starting to hate the idea of DLC...because it isn't really DLC. It's just a way to charge more for or restrict an existing game all too often.

Yup, Capcom's been the torch-bearer for BS DLC for quite awhile now. Day-0 DLC that's already on the disc is pretty much as bad as it gets, and Capcom's been the worst offender, IMO.

Looks like the old Capcom is starting to rear their old face again, anybody remember all those street fight 2 versions? I think Capcom was always the worst at squeezing money when ever possible.

Whenever they can, they'll try to take your money -- Capcom style. That means from iterations or now a form of DLC.

Bastards.

Crapcom has stated that content that comes with any future iterations of this game will be available as DLC for owners of the standard game (unlike SSF4 and UMvC3), but I don't trust that. I'm not buying this game until the superturbohyperlimitedarcadecollectorsultimate edition is $20.

The 12 extra characters in the Vita version are the ones "hiding" on the normal game disk.
From what I've read, the character art, moves, and animations are all done for the new characters, BUT the mechanics for them are all still up in the air.
Apparently they had a crazy time getting charge characters to be effective in the new system, hence why Blanka isn't in the normal game. They're testing those characters internally and the actual character mechanics will be downloaded when they unlock the characters. Blanka might end up having no-charge moves when it's all said and done.
It's still unbelievably lame, but not quite as bad as if those characters were completely intact on the disk.
They'll probably release another version of the game with all of the DLC unlocked before it's all said and done (likely when the Vita game hits), but current owners will not have to buy another disk or game.

I put in some time with this last night. While it looks like SF4 – it definitely doesn’t play like it. It’s kind of like how Marvel vs. Capcom looks a lot like the SF Alpha games, but plays nothing like ‘em.

Lots of emphasis on chain combos this time around. Reminds me a little of Alpha 1 in that regard. Any time someone lands a jab, you’d better be ready to take some damage and go for a ride. Supers are back to being pretty common (and easy to do), but they aren’t as damaging as you might expect.

The Tekken characters have held true to that game (crouching against them = unwise) but I get the feeling that Capcom slanted the game to favor their own characters overall.
The Tekken characters have a bit of a learning curve to them, so maybe I’m wrong though.

The whole DLC fiasco is getting out of hand. Now capcom is saying "The characters on disk are imcomplete!" Next day, hackers post vids of the characters in action. Nothing incomplete as far as I can see..Go to srk for the videos. Lying cocksuckers. Fuck em.

Played for 30 mins so far. I keep on trying to do focus attacks and cancels lol.

Played for 30 mins so far. I keep on trying to do focus attacks and cancels lol.

Ditto...and I was guilty of not using them enough in SF4, too.
I also find myself trying to do the more traditional super move motions, too.
It's kind of odd to get used to, but it's not too bad. The chains are a little overkill.
It's a little bit back to Alpha 1 where someone lands a jab and the next thing you know that jab = a 10-hit combo or worse.

It's kind of odd to get used to, but it's not too bad. The chains are a little overkill.
It's a little bit back to Alpha 1 where someone lands a jab and the next thing you know that jab = a 10-hit combo or worse.

Must be the Tekken part of the game :) .

Must be the Tekken part of the game :) .

Yup, it's clearly influenced by the more combo-happy Tekken 6 than some of the older ones.
It's pretty interesting how different the Tekken characters play compared to their SF counterparts. They're authentically very string-heavy, have lots of top-down attacks, and they're usually jumping less, too. Just like "real" Tekken, you pretty much have to concede low attacks to stay safe from the much more dangerous high and mid attacks.
Overall I think they turned out pretty well, although I do wish the chain combos were toned down a little. At the very least, I wish the SF cast didn't have them and the Tekken cast did. To me it's a little ridiculous doing a 9-hit chain combo + tag juggle with Zangief.

So I guess thats it for character unlocking? Everything has to be purchased now ? :(

Every time you beat the story mode purchase a random character pack.

It is ridiculous. The mona lisa jpg is so very true. If / when I release my game, nickel and dime dlc won't ever happen. Expansions are one thing, but adding an item, armor, weapon, character, or something similar should be a free update. I guess I'm just "old school".

Every time you beat the story mode purchase a random character pack.

It is ridiculous. The mona lisa jpg is so very true. If / when I release my game, nickel and dime dlc won't ever happen. Expansions are one thing, but adding an item, armor, weapon, character, or something similar should be a free update. I guess I'm just "old school".

Soul calibre still has unlockable stuff I hope. If not man I am so out of this genre. So glad I didn't buy MK until the Komplete edition, but I had Soul Calibre on my mind this weekend.

Sony released their 2 exclusive (free) characters yesterday, old school box art Mega Man and Pac-Man.
Mega Man pretty much equates to Dan and doesn't really have much of anything to work with. Unless he has some kind of super hidden moves or exploit, he's a throw away poor man's Ryu.
Pac-Man's a little more interesting. While he has a bunch of moves that leave him wide open, he does big damage. He's kind of fun to play, too. Not sure if he's any good, but at least he's different.

Welcome to gaming circa 2012. You'll have legions of gamers defending this shit too...

Eh? Pay to play has been around on the PC platform since before 2011. As has paying for upgrades and in game stuff. This is old hat on the PC platform, though it's fairly new to consoles. I'm not sure how much I buy their "but it costs money to make this stuff" but they should have kept it on the PC.

As for Capcom, really this is no worse than what they've always done. Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Championship EDITION, Street Fighter 2 hyper fighting. Then add some new people and moves and Super Street Fighter 2, a few more tweaks and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Fairly hilarious. And then there was the Alpha series. Of which there were two versions of alpha 2 with one only having a gameplay balance tweak and god knows how many versions of alpha 3. I recall the two Alpha 3s that didn't play the same due to tweaks. Then Alpha 3 upper, and more, probably about six versions of the same game.

Does it suck, yeah... but nickle and diming people has been going on the PC long before it hit consoles. And Capcom are known for being dicks and making you buy the same thing multiple times. So this is really nothing new.

I'm digging Kazuya, buffering wave dashes for ultra fast movement! Without meter any combo into slaughter fist, cr HP, dragon punch thing, medium kick. Or with meter add an ex slaughter fist into another CR HP after the first. With more meter finish it off with the super.

I'm digging Kazuya, buffering wave dashes for ultra fast movement! Without meter any combo into slaughter fist, cr HP, dragon punch thing, medium kick. Or with meter add an ex slaughter fist into another CR HP after the first. With more meter finish it off with the super.

Yeah, he does an insane amount of damage in a hurry. In general the Tekken people seem to be more capable of taking you for a ride with big damage juggles, while the SF characters have better fundamentals-style attacks. The addition of so many top-down attacks especially makes things wonky in the short term while people learn them. Heihachi and Hwoarang both have 40-50% damage no-tag/1-bar combos that involve a high/low switch-up. Unless you flat out know the block pattern, you're going to take big damage if your opponent knows 'em.
To me one of the wonkiest things about the game is the blockstun. Lots of safe lock downs and weird windows where you can't tag/super or really do much of anything except alpha counter.
Fun game, but I'm not sure there will be a serious competitive scene for it without a pretty massive patch.
Either that or it could be like Tekken 3 where 75% of the characters are broken, so a weird balance comes about.

Yeah, he does an insane amount of damage in a hurry. In general the Tekken people seem to be more capable of taking you for a ride with big damage juggles, while the SF characters have better fundamentals-style attacks. The addition of so many top-down attacks especially makes things wonky in the short term while people learn them. Heihachi and Hwoarang both have 40-50% damage no-tag/1-bar combos that involve a high/low switch-up. Unless you flat out know the block pattern, you're going to take big damage if your opponent knows 'em.
To me one of the wonkiest things about the game is the blockstun. Lots of safe lock downs and weird windows where you can't tag/super or really do much of anything except alpha counter.
Fun game, but I'm not sure there will be a serious competitive scene for it without a pretty massive patch.
Either that or it could be like Tekken 3 where 75% of the characters are broken, so a weird balance comes about.

He's also got an infinite in the corner. You can re-stand someone after the slaughter fist xx juggle. :)

So one combo in corner = I get an infinite
no meter = about 1/4rd of your life in a combo
1 bar = over 1/3rd of your life gone
3 bars = 75% of your life

I've got a few frame traps with Jin where you either alpha counter your way out or.... eat 40%. I've perfected more than a few people with Kazuya at our weekly the other night.

The SF characters do have some big damagers in them as well. It's just harder. You need one frame links and the like to do it. The tekken characters chains make some of the stuff easier.

I'm sticking to Zangief/Hugo and both of them seem to be pretty quality. Hugo's clap patterns and LK/MK are pretty brutal fundamentals-style techniques. Plus, his ability to absorb shots with his lariat flat-out slaughters some characters. Zangief can start up his chain sequence from a mile off with standing LK. Any time he lands a jab he can follow with 3 more and then LK, MK, HK, and then a partner juggle.
Damage scaling is kind of amusing. I've been hit with multiple 20+ hit multi-tag combos that were virtually doing no damage by the end of things. Kazuya, Law, or Hwoarang do more damage in 4-6 hits than 20+. A lot of the time I actually get happy to see someone doing those massive multi-tag sequences when their normal 'ol team super would have been wiser.

Honestly, tag combos are pretty damn stupid. Short of it being a safe option to tag you partner in so they don't get brutalized, steer clear.

Most characters have a pretty good flow for combos anyways. Anything with Kazuya always goes into slaughter fist, crouching HP xxx special. Or with meter anything into slaughter fist, crouching HP, EX slaughter fist, crouching HP xxx whatever. And then love tap them after with a standing MK.

Trying to add more hits into it, yeah, lowers the damage.

Unless you do this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8aJgB2IJHM

Eh? Pay to play has been around on the PC platform since before 2011. As has paying for upgrades and in game stuff. This is old hat on the PC platform, though it's fairly new to consoles. I'm not sure how much I buy their "but it costs money to make this stuff" but they should have kept it on the PC.

As for Capcom, really this is no worse than what they've always done. Street Fighter 2, Street Fighter 2 Championship EDITION, Street Fighter 2 hyper fighting. Then add some new people and moves and Super Street Fighter 2, a few more tweaks and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo.

Fairly hilarious. And then there was the Alpha series. Of which there were two versions of alpha 2 with one only having a gameplay balance tweak and god knows how many versions of alpha 3. I recall the two Alpha 3s that didn't play the same due to tweaks. Then Alpha 3 upper, and more, probably about six versions of the same game.

Does it suck, yeah... but nickle and diming people has been going on the PC long before it hit consoles. And Capcom are known for being dicks and making you buy the same thing multiple times. So this is really nothing new.

Im used to the special editions and what not I just hate not having any unlockables. I just always loved unlocking characters and what not.

So Capcom announced their DLC plans. Some stuff will be free, but all those characters already complete on the 360 disc? Yeah you have to pay for them. $20 for the lot of them minus Pac-Man and Mega Man. Now $20 for 12 characters doesn't sound too horrible if you ignore the whole "they were complete at launch, on the disc, AND unlocked for free on the Vita version" thing.

The other paid DLC is costume swaps. Make the SF characters dress like Tekken characters and vise versa. $1 each or $13 per side. So $26 for all the characters.

To reiterate: $20 for 12 characters and $26 for costume swaps. $46 for all the paid DLC.

On the good side is all the free stuff:

Nine new gem packs for over 60 new gems
Replay analyzer
Tournament support for gem selection
Three new quick combo pre-sets
Three additional gem loadout slots
Three new color packs with four colors each

Source: http://www.capcom-unity.com/brelsto...es_and_more_coming_to_street_fighter_x_tekken

Before I stop let's do some quick math: Prior to this DLC the Vita version of the game has 17 more characters than the 360 version. Capcom believes 12 characters is worth $20 or roughly a $1.70 (rounding up) per character. Since the Vita version isn't out yet we don't know what it will cost, but let's assume they price it at $40 like UMvC3. For the sake of argument let's say by the time it comes out SFxT on the 360 is the same price. So at that point the Vita version will have roughly $30 (again, rounding up) worth of added value over the 360 version (not counting costume swaps because well it's costume swaps). 3/4th of the price of the game. To get even near the same number of characters (assuming Capcom doesn't release more DLC by the time) you need to add half the cost of the game, bringing you back up to $60 and still leaving the Vita with five exclusive characters or eight and a half dollars worth of free content.

Now I shall step off my high horse since I've not played the game nor have plans to buy it, however I'm sure I'll rent it at some point to check it out or maybe buy it used at $20 somewhere down the line.

It's a game I'd say is worth a purchase just because of how big it is. There are a gazillion characters (completely ignoring the DLC) and the Tekken characters truly are a bit of a departure from the Street Fighter universe.
Plus, it's probably pretty good for people that are only casual players, too. You can get chain combos without a whole lot of crazy timing or memorization, super and team attacks are extremely easy to do (motion with 2 buttons), and the mechanics are generally pretty functional. Plus, normal attacks are back to being effective after the jab-happy SF4 where everyone left you wide open.

It's a game I'd say is worth a purchase just because of how big it is.

Or how big it WILL be?

Capcom burned me on MvC3 (a series that they'd NEVER double dipped on before). No way in HELL I'm buying anymore Capcom games within year 1 especially not with all this "disc locked content" nonsense they're trying to pull (AGAIN).

I'll wait for the inevitable SSFxT. :rolleyes: Only took 9 months to go from MvC3 to UMvC3....let's see how long this one takes. It's either that or TxSF which (being from Namco and knowing their past) means no DLC, everything's included in the damn game, just beat it repeatedly to unlock it. You know, the way it SHOULD be. Not this nickel and diming BS. The only company who's said anything WORSE is the BlazBlue developer who said he'd consider releasing a barebones BlazBlue and charging for EVERY CHARACTER. There's no excuse to put finished content on the disc if it's not accessible to the player for free. There's also no excuse to charge for updates when game consoles have broadband and hard drives. The days of requiring a brand new cartridge to go from SFII to SFII Special Championship Edition or SFII Turbo are long gone. I gave up on SF4 when they announced SSF4 and they're released 2 more versions since then on that one too.

Eventually everyone else will get sick of this shit and quit buying their products. Until then I'm sure the rabid fanbase at Shoryuken will continue bending over and acting like everything's a-ok.
MvC2 was released on a 1GB Dreamcast GD-ROM with 56 characters, a ton of music and a ton of stages, all unlockable. Yet suddenly a DVD or BluRay that is no less than 4x the capacity is incapable of doing something similar. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Or how big it WILL be?

Capcom burned me on MvC3 (a series that they'd NEVER double dipped on before). No way in HELL I'm buying anymore Capcom games within year 1 especially not with all this "disc locked content" nonsense they're trying to pull (AGAIN).

I'll wait for the inevitable SSFxT. :rolleyes: Only took 9 months to go from MvC3 to UMvC3....let's see how long this one takes. It's either that or TxSF which (being from Namco and knowing their past) means no DLC, everything's included in the damn game, just beat it repeatedly to unlock it. You know, the way it SHOULD be. Not this nickel and diming BS. The only company who's said anything WORSE is the BlazBlue developer who said he'd consider releasing a barebones BlazBlue and charging for EVERY CHARACTER. There's no excuse to put finished content on the disc if it's not accessible to the player for free. There's also no excuse to charge for updates when game consoles have broadband and hard drives. The days of requiring a brand new cartridge to go from SFII to SFII Special Championship Edition or SFII Turbo are long gone. I gave up on SF4 when they announced SSF4 and they're released 2 more versions since then on that one too.

Eventually everyone else will get sick of this shit and quit buying their products. Until then I'm sure the rabid fanbase at Shoryuken will continue bending over and acting like everything's a-ok.
MvC2 was released on a 1GB Dreamcast GD-ROM with 56 characters, a ton of music and a ton of stages, all unlockable. Yet suddenly a DVD or BluRay that is no less than 4x the capacity is incapable of doing something similar. :rolleyes:

I'm with you. Not to mention the whole gem system which is contentious enough as it is in terms of balancing, without a whole heap of them being paid-DLC.

I'm with you. Not to mention the whole gem system which is contentious enough as it is in terms of balancing, without a whole heap of them being paid-DLC.

Im not even clear on what the gems are for exactly. I played through it a couple times, but I'm not really digging it and with nothing to unlock *eh* Most of the characters in SSFIV AE or whatever it is have kind of a story.

The gems have a few different uses. Some give you a damage boost if you land a certain number of attacks, block a certain number attacks, or land a certain kind of attack.
Some will auto-escape throws but penalize your speed/damage/etc.
Some will auto-block, but penalize you in the same way.

They aren't as big of deal as people initially made them out to be, but some gems are certainly pretty handy with certain teams. For instance, some will increase damage off of a launcher attack, so team combos can do tons of damage quickly. They aren't game-breaking, but they're another wrinkle.

I'm not sure how they unlock, though. I had a certain set of them when I first started and I haven't noticed any new ones showing up. I tend to stick to the ones that increase damage and/or the super meter.

Back