Suddenly I want to upgrade...

You are missing the fact that the current amd gpu fah core sucks and wouldn't be able to take anywhere near the advantage of that beast.

Who says that you couldn't build a similar rig with NVidia cards? The Virtual OpenCL can run unmodified OpenCL 1.1 (and 1.0) applications, so I think it wouldn’t care which GPU manufacturer. Besides, AMD GPU’s aren’t that bad anymore, are they (honest question)?

Last edited:
The AMD GPU's themselves aren't bad it's the folding core they use that's the problem. Also, I believe the Nvidia folding core is still reliant on CUDA - which means it wouldn't be possible to use them in a setup like this for folding.

Yeah honestly the AMD GPU's actually have more compute power available now. Besides the GK110, which is Tesla only and VERY expensive, the faster compute cards are the AMD GCN cards. Sadly the F@H core runs like crap on them though :(

Ah, understood. I was pretty sure that I had heard that AMD's direct computer power was excellent, but not supported well by F@H. Bummer.

But then again, it keeps me from going crazy. Bad enough that I am having trouble waiting for Haswell to upgrade my OC'd i7-765... ;)

Back