Styx: Master of Shadows. An overlooked gem in the stealth genre? Thief fans in here!!

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Game is actually on sale now for 66% off - Steam store.

I searched and couldn't find any threads about this game in the Gaming subforum.

Anyone tried it? The user reviews are very promising, and draw numerous comparisons to the old Thief games which, to me, is the basis for an extremely promising start!

“Styx is a success thanks to its extremely varied level design offering multiple ways to play and thus a great replayability. The game also offers a rich atmosphere and allows you to control a hero that does not follow nowadays stereotypes.”

"I'll write a proper review once I finish the game 100% but after 50 hours in I can say this game is AMAZING if you love hardcore stealth games. ... This is a stealth title as they were designed decades ago, don't get caught or you lose and hit your quickload key. Story is top notch, voice acting is superb as well. Game runs extremely well and looks/sounds/feels fantastic. ... The original Thief games (not the remake from a few years ago) are something to compare this game's approach to. If you enjoyed those you are likely the target audience for this game. Age 30-45 gamers who grew up playing unforgiving titles that challenged you and didn't hold your hand should find this a nice nostalgic feel compared to the current trends."

---

"Styx: Master of Shadows’ is a dark and broodingly atmospheric Stealth | Infiltration game which harkens back to vintage classics of the genre such as the early ‘Hitman’s’ and ‘Metal Gear Solid’. A gorgeously conceived world, sprawling open world levels and intuitive gameplay make this one of the best Stealth titles in recent memory. ... Styx: Master of Shadows’ is an ambitious and at times, difficult game – but also the finest interpretation of a pure Stealth game in recent memory. Your success hinges on careful observation, opportunistic timing, use of shadows and the dark arts of distraction and trickery, and most of all, bleeding composure, to navigate a visually stunning world. While rough around the edges in parts technically, its flaws are certainly not game-breaking, and Stealth fans will largely be having too much fun to care. An instant Classic for Stealth fans, and generally Well Recommended!"

---

"Really good stealth game. Like Thief but in 3rd person and a more fantasy setting.

Massive, varied lavels with excellent design. A dark but fun story and characters to keep you interested. Loads of optional objectives will keep you coming back to chase perfection.

Hugely underrated game. Its not perfect but easily meets the AAA standard. If you like true stealth games, you will enjoy this too."

---

"Once upon a time (in 1998) there was a game called Thief.
Thief was one of the first games that actually had stealth as a main gameplay mechanic.
In the same year we were also treated with a game called "Metal Gear Solid" on Playstation (1).

Styx reminds me of those games in many respects, and you know what, thats a good thing."

---

"Verdict? 8/10. Recommended to any fantasy fan and a must have for fans of Hitman and Thief."

Sounds like one of the main criticisms is clunky combat when you get caught, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Thief was like that, and so this isn't like Dishonored or Splinter Cell where offing everyone if you get caught is a viable option.

I'm really thinking about picking this up even though I'm pretty buried in GTA V now. Styx sounds like a very refreshing change of pace from the shooters and sandbox games that I've been playing lately.

I remember seeing this a while ago and wondering if it played as good as it looked.

Its got very positive reviews, so at 66% off it might be worth a risk. Lord knows I've blown $10 on far worse things in my life.

Big fan of the earlier Thief games, so just maybe I'll take a shot at this for when I finally manage to get through The Witcher 3.

Thanks for bringing it back to attention!

This game has been on my Wish list for a while. I saw the notification it was on sale and immediately bit. I spent the weekend trying to finish Of Orcs and Men so I could move to this. I believe this is a prequel to OOaM though, but I still wanted to finish it first.

If the story and voice acting are as good as Of Orcs and Men, it's $10 well spent. I'm hoping that they changed the combat, though. I liked the turn based tactics, but it got kind of old after a while.

I know, I tried to grab it here at work a little while ago and the sale had expired. Blah. Hopefully it'll be back on discount during the summer sale.

Those of you who picked it up and can play it, let us know how it is! I'd much rather pay $10 than $30 (though even $30 is very reasonable if it comes anywhere close to the greatness of the original Thief games).

What's odd is that I remember looking into this when it came out, and I could find were negative reviews.

Now everything I see is positive. Perhaps I'm remembering wrong, but I'm interested to try it anyway.

There apparently was a game breaking bug when it was released. The game would delete your save if you tried to replay a mission. That could be the reasoning behind the negative reviews.

I spent an hour with this, and I'm enjoying it. The only similarity between this and Of Orcs and Men is the World and you're playing Styx. Completely different combat system and you're only controlling one character at a time.

It has very simple unforgiving combat. You basically parry at the right time and then move in for the kill. However, the goal is to stay out of combat and either silently take people down or move on without interacting with them.

It's nothing ground breaking, but if you like stealth games, this is probably a really good one to pick up next time it goes on sale. It'll probably be $5 for the Christmas sale...

On sale again for those who missed it.

It went on sale during the recent summer sale too, but only for something like 40% off so I waited.

This is a great, underrated game and a must-buy for stealth fans at $10. I got it back during the previous winter sale for $15, but I thought it was worth every bit of the $30 full price.

Went ahead and bit. Steam midweek sale has it at $11.99. Worth trying.

My eyeballs are going to come out of my head if I keep buying games on Steam so I don't....... YOLO

I'm no longer a serious gamer

I want the game but I don't cause hell I haven't finished Thief

I like it. It's definitely scratching that Thief itch for me a little bit.

I'd love a new Thief game before too long.

I had to force myself to take a break after two and a half hours of nonstop play.

Thief fans? If you need a fix this is your best shot.

I've been so tempted to get this multiple times that it has gone on sale. But finally my procrastination pays off. It's coming to PS+ for free on the PS4 started next Tuesday.

This game looks really good, reminds me of Dishonored.

Don't go in expecting something like that.

Go in expecting something that's back to basics, early Thief, meat and potatoes stealth and that's done very well.

Try and avoid combat if you can. It stinks but that's the point of the game.

This game is a really pleasant surprise. It's taking away time that would have gone to playing Witcher 3 and Batman AK. That's how much I like it.

Yeah, I was going to say, it doesn't really remind me of Dishonored in that it's 3rd person and in Dishonored you could do the "guns-a-blazing" thing if it came down to it. I preferred stealth in that game, but I don't think that resorting to run-n-gun was as punishing as it is in Styx if you try to resort to combat. Violence is typically supposed to be a last ditch effort, but in Dishonored (and some of the Hitman games) you could get away with it pretty easily. It doesn't sound like that's the case with Styx.

I haven't had time to dive in to this game yet (plan to tonight or this weekend). Part of the appeal of the Thief games for me was Garrett himself, the story behind each mission, and the dark medieval fantasy world inspired by steampunk influences. I don't know that Styx will be as engaging of a main character, but the game world looks cool and the gameplay sounds awesome so I'm looking forward to a satisfying stealth experience.

I haven't had time to dive in to this game yet (plan to tonight or this weekend). Part of the appeal of the Thief games for me was Garrett himself, the story behind each mission, and the dark medieval fantasy world inspired by steampunk influences. I don't know that Styx will be as engaging of a main character, but the game world looks cool and the gameplay sounds awesome so I'm looking forward to a satisfying stealth experience.

Styx has a really good story. The character is one that I'd love to see more, but I see him in more of a Shadows of Mordor type game. Others have said that combat is a last resort, and thats true. I don't think they put much thought into the combat systems as they really don't want you to use it!

Yeah, I was going to say, it doesn't really remind me of Dishonored in that it's 3rd person and in Dishonored you could do the "guns-a-blazing" thing if it came down to it. I preferred stealth in that game, but I don't think that resorting to run-n-gun was as punishing as it is in Styx if you try to resort to combat. Violence is typically supposed to be a last ditch effort, but in Dishonored (and some of the Hitman games) you could get away with it pretty easily. It doesn't sound like that's the case with Styx.

No way. You will die fast and it makes sense. Your character can't be a combat ace if he wanted to be.

You will get it. :)

I enjoyed this. not quite at the level of dishonored but they did do a lot of clever things. It is far superior to the shitty thief that recently came out.

Back