Subwoofer is not getting along with the neighbors

azrael201

Weaksauce
I was using my friends Infinity RABOS bass calibration cd to test my Dayton sub and of course i wanted to see how low it went. I guess after 5 minutes of 95Hz to 21Hz of bass we started watching matrix for another 10 before the neighbor came to knock. She said her frames were rattling for "3 hours" (score!).

Anyways is there a way to dampen the bass besides reducing the level? Or maybe moving the sub to another wall will help?

azrael201 said:
I was using my friends Infinity RABOS bass calibration cd to test my Dayton sub and of course i wanted to see how low it went. I guess after 5 minutes of 95Hz to 21Hz of bass we started watching matrix for another 10 before the neighbor came to knock. She said her frames were rattling for "3 hours" (score!).

Anyways is there a way to dampen the bass besides reducing the level? Or maybe moving the sub to another wall will help?
Is it ported? BLock the port up with foam. If the speaker is on the bottom of the sub you also can but foam under there. <-- Had same problem with an Altec Lansing system.

The one way to reduce vibrations tranmitted through walls would be to get an isolator, such as the Auralex Gramma, which will help to decouple the sub from the floor. These run about 50$, IIRC.

Wow i didn't know these things existed...hot, but obviously since it is attenuating the sound is the intensity lower or certain frequencies are absorbed? Basically how will it affect my sound?

I have very high pile rug in my apartment and the Dayton is a down firing front port sub i wonder if my floor is acting as a soundboard to teh wall and ceiling?

azrael201 said:
Wow i didn't know these things existed...hot, but obviously since it is attenuating the sound is the intensity lower or certain frequencies are absorbed? Basically how will it affect my sound?

I have very high pile rug in my apartment and the Dayton is a down firing front port sub i wonder if my floor is acting as a soundboard to teh wall and ceiling?
The rug is better for reducing higher frequencies.

Anyways, your starting to talk about a whole concept of professional audio, call acoustical dampening.
More specifically, you may want to look into things like bass traps (google) and other materials SPECIFICALLY designed for low frequencies absorbtion (diffrent materials absorb sound at diffrent frequencies, with bass being one of the hardest).

Partsexpress.com seems to have some for ok prices. Some people even go so far as to install special drywall formations... but then your starting to get into a lot of $$$.

~I hope this gives you a good starting point.

ah i thought the auralex was a simple solution i guess that's not all?

Isn't it the lower frequencies i'm worried about if their picture frames are rattling? I don't think since i'm renting this apt for just 2 yrs that i want to mess with extra construction with the drywall stuff.

i'm just wondering how well the auralex would work

hey azrael... is this the 10" or 12" version?

I'm looking into these subs... and just wondering what you have. Cuz it sounds like it is really powerful for the price. ;)

hands down they are best bang for the buck and i believe the 10" one is the one you want from partsexpress

Rasing the sub up higher in the air can help sometimes. My four subs were rattling the hell out of my walls and cuboards, I had to shuffle the big 50lb boxes around for a few hours before I found a good spot for them

Download SweepGen, run it, and find a point where things start rattling, then re-arrange things, run it again... Trial and error method will work the cheapest.

when you say elevated what is that like? a few inches or a few feet? And i probably have to shuffle the location?

can anyone provide first hand experience of how well the gramma works before i drop 60 on it?

I don't have any firsthand experience with it, but I'm going to buy one this Friday when I get paid, so I could probably tell you more then =]

Basically, the Gramma prevents vibrations from the subwoofer cabinet from being transmitted straight into the structure of your house, so you won't get nearly as much rattling as before. I suppose that this depends on a number of factors in the end, such as the size of your sub and room, along with how your house was framed, but in the end it should help out a reasonable amount.

Keep in mind this is an apartment, not a house. Seems to me it will be pretty difficult to keep the vibrations/sound from affecting somebody who is only 4" of drywall away.

Back