Stuttering in borderless with ingame vsync setting off.

viivo

[H]ard|Gawd
The specific game where it is most noticeable is FFXIV, but I also experience it in Andromeda and Witcher 3.

At first I thought it was simply an issue of capping the framerate, but using RTSS for that still resulted in stuttering with the ingame vsync setting off. Turning it on eliminates the stutter, but also increases input lag. Am I wrong in assuming vsync settings should have no effect on borderless? Framerate isn't an issue since FFXIV isn't a demanding game, and I'm running it at only 2560x1080@120hz.

Disable fullscreen optimizations is always checked on all game .exes and all the Windows gaming crap is disabled via Group Policy and registry. Specs: 8700k, 1070, LG 34UC79G monitor.

If you're in regular windowed or borderless windowed vsync is always on. You're going to get stutter without it. There isn't a way around that unless you use GSYNC.

I think I read about this being an issue with W10 1803. NVIDIA says it's a Microsoft problem which they supposedly acknowledge, but we're going to have to wait for the fall update if they do fix it. Exclusive fullscreen should work fine if that is an option for you.

If you're in regular windowed or borderless windowed vsync is always on. You're going to get stutter without it. There isn't a way around that unless you use GSYNC.

I understand vsync is on in borderless, but I thought it was from Windows and not affected by any ingame vsync setting.

I understand vsync is on in borderless, but I thought it was from Windows and not affected by any ingame vsync setting.
Windows vsync and the game's vysnc are the same thing. You can't get around the input lag or stuttering by setting it a different place.

It doesn't matter what in-game setting you use because it's ignored if you're in borderless.

Back