Stuxnet Virus Could Target Many Industries

HardOCP News

[H] News
Am I the only one that saw this headline and read “Skynet?”

Experts are warning a malicious computer attack that appears to target Iran's nuclear plants can be adapted to wreak havoc on other industrial control systems processing everything from chemicals to baby formula.

The computers used to create chemicals are connected to the internet?

I remember seeing some folks on forums going "way to go dudes!!!" when it hit the Iranian nuke power plant.

I then mentioned they might not like it so much when in a few months it switches off their power supplies at home.

For some reason they reacted rather negatively to that idea.

Dont shoot the messenger and all that.

Actually when I read
...industrial control systems using Windows software are vulnerable to the code.
the first thing I thought of was: "Why don't they install Linux"? :cool:

Put on your tin hats folks, any company that allows production software to interact with the internet deserves to be exploited.

The computers used to create chemicals are connected to the internet?

It doesn't use the internet to spread, it infects a USB flash drive or some other device, the people then take the device into the secure network and infect that.

Actually when I read the first thing I thought of was: "Why don't they install Linux"? :cool:

Because then their Siemens software wouldn't work.

What i have always found funny about the virus is this (from another source):
"Once inside the system it uses the default passwords to command the software. Siemens, however, advises against changing the default passwords because it "could impact plant operations" "

The only reason this virus is a problem is because Siemens makes stupid ass software that has default passwords that allow anyone and everyone to have full control over the system.

This is the most advanced virus ever written and experts speculate it was created by a government or large organization. Linux is not unbreakable and I wouldn't be surprised if that organization that created Stuxnet could also create something similar for Linux.

The only reason this virus is a problem is because Siemens makes stupid ass software that has default passwords that allow anyone and everyone to have full control over the system.

This makes me laugh, since its operating a nuclear powerplant. BRB, going to install a screen door on my submarine....

Presumably if curtailing Iran's nuclear aspirations is this important, and Iran has continued with their program, then there must be more attacks planned in the near future :eek:

This is the most advanced virus ever written and experts speculate it was created by a government or large organization. Linux is not unbreakable and I wouldn't be surprised if that organization that created Stuxnet could also create something similar for Linux.

You greatly underestimate the power and dedication some high-level hacking groups have. Honestly, there are some who probably pulled off a perfect hack before.

...but no one knows it who did it, what was taken, why, or that it even happened yet... I bet that keeps security researchers up at night.

I remember seeing some folks on forums going "way to go dudes!!!" when it hit the Iranian nuke power plant.

I then mentioned they might not like it so much when in a few months it switches off their power supplies at home.

For some reason they reacted rather negatively to that idea.

Dont shoot the messenger and all that.

Not to get political but in their defense they said that due to government brainwashing.

Sony BMG infects use with rootkits, hackers take rootkit and create a whole new kind of pain; someone *cough*US*cough* infects Iran's nuclear power plant computers with a new kind of virus, Iranian hackers take the new kind of virus and create a whole new kind of pain. Its the circle of life.

Linux is only as safe as your user account.....which isn't that big of a hurdle. Center enough stuff around your user account and Linux is incredibly open to "hax".

Back