Subnetting help

Kaos

[H]ard|Gawd
Im desparately trying to be able to do these off the top of my head but the problem is ive now been taught 4 ways to do it ffrom various instructors who all had their own "special" way of doing it.

I saw one method which did not involve borrowing bits in any way that looked easy but Ive been unable to find it past that.

Anyone have any guide or want to give a class here on how to do it?

sorry, you can lock, looked in the faq...unless people have other methods they would like to discuss.

i read the faq and everything as well, but id also like to see what methods other people use for subnetting, or some tips

im specifically looking for the method that does not require to borrow bits

I've never heard of an method that doesn't borrow bits, except the calculator. Plus, what is easy for one person is not the same from person to person.

cant use that calculator on my CCNA.

I put much emphasis into not being a paper cert so i want to completely understand it instead of just fluffling my way through it.

Well, the only thing that comes to mind is VLSM (variable length subnet masking). Since it's "classless", there are no classes, and therefore no bits to "borrow". But the basic idea is still the same...the first bits are the network address, the next are the subnetwork address, and the rest are the host address.

Back