Subnautica - Free Thru Epic Games Launcher (12/14-12/27)

You should read this forum sections rules.

I know the rules. If a game is free on Steam, you just say it's free on Steam and folks type it in on Steam and download the game on Steam. This is no different. Anyway. Thank you for posting the link.

this game looks interesting and gets good reviews...anyone here play it?...seems a bit like No Man's Sky- Underwater Edition...don't know if that's a good or bad thing

Last edited:
Scored this one today. One of the kids has been wanting to play it since he saw Dan TDM playing it on YouTube.

Grabbed it and installed it. It's fun, another survival fps game like the Long Dark, but underwater. If you like Survival games, with resource gathering, crafting and exploring then this is definitely for you.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
If you have VR then you have to unplug the goddamn thing as the game will try to launch in VR and VR is broken in the game anyway.

Broken how?
It just goes to a black screen with cursor. The idiots that made this game have been too lazy to fix the VR issue and too lazy to make the game launch in non VR if you have a VR headset plugged in.

Grab this if you enjoy a good single player experience. This game needs more attention, it's absolutely phenomenal.

That seems to be a shared sentiment among those who've played it.

Snagged - thanks OP!

Snagged it, vr is okay, but anyone know how to bypass launching in VR mode minus unplugging the headset? Otherwise pretty fun.

Rad!!! Thanks for the heads up I've been wanting to check this game out

It just goes to a black screen with cursor. ..
wonder if theres a way to disable the headset in windows.
Snagged it, vr is okay, but anyone know how to bypass launching in VR mode minus unplugging the headset? Otherwise pretty fun.
https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Subnautica
Game Launches in VR Mode When VR Isn't Turned On
Use -vrmode none parameter
Launch the game with the -vrmode none parameter.

pcgamingwiki has fixes for tonnes of games

Last edited:
VR works. You just have to give it time to load... It was a little off putting the first time I started a game and ended up staring at a blank screen. "Did it crash? What's going on?" Then I pulled the HMD and saw the loading screen on my monitor.

I am not the target market for these crafting heavy games. You spend a bunch of time in menus and inventories, this just doesn't work well in VR. Especially since you have to use a controller.

This is one to play in pancake with a mouse and keyboard. If it's your kind of thing. I'm gonna give it another chance, but I doubt this is one I'll spend much time with. Which is unfortunate, I've heard good things.

VR works. You just have to give it time to load... It was a little off putting the first time I started a game and ended up staring at a blank screen. "Did it crash? What's going on?" Then I pulled the HMD and saw the loading screen on my monitor.

I am not the target market for these crafting heavy games. You spend a bunch of time in menus and inventories, this just doesn't work well in VR. Especially since you have to use a controller.

This is one to play in pancake with a mouse and keyboard. If it's your kind of thing. I'm gonna give it another chance, but I doubt this is one I'll spend much time with. Which is unfortunate, I've heard good things.

yeah i'm terrible with crafting games but there are plenty of online guides for the game, i pretty much just spend my time exploring the game and ignoring the crafting part. all i built was the larger airtank, powerslide or what ever that thing is called and the scanner tool and just explore. there's a lot of cool stuff to see in the game once you get further away from the escape pod. i also had no issues with VR other than that initial first time like you where it came up as a black screen then closed and restarted the game and worked fine after that.

Last edited:
I'm puzzled why the game doesn't have surround sound. The audio is fantastic and the setting is perfect for it. Seems like a no brainer, but the game is only in 2-channel stereo.

This game was incredible. I actually wish I could pull the knowledge of it out of my skull so I could start all over. The visuals are beautiful, the crafting isn't too overburdening, the difficulty isn't too hard nor too easy, if you want to avoid most of the usual "survival" frenzy that these games usually bring, there's an option for that.

The only thing that really sucks is the inventory management. I found it's generally better to find and remember where resources are rather than strip mine everything. I just kept having to keep loads of shit that I didn't need in spots that I couldn't keep straight. Other than that, definitely one of the best games I've played recently.

This game was incredible. I actually wish I could pull the knowledge of it out of my skull so I could start all over. The visuals are beautiful, the crafting isn't too overburdening, the difficulty isn't too hard nor too easy, if you want to avoid most of the usual "survival" frenzy that these games usually bring, there's an option for that.

The only thing that really sucks is the inventory management. I found it's generally better to find and remember where resources are rather than strip mine everything. I just kept having to keep loads of shit that I didn't need in spots that I couldn't keep straight. Other than that, definitely one of the best games I've played recently.

lol yeah i've already lost 2 floating inventory containers, i have no clue where i left them.. that's my fault for being an idiot and not putting them near my escape pod..

lol yeah i've already lost 2 floating inventory containers, i have no clue where i left them.. that's my fault for being an idiot and not putting them near my escape pod..
Definitely. That's how I started playing too and I ended up hating it until I stopped hoarding everything.

I bought this a million years ago on Xbone, now I have it on PC.

I'm really not into survival games, but the rave reviews here and elsewhere have convinced me to give it a try.

Which is the better platform to play on?

Definitely. That's how I started playing too and I ended up hating it until I stopped hoarding everything.

I was on my third try before I realized I needed to build another shelter and storage in there, I was doing everything out of the escape pod for a few days. I also didn't realize I needed to use the knife to get some materials and felt really stupid when I finally did. It's a totally different kind of game to me, but it's really pretty and there are moments of genuine terror when I am in the middle of the dark 150 meters down with a dead battery and noises all around me. Very immersive.

I signed up for an Epic account last weekend and yesterday received an email that they had detected a series of unsuccessful login attempts for my account. Maybe just a fluke, but I suggest you guys set up 2FA if you haven't already in order to help secure your accounts.

Reactions: GHRTW
like this
I bought this a million years ago on Xbone, now I have it on PC.

I'm really not into survival games, but the rave reviews here and elsewhere have convinced me to give it a try.

Which is the better platform to play on?
I'd probably say PC, provided that you can run the graphics to atleast match the Xbone. There are a few moments when the finer control of a mouse makes a difference, and you can always just plug the Xbone controller into the PC if you want to use it.

Does the Xbox version have multi-channel audio or is it only stereo as well?

I'd probably say PC, provided that you can run the graphics to atleast match the Xbone. There are a few moments when the finer control of a mouse makes a difference, and you can always just plug the Xbone controller into the PC if you want to use it.

OK sounds good. I've got a GTX 1060ti 6gb and play at 1080p. That should be alright, yes? (though my xbox is connected to a 4k TV. )

Back