Stupidly high temps with Scythe Infinity and 6400!!!

db2431

n00b
Hi, 1st post!Anyway just got a new system, 6400,8800gtx, scythe infinity etc.Anyway after installing the infinity and running it at stock speeds I get 40-45c idle with 5 minutes of being in windows.I tried to overclock to 3.2ghz so 400x8 and the temps back in windows of cpu straight after reboot are 75c!Any ideas??I thought the infinity was meant to be the best air cooler out there, Ive removed and reseated the cooler 3 times and still the same temps, really lost on what to do,system temps are around 38 no matter what.Any help would be great.Mobo is the P5B-E btw.

Some additional information would help such as your voltage settings, case cooling setup, and what thermal compound you're using, as mentioned above.

Also, what method are you using to get your temps? Coretemp would be best. If not Intel's Thermal Analysis Tool (TaT) works great as well.

The stock Infinity mounting system for LGA775 systems is known to not provide enough retention force, which leads to improper contact and bad performance. Try turning your case on its side and letting the heatsink rest directly on top of the CPU, and see if your temps get better. You may also want to use this guide to replace the mounting system with something more secure: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117054

I'd be more interested in your VCore when you OC'ed to 3.2Ghz

I have a P5B-dlx, Scythe, and E6600, I can easily get it to hit 70-75 if my VCore is around 1.5V

este said:

I have a P5B-dlx, Scythe, and E6600, I can easily get it to hit 70-75 if my VCore is around 1.5V

I'd put my money on this. If it's using auto vcore, it's probably running at 1.5 :)

este said:

WTF...my vcore is at 1.5 and I max out at 58C

ok I didnt check the vcore yet, Im away atm.What should my vcore be at for 3.2ghz on a p5b?Sounds like that could be it, and great guide for modding btw!

ZXN said:
WTF...my vcore is at 1.5 and I max out at 58C

I don't know, its pretty hot in my room :) ??

I'm using Arctic Ceramique, but I'm on the 2nd floor, thermostat is on first floor, roommates LOVE to turn heat up.

ok Im buying the stuff for the infinity mod tomorrow, ill let you know how it goes when I refit it on wed or thursday.

Back