Subnet Help

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
I am trying to create a new subnet for some lab machines that i use for work, at my home.

At home i have a basic network, but I have a server 2008 box running AD, DNS, DHCP.
DHCP Scope is 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 - Just passes out IPs to my wifi, computers, tablets, phones, whatever.

I would like to create a new DHCP scope for my lab...say 192.168.50.0

My switch doesnt have VLANs.

What do i need to do on my DNS/DHCP Server?
Do I need to create a static route on my router? How will my PC on 192.168.1.10 be able to connect/RDP to machines in my new subnet?

I am trying to create a new subnet for some lab machines that i use for work, at my home.

At home i have a basic network, but I have a server 2008 box running AD, DNS, DHCP.
DHCP Scope is 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 - Just passes out IPs to my wifi, computers, tablets, phones, whatever.

I would like to create a new DHCP scope for my lab...say 192.168.50.0

You don't really need to. You could just define the scope for everything except for the devices with static IP's outside the scope.

My switch doesnt have VLANs.

You don't really need to unless you added security and control where Network A has to be approved to talk to Network B.

What do i need to do on my DNS/DHCP Server?

You'd need to add a new scope or a second DHCP server, which it sounds like you are unable to do with the current device. Alternatively if you're going through a consumer router you CAN flash it with modified firmware (DD-WRT) and it will allow you to run both VLAN's and extra DHCP servers, thus allowing different scopes on different networks to be routed through the router.

Do I need to create a static route on my router? How will my PC on 192.168.1.10 be able to connect/RDP to machines in my new subnet?

Again, you could do this from outside the current scope for dynamic IP's. It'll still be able to communicate if the router seems them all on the same /24 network regardless if the scope is used or it's outside the scope so long as it's in the same /24. Either way the router knows all the networks and where they go so it will automagically be able to route traffic from different networks so long as it has that permission. That is if it's a consumer router just flashed with custom firmware.

In order to make them separate, you would need a L3 switch or a router with multiple ports. Alternatives I can think of that might work for you:

Get a second router, connect it to the first such that your lab is NAT'd twice.
Dual Home your server, configure RRAS.

You don't really need to unless you added security and control where Network A has to be approved to talk to Network B.
It's also a terrible practice to do this -- too much traffic on one broadcast domain. I'd try and find a cheap Layer 2 switch, then use a home built router (because its fun that way) to connect them up.

Lots of fun basics to learn in a task like that.

You need a router that can do "Routing on a stick" i.e. sub interfaces

or

a l3 Router (Switch style) like the one in my sig.

All routers are layer 3 period! The real bone is whether or not they have functionality to route on a stick or use a route in the routing table between the vlans. This is also known as intervlan routing.

If you truly desire this I recommend you go on ebay and get a Cisco 3560 10/100 switch. Can be had as low $150 if you ebay around sometimes more sometimes less.

Back