suddenly slow internet

holinger

Limp Gawd
Hi, I live in South Dakota and I use a small company called Knology, that is rapidly growing and has alot of business in the South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota areas. I used to always get 2+mb download (sometimes as high as 5mb), and 500-756kb upload. Lately, my download has REALLY started to jump around. Most of the time its starting to hover around 0.3mb a second, but at times it jumps back up to about 1mb a second. I was wondering what the possible causes for this were. I don't require all that fast of download speed, but now that I can't even watch youtube videos or download music without waiting and waiting its starting to make me mad. The only thing I can think of is our aged modem that we've had since I don't remember when. I don't even know what brand it is but the model number is : 60678EU. When I google that model number it says it is a Siemens Ambit 60678EU so i will go with that :rolleyes: any help would be appreciated. If you need more information just ask. I'm getting my speeds from speedtest.net and just by looking at how fast I download things on my computer/ps3/xbox/ect.

EDIT: i suppose i should maybe mention that it is high speed cable internet.

there's a lot of different reasons it could be slow...

they've over-subscribed users in the area, which means more people are sharing the same node.

they've over-subscribed, and don't have enough bandwidth on (a) backbone(s).

the copper to your house may have moisture, which could cause issues, or otherwise degraded the signal.

internal coax could be aging causing a degraded signal.

could be your computer.

could be a router, if you have one.

there's a couple.

Back