Sucks: Crossfire does only 1600x1200@60 or 1920x1200@52

OldM3ta

[H]ard|Gawd
Crossfire does 1600x1200@60 or 1920x1200@52

Pictures to prove it

By Fuad Abazovic: Friday 16 September 2005, 13:38
FOLLOWING UP on our ATI story here, where we wrote that ATI cannot do more than 1600x1200@60Hz, we managed to find screenshots from the official Crossfire platform. This chipset and the master card edition X850 XT PE cards scheduled for Monday the 26th launch and we managed to get some shots of the machine actually running.

It turns out that you cannot set higher refresh rate than 1600x1200 at 60Hz - we were right about that. However, you will be able to use 1920x1200 but you will be limited to 52Hz only. Bothc cases are fine for all TFT users as 60Hz on those displays by some miracle looks very good.

This still will be insuficcient for millions of people who want to own Crossfire and have a good old but big and great CRT display. I don't plan to throw away my 22-inch CRT capable of 2048x1536 anytime soon and on these displays you kind of want to play at 1600x1200. On an office 19-inch TFT I simply cannot go more than native resolution of 1280x1024 at 60Hz.

For new PC users, I believe that ATI will educate its customers to sell those super high end PCs with brand new TFT and that kind of makes sense, but the upgrade market might suffer from this limitation. Here are the pictures of the Crossfire driver on two X850 XT PR cards in action.

Bummer.

I'm sure a flamewar will start soon enough. Perhaps a little later as all the kids are at school right now.

well it is the Irkedquirer. Until theres a second report i'd consider this based on a hand written note on a napkin found in ATIs cafeteria dumpster

All I know is that my Diamond Pro 2070SB CRT will not be liking that low of a refresh rate. :(
Another pair of points to Nvidia's SLI (one point for each card :) )

Oh' boy, ATi really dropped the ball on this one. Talk about a clusterf**k of epic proportions :rolleyes: Nvidia's marketing department will have an easy time making R520 look inferior to their 7800 series

wizzackr said:
:rolleyes:

-> http://www.penstarsys.com/#xfire_sil

guys, please WAIT TILL THE CARD IS OUT before making sweeping assumptions on performance and how much ATI's engineers suck. It's all speculation.

thanks for the link wizzackr. If true, 60Hz doesn't seem like a huge deal. But you gotta admit, the 60Hz limitation will be bad PR for ATi regardless.

riggs58 said:
But you gotta admit, the 60Hz limitation will be bad PR for ATi regardless.

true. however, if the penstar's speculation is correct, it is just that - bad PR that competing companies will use as a means of marketing their product and have it look better than ATI's. ...even if there is no limitation at all :D

just like the whole dust-buster thing was blown way out of proportion IMHO.

air2k5 said:
ITS FROM INQ!!!!!
WHEN WERE TEHY EVER RIGHT? :mad: :mad:

Now? lol
I dont believe them much anymore, but if that artice is on many sites, including [H], then you know its true. Im glad I went for nVidia becuase if this is true, its gonna suck for ATi. Good thing I didnt wait. BUT, its still too early to tell. Lets all just wait till later on in the month when its actually release and good sites like Anandtech or [H] can get their hands on it to review it for us.

wizzackr said:
:rolleyes:

-> http://www.penstarsys.com/#xfire_sil

guys, please WAIT TILL THE CARD IS OUT before making sweeping assumptions on performance and how much ATI's engineers suck. It's all speculation.

Wizzackr, sorry to counter ya, but: :eek:
While reading the article go to Josh's discussion about the article and note this sad post:

Josh/Penstarsys.com said:
Things are getting more and more interesting as time goes on...

I have received some 3rd party confirmation that testers with CrossFire rigs can't in fact get above 1600x1200 @ 60 Hz with CRTs.

Something else to consider is that the Compositing chip doesn't appear to have built in RAMDACs or a TMDS transmitter, so has to use external ones. From what we are starting to see, it might just be the lack of high quality, built in RAMDACs or TMDSs that is limiting the solution to 1600x1200 60 Hz. If this is the case, ATI is indeed in big trouble as there are certain things you just can't work around.

http://www.penstarsys.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=14;r=1

So now Josh admits the problem does exist. Wonder if he'll update his article or have a follow-up article?

HighTest said:
Wizzackr, sorry to counter ya, but: :eek:
While reading the article go to Josh's discussion about the article and note this sad post:

http://www.penstarsys.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=8;t=14;r=1

So now Josh admits the problem does exist. Wonder if he'll update his article or have a follow-up article?

has just been posted in the other thread on this topic, too. sorry, my bad - i hadn't seen this. we should really get these two topics together...

well yea when i posted i didnt see anything about rage3d, well anyway i dont really care my 19" wil love it i bet

air2k5 said:
well yea when i posted i didnt see anything about rage3d, well anyway i dont really care my 19" wil love it i bet

Dude you have got to be kidding?!?!?!

AT article has AA not working on Crossfire except for D3d games that let you set it in game. Now we find out it's limited to a blindness inducing 60Hz.

And your response is "I can't wait"?????

:confused:

air2k5: I have a SPECIAL Crossfire offer I am going to make ONLY to YOU:
I have the ORIGINAL Crossfire rig in a box in my storage room- TWO Voodoo2 cards to run in Crossfire configuration for over the top, nVidia smashing gaming fury.

I will let you have them before the Crossfire NDA expires for just $500.. PM me for PayPal address.
:D

Rollo said:
AT article has AA not working on Crossfire except for D3d games that let you set it in game. Now we find out it's limited to a blindness inducing 60Hz.
And your response is "I can't wait"????? :D

You obiously haven't read the article provided and have little concept for a product that is unreleased (and I think the particular hardware preview you are referring to was made in July)

tornadotsunamilife said:
You obiously haven't read the article provided and have little concept for a product that is unreleased (and I think the particular hardware preview you are referring to was made in July)

If you're talking about Joshs article, what do I care about it? He's come out since and said 16X12 at 60Hz is the limit, and that's pathetic.

1. I have 6800GT SLI and 7800GTX SLI in my rigs. I can tell you the settings START at 16X12 with high end SLI. Having a 60Hz cap on 16X12 is a joke.

2. The benches so far have shown X850 Crossfire as only a bit faster than a 7800GTX. Why wouldn't you buy a 7800GTX and use whatever resolution you want, have TAA, have SM3, have soft stencil shadows, have EXR HDR, at much less cost? :rolleyes:

Rollo said:
2. The benches so far have shown X850 Crossfire as only a bit faster than a 7800GTX. Why wouldn't you buy a 7800GTX and use whatever resolution you want, have TAA, have SM3, have soft stencil shadows, have EXR HDR, at much less cost? :rolleyes:

Well that is how I look at both Crossfore and SLi so you're probably barking up the wrong tree here. The point I was making was that you were judging an unfinished product.

Rollo said:
1. I have 6800GT SLI and 7800GTX SLI in my rigs. I can tell you the settings START at 16X12 with high end SLI. Having a 60Hz cap on 16X12 is a joke.

It's no limitation at all if you'd join the rest of the century and pick up an LCD instead of scratching out images on your rock with a chisel....oh, I mean, use a CRT.

:p

Please dont turn this into an LCD vs CRT thread. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows CRTs are superior for gaming :p

If you look at the picture of the article it shows that the monitor is a Samsung SyncMaster 240T (digital) maybe it's limited because that is the max resolution of that monitor. It's also an LCD so 60 refresh rate won't make much different on a LCD. I think that monitor is a 17-19in could be the monitors fault.

dderidex said:
It's no limitation at all if you'd join the rest of the century and pick up an LCD instead of scratching out images on your rock with a chisel....oh, I mean, use a CRT.
I game with a FE2111SB because I can use any resolution up to 19X14 with no distortion. Which LCD could I do that with?

Oh yeah, I forgot- I should be tolerating one resolution, washed out colors, dead pixels, backlighting, and ghosting to reclaim a few inches on my huge oak desk. :rolleyes:

Rollo said:
I game with a FE2111SB because I can use any resolution up to 19X14 with no distortion. Which LCD could I do that with?

Oh yeah, I forgot- I should be tolerating one resolution, washed out colors, dead pixels, backlighting, and ghosting to reclaim a few inches on my huge oak desk. :rolleyes:

pwned.

Rollo said:

Daaayam!

Time ta ice dem nutz!
biggrin.gif

Rollo said:
If you're talking about Joshs article, what do I care about it? He's come out since and said 16X12 at 60Hz is the limit, and that's pathetic.

pics of 2 said rigs?

and link to benchmarks showing that?

thanks and haha@whoever gave the Tera coment :p

soulsaver

Rollo said:

Yes, does your e-penis feel bigger? :p hehe.. kidding kidding, nice rigs

This limitation is probably gonna end up hurtin ATI in the future.. but meh, i have my fancy LCD

Entropy said:
Yes, does your e-penis feel bigger? :p hehe.. kidding kidding, nice rigs

This limitation is probably gonna end up hurtin ATI in the future.. but meh, i have my fancy LCD

===========================================D

;)

Rollo said:
===========================================D

;)

Man, if that's how small your e-penis is with all of that cool stuff, mine is miniscule. :(

Nuzzles said:
Man, if that's how small your e-penis is with all of that cool stuff, mine is miniscule. :(

he uses big fonts lol

I really wouldn't be worried tell the card hits the shelfs 100%

Also, I like CRT monitors they just look better to me even though they are way harsh on my eyes and my optometrist says either quit using a pc so much or try LCD screens.

LadyMakoFox said:
Also, I like CRT monitors they just look better to me even though they are way harsh on my eyes and my optometrist says either quit using a pc so much or try LCD screens.
Seriously? I always thought that LCD's being "healthier" than CRT's was just a fallacy. I'm aware that when you look at a CRT monitor you're really just looking straight into an electron gun, but the MPRII standard implemented back in the 70's was supposed to have elminated the health risks associated with the projection cathode rays.

You're post concerns me (*as I sit in front of my Samsung 997DF CRT typing this message*).

GVX said:
Seriously? I always thought that LCD's being "healthier" than CRT's was just a fallacy. I'm aware that when you look at a CRT monitor you're really just looking straight into an electron gun, but the MPRII standard implemented back in the 70's was supposed to have elminated the health risks associated with the projection cathode rays.

You're post concerns me (*as I sit in front of my Samsung 997DF CRT typing this message*).

Well my eyes are really senstive to light is why and he says that they just arent as harsh on my eyes as a crt is but I'm also on computers over 12 hours a day and didn't have eye problems tell I started using a pc

saturnine2 said:
Please dont turn this into an LCD vs CRT thread. :rolleyes:

Everyone knows CRTs are superior for gaming :p

True enough, but most people do ALOT more than gaming with their display.

GVX said:

LCD's are alot better for eye strain than CRT this is FACT. Google it and you will find alot of info on this. Just because you have a high refresh rate don't mean squat. Sooner or later you will pay the price, trust me.

Back