Suddenly slow boot times

skinnypotbelly

Limp Gawd
This problem started after I changed out the cpu hsf. I really don't know if it's related to me changing out the hsf or not. After the evga splash screen and the other screen that shows the irq assignments, my system "hangs" for atleast a few minutes, shows a blank screen, before the windows splash screen will show. This lasts for atleast 3-4 minutes. Before, the windows splash screen will show right after the screen showing irg assignments.

So far I've tried defragging, scan disk, and fixmbr. Nothing seems to work. I've tried to clear the cmos and restoring the system to an earlier checkpoint and that doesn't seem to work either. I've tried reseating the memory modules and the cpu, but my cpu seems to be stuck to my board. Only thing else I can think of is that maybe my windows file has been corrupted and that I should reinstall. If anyone has any input, please help. Thanks.

My specs
x2 4800
raptor
seasonic s12 600
evga 6200tc
evga sli mobo

I don't know if this helps but I just had a very similar problem.
Windows would "hang" for about 20 seconds right after ' Verifying dmi pool data' and before the windows splash screen. It just showed a blank screen for a while.

I noticed that if I hit the Delete key a couple of times during that Pool Data message, the system would continue to boot right away. Try it.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with incorrect drive assignments.

This solved it for me: Disconnect all your drives (including any usb drives or card readers) and reboot, go into your bios and save changes then shut down. Now just connect the drive containing your windows installation and go to your bios again save changes and startup windows. The problem should be gone now, on the next reboot connect another drive and so on

Good luck!

Are you sure the new heatsink is mounted properly and there is the correct amount of thermal paste on the CPU? It sounds like the system could be overheating or something similar. I would check the temps in the BIOS to see what they are running at. Always look at the last thing you did before the problems started and make sure that didn't cause the problems.

dakine99 said:
I don't know if this helps but I just had a very similar problem.
Windows would "hang" for about 20 seconds right after ' Verifying dmi pool data' and before the windows splash screen. It just showed a blank screen for a while.

I noticed that if I hit the Delete key a couple of times during that Pool Data message, the system would continue to boot right away. Try it.

I'm pretty sure it has to do with incorrect drive assignments.

This solved it for me: Disconnect all your drives (including any usb drives or card readers) and reboot, go into your bios and save changes then shut down. Now just connect the drive containing your windows installation and go to your bios again save changes and startup windows. The problem should be gone now, on the next reboot connect another drive and so on

Good luck!

Thanks for the help. Turns out it was my 7 in 1 card reader. If I leave it hooked up to the motherboard header the system would hang. After I disconnected it, the boot times returned to normal. Does anyone happen to know a work around to this?

Back