Successful $100,000 Kickstarter Dev Calls It Quits

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Wait, there's a Bear Simulator? I guess I’ll be the cynical one and assume that he simply got bored of developing the game.

In 2014 nearly 4,000 backers pledged $100,000 for a silly game about being a bear. Yesterday, despite seemingly happy backers and 78 percent positive reviews on Steam, Bear Simulator’s developer says updating the game any further is “a lost cause.”

"Thanks for the money. Now eat shit."
He seems more butthurt than exploitative. I'd be happy to sell a pile of shit for $100K, but he wants people to tell him how nice they thought it was. lol.

Game is garbage and he just made out with $100,000. Makes up some bullshit about his pussy hurting and get's to bounce out. Sounds like a little conniving bitch to me. In my opinion of course...

Here's the whole quote:

Well the game didn’t have a great reception, has a stigma against it’s name and there’s plenty of other problems so making any updates or going further is basically a lost cause now. Plus not skilled enough to make the game better than it currently is or write better updates than previously.

Was really hoping the Steam release would go well but why would it, should have just gave the game to backers and not bother with Steam.

Also don’t want to deal with the drama anymore. Can’t ignore it because that causes more drama and can’t do anything about it because that causes more drama.

Yeah...he sounds like a fucking bitch. Also inept and/or too lazy to improve his skills if he is "not skilled enough to make it better". Why not spend some of that money and get some freelance help?

I have to wonder, why people would've thought this was a good enough idea to kickstart in the first place.

He missed a good chance to make a shitty game even more shitty until it was popular. Goat Simulator was a pile of shit at launch, however the brokenness and crazy shit actually made the game fun. And hey kept adding more shit to it!

I saw this on Steam early access the other day. I watched the video - not really a game I was interested in, but I was intrigued by the fact that you played as a bear.
I rarely back Kickstarter games and rarely buy early access games. If its from a developer I've enjoyed software from in the past, I might (and sort of hope it actually pays out). If I never heard of the developer, I will hit the "follow" button and keep an eye on it. There are too many games and not even close to enough time to play them. Hell, I have somewhere near 600 games in my Steam account now - have I even played 60 of them? Not sure...

I have to wonder, why people would've thought this was a good enough idea to kickstart in the first place.

Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight are full of people forking out money to people claiming to be game devs for garbage products. There seems to be a large number of people doing it, and actually making money. It's genuinely hard to believe but it's happening, it gets a lot of coverage on YouTube if you want to learn more.

He only wanted $29,000 to make the game. He released a game worth that $29,000. The dev is not at fault here, bitchy whiners are.

He only wanted $29,000 to make the game. He released a game worth that $29,000. The dev is not at fault here, bitchy whiners are.

So give the other $71k to someone competent to keep working on the game that people paid for.

So give the other $71k to someone competent to keep working on the game that people paid for.

People didnt pay for it, they donated to it. Huge difference.

He made the game HE wanted to make. Fuck anyone who expected extra.

Not sure why people continue to misunderstand this, but Kickstarter is not a donation...it's a pledge in exchange for rewards. If the rewards promised aren't delivered, there could theoretically be legal action.

I guess what I'd what to know is if he actually delivered on what was promised.

Kickstarter and Steam Greenlight are full of people forking out money to people claiming to be game devs for garbage products. There seems to be a large number of people doing it, and actually making money. It's genuinely hard to believe but it's happening, it gets a lot of coverage on YouTube if you want to learn more.
There are legitimate ones. Almost all the ones I've kickstarted have proven so, while they aren't all fantastic, but it has been finished products or they are still working.

And yea, its not donations, its dry investments.

He tried to rip off Goat Simulator and made a p.o.s. game. Nothing new here.

Back