Stuxnet: Cyber Missile That Crippled Iran's Nuke Program

Man, I'd love to know what was done to brainwash you to this extent...

I have a number of thing/people that could make a person end up brainwashed...

#1. The poster is a college professor.

#2. The poster went to a liberal college and listened to/believes wacked out professors.

#3. The poster watches CNN and beleives everything they "report".

#4. The poster is a radical muslim.

Guys, PLEASE read the Fox News article. You should always take what is said with a grain of salt, no matter who says it.
With gems like...
Infiltrate the highly advanced, securely guarded enemy headquarters where scientists in the clutches of an evil master are secretly building a weapon that can destroy the world. Then render that weapon harmless and escape undetected.
...right from the onset, we're going to need a rather delicious slab of pink Himalayan rock salt to make this palatable.

I mean if Iran had been the first nation to figure out nukes we would live in a nucleor wasteland because they would have destroyed any none believers lands.. which is about 3/4 of the lands..
I doubt that; Iran was a rather moderate nation throughout the initial discovery/development of fission and the nuclear arms race, during which time the US was aiding Iran's nuclear program.

Do you have a point to this other than a rambling, inane anti-US anti-Israeli rant?
I was going to flame you, but your post has changed my outlook. I now realize that the US and Israeli governments are above suspicion and/or criticism, and anyone daring to question this is making a direct attack on the citizens of those countries and deserves punishment. Oops -- being such a despicable anti-Semitic anti-American, I'd better shut up before Mossad poisons me or IDF troops smash my head in with bricks. Sorry.

We all knew this was coming someday, the use of a weapon like this, is as much of a landmark event as the first Atomic bomb test.
Weaponized 'logic bombs' like this are nothing new, despite what this funny story claims.

Fair enough, though it goes without saying that any operating system can be exploited. I think in this instance with the amount of expertise shown a *nix box wouldn't have made a difference.
Exploitability aside, non-realtime operating systems (that includes *nixes) simply aren't up to the task of operating a fucking nuclear reactor. It's all fun and games until everyone in the room gets fatally irradiated because of a 40 microsecond discrepancy in some mechanical cycle.

Than what is? Mac OS X is swiss cheese. Linux has piles of flaws of its own. Nothing is perfect.

There are lots of Trusted Operating systems for managing such endeavors (IRIX, TrustedSolaris, certain versions of HP-UX, certain versions of AIX, XTS-400, etc). Windows, anything Mac, and Linux are not them but those are the only OS's most people are familiar with.

The US told Saddam to disarm. Saddam laid down his gun and the US then shot him (excuse the TV Western analogy).

Iran has been forced to expose in fine detail its nuclear ENERGY program to saboteurs because of false charges from the US super-power. So, the people who made Stuxnet (probably Israel) were given all the information they needed for their experts to create this malicious software.

Half of security is secrecy. Iran has been denied that right.

You're damn right they've been denied that right! Jew-hating holocaust-denying douchebags ought to consider the stuxnet worm a gift from god that might prevent them from being obliterated.

looks like skynet just went online

a year ago.

why kill humans when you can use them? oops

Iran set us up the bomb? I wasn't aware we had real details they were making one.

Iran set us up the bomb? I wasn't aware we had real details they were making one.

We've known, Bush forgot how to spell Iran a few years back and ended up attacking someone else. No biggy :)

*not totally serious mode*

After reading most of the story, I have a hard time believing it’s not made up by Hollywood. Seriously, it sounds like something farfetched that you would see in a “Hacker 3” or “Tron 2” movie. I’ve done a little work with robotics and automated machinery to know that most controllers are usually ran on their own obscure/proprietary software. I find it hard to believe that a virus was capable of penetrating a secured environment (with no outside access), remain in the system, jumping from computer to computer for years, and then magically attack the centrifuge control software without detection or adverse effects to the well being of the people in the refinement plant and the equipment.

After reading most of the story, I have a hard time believing it’s not made up by Hollywood. Seriously, it sounds like something farfetched that you would see in a “Hacker 3” or “Tron 2” movie. I’ve done a little work with robotics and automated machinery to know that most controllers are usually ran on their own obscure/proprietary software. I find it hard to believe that a virus was capable of penetrating a secured environment (with no outside access), remain in the system, jumping from computer to computer for years, and then magically attack the centrifuge control software without detection or adverse effects to the well being of the people in the refinement plant and the equipment.

Dude, seriously... haven't you ever heard of a MOBILE virus...Geesh.... get it right.. this is like the simplest thing ever!! Heck if it thought it would get caught it would just... Maybe climb into another scientists Ear or something..... Wait.. that was a movie.. Never mind ;)

Axe

I’ve done a little work with robotics and automated machinery to know that most controllers are usually ran on their own obscure/proprietary software. I find it hard to believe that a virus was capable of penetrating a secured environment (with no outside access), remain in the system, jumping from computer to computer for years, and then magically attack the centrifuge control software without detection or adverse effects to the well being of the people in the refinement plant and the equipment.

I am not going to say the story is 100% accurate, likely it is not, but .........all of the software that was necessary to be accessed is in commercial use at a number of locations (which means it is not exactly impossible to access) except for the Iranian portion, which is the part where intelligence assets come in handy in acquiring such things and before you say it would be impossible bigger things have been acquired before.

With gems like...
Infiltrate the highly advanced, securely guarded enemy headquarters where scientists in the clutches of an evil master are secretly building a weapon that can destroy the world. Then render that weapon harmless and escape undetected.
...right from the onset, we're going to need a rather delicious slab of pink Himalayan rock salt to make this palatable.

Weaponized 'logic bombs' like this are nothing new, despite what this funny story claims.

Exploitability aside, non-realtime operating systems (that includes *nixes) simply aren't up to the task of operating a fucking nuclear reactor. It's all fun and games until everyone in the room gets fatally irradiated because of a 40 microsecond discrepancy in some mechanical cycle.

I was going to take your seriously until you started spouting drivel like you know what your talking about... 40 microseconds? man, those reactor operators in the 50's and 60's had superhuman reflexes...

Let Israel clean up it's own messes for a change. They are clearly going to do whatever the fuck they want - international law be damned - so why not just let them off the chain? They want to start so much shit let them, only let's see how well they do without our billions in aid money and military support.

I think everyone knows who the real terrorists are in that area, and those guys already have a ton of nukes.

Let Israel clean up it's own messes for a change. They are clearly going to do whatever the fuck they want - international law be damned - so why not just let them off the chain? They want to start so much shit let them, only let's see how well they do without our billions in aid money and military support.

I think everyone knows who the real terrorists are in that area, and those guys already have a ton of nukes.

Saudi Arabia?

Having had some training in SCADA and PLC's, mostly allen-bradley PLC-5's and SLC's, back in the 90's I would tend to agree with you, part of the story that is missing here, is where the "inside man" did his part.

SCADA systems have changed a lot since I was in school, Ethernet based controls systems didn't really exist, and equipment from different companies was not compatible, for obvious reasons. I have a AB SLC 500 unit in my garage I paid less than $100 for from E-bay, the damn thing was thousands of dollars when new. makes a hella burgler alarm tho...

nowadays, its a lot easier to attack control systems, as this article shows. just takes people that know the hardware and software very well, like maybe the people that built it?

I am not going to say the story is 100% accurate, likely it is not, but .........all of the software that was necessary to be accessed is in commercial use at a number of locations (which means it is not exactly impossible to access) except for the Iranian portion, which is the part where intelligence assets come in handy in acquiring such things and before you say it would be impossible bigger things have been acquired before.

Nothing's "impossible" I guess. I'm just saying that the story seems fabricated for the value of entertainment, not accuracy.

If a worm/virus like this were capable of infecting thousands of system in a secured/controlled environment, don't you think that 90% of the PCs on this planet would also be infected with the same worm/virus being connected to the Internet?

If something like this DID happen to the Iranian nuclear refinement plant, I'm billing to be that the persons responsible for developing the control software/code were somehow involved or responsible for the malfunction. That seems much more logical than a combination of an undetectable/morphing worm using zero day exploits to infiltrate a secured network, seek out thousands of Iranian computers and modify the centrifuge control system without repercussion.

Just my $.02...

I have a number of thing/people that could make a person end up brainwashed...

#1. The poster is a college professor.

#2. The poster went to a liberal college and listened to/believes wacked out professors.

#3. The poster watches CNN and beleives everything they "report".

#4. The poster is a radical muslim.

False. I go to a liberal college and I think the dude is off his meds.

LOL @ the OS fanboyism. My shit runs on punch cards. Hack that with a worm. It better be a card stock eater.:D

Sucks to be Iran. If its Isreal good for them but I am sure the Arabs one day will have their way, oh well no one will miss them, they sure are not missed in Europe.

Good job Americans, I love the US I just hope the Southern Fat slob cousins keep buying Canadian oil, I hope you keep fucking your country and you keep buying Northern Oil, I love when my Canadian Oil stocks sky rocket :D

I'm not saying Canadians are better they are bunch of tards as well.

Ok. So you stick your thumb drive in an infected machine and the MCP, I mean, STUXNET gets on it. How does it get off (other than fapping to fox news skanks)?

Are there really people stupid enough to use autorun with USB drives? I read that article and the researchers were like "whoa, it got all over our lab."

What? What's the real vector?

Does any one have a more technical read on this?

Ok. So you stick your thumb drive in an infected machine and the MCP, I mean, STUXNET gets on it. How does it get off (other than fapping to fox news skanks)?

Are there really people stupid enough to use autorun with USB drives? I read that article and the researchers were like "whoa, it got all over our lab."

What? What's the real vector?

Does any one have a more technical read on this?

Well, ya know that whole "Free Public WiFi" thing...PCs are perfectly capable of creating peer-to-peer networks wirelessly on their own, if not configured appropriately.

And, heck, who is to say that there aren't still stack overflow attacks possible with wireless drivers? They'd be receiving all packets being bounced around, ignoring most, but, again...know about a bug in the driver, find a way to arrange something like a stack overflow to get executable code somewhere else in memory...

Given the level of information the worm writers had on what hardware was being used, and apparent level of sophistication of the attack...

Wow, you guys are taking this seriously? When Steve linked the words "very good article" to faux news I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. The only thing an intelligent and educated person can glean from faux news is the extreme right's current agenda (I say "current" because they contradict their own "facts" and statements constantly) and spin, the complete transparency of which is also good for a few laughs. But news? No. A collection of wildly speculative statements without attribution interspersed with a few outlandish quotes from sources whose qualifications or associations have not been established or sources unnamed altogether, typical of faux news, does not even qualify as an editorial. It's usually propaganda, pure and simple, and is the very definition of yellow journalism. In this case I suspect it could be just sensationalism, but because faux news almost always has an agenda, it could be setting the stage for some politician to use stuxnet as an excuse to further erode the rights of American citizens, possibly by curbing honest attempts at net neutrality by illustrating the need for deep packet inspection (stuxnet has the ability to update via peer-to-peer) and gaining support by terrifying the ignorant (a la the patriot act).
Mark Langner, one of the few people actually quoted in the story, in the Christian Science Monitor (09-21-2010) called the malware "a one-shot weapon" and said that the intended target was 'probably' hit, but admitted to Wired Magazine (9-23-2010) that this was speculation. He is identified in the article as "the computer expert who was the first to sound the alarm about Stuxnet". lolwut? In the paragraph immediately preceding this, the article states "it was discovered in June by a Belarus-based company that was doing business in Iran". That company is actually VirusBlokAda, an Belarus antivirus software company established in 1997, now famous for discovering stuxnet and "sounding the alarm".
The article goes on to describe stuxnet as "undetectable" and later states "the worm would have to destroy itself without leaving a trace". So why are we hearing about it? The article continues wildly speculative statements attributed to "sources inside" and "experts who have studied the worm". Such assumptive attribution makes these statements journalistically meaningless, or in lay-terms, total bullshit.
This article, like most faux news yellow journalism, is a sensationalist yarn spun from the imagination of an amateur wanna-be spin doctor. To learn more about stuxnet, ANY source would have more journalistic integrity, but a good jumping-off point would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuxnet, or even here http://encyclopediadramatica.com/Stuxnet.

That Wikipedia article linked somewhere interesting, though, that I bothered to validate elsewhere.

Apparently, the head Iranian scientist working to combat the Stuxnet worm in their nuclear program...

...was just killed in a precision car bombing attack, yesterday. 'Precision' as in 'motorcyclists attached magnetic bombs to their car, such that the scientist in the car was killed and his wife - in the car with him - was only injured'.

Holy WTF, batman!

This story is bogus :) . For one reason alone it somehow deducts that a normal town in Iran would be suitable for such a worm to travel from usb able devices. You would think that the normal procedure would be that in a secret installation people are kept on the base. Windows 7 to be used in a military installation , don't think so :)

Because it is not a 9 to 5 job. I found the whole bragging part funny, this makes it impossible to do it again if this is true.

Then again what did you expect from FOX news

Gotta love a story which describes the "experts" of the world scratching their heads and saying "Wow". But if the worm is really as effective as indicated then where does that leave the world if it (or something like it) is used to target the control systems of a nuclear power plant in a highly populated part of the world?

i agree it sounds pretty damn amazing out of the movies type of virus.. ofcourse most future tech does at one point or another in time...

back in the 70s the CIA aided the soviets in getting some IBM supercomputers for their space program... they put them out on the black market and made sure they'd pick them up... only they changed the 15th digit of pi

this is definitely the work of our government

only you only need pi to like 6 places to accurately calculate the trajectory of frickin jupiter....

Personally I hate malware/virus writers, but if half of that Nox News article is right, I would love to shake the hands of the people that wrote Stuxnet. This is one time where the ends justified the means.

The US told Saddam to disarm. Saddam laid down his gun and the US then shot him (excuse the TV Western analogy).

Iran has been forced to expose in fine detail its nuclear ENERGY program to saboteurs because of false charges from the US super-power. So, the people who made Stuxnet (probably Israel) were given all the information they needed for their experts to create this malicious software.

Half of security is secrecy. Iran has been denied that right.

For those that don't like supporting Faux News:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11414483

willful ignorance

^ Didn't mean to lump Stone Cold's post in there. He's right. All I say is, GOOD. I'm fine with Iran being denied secrecy.

It seems interesting.....

But so much of it sounds like complete bullshit and doesn't even make sense.

Seriously, if Israel was allowed to do whatever the hell they want, they probably would have fixed these problems; unlike that abortion agency that NATO is. I think you also have a problem with definition of what a terrorist is.

Back