Stupid Win7 Network share reconnect issue

Mif

Limp Gawd
So I have a laptop that has a mapped network drive to a server thats always on. Problem is, whenever the laptop is rebooted, the network share is disconnected, and won't reconnect until you retype the password in.

From what I can guess, the network is not coming up before the OS tries to reconnect the network share, causing it to think it can't connect.

Ive tried a startup batch file to no avail.

Anyone else have this completely stupid issue or a way to fix it?

We've had this problem where I work so we set the policy for the system to wait for the network before signing on.

Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\

Always wait for network at computer startup and logon.

I have the same issue, thanKfully I have nothing mission critical that needs to be loaded on startup, and I can login by hand.

what's the error you get when running the bat file?

what's the error you get when running the bat file?

No Error per say, the bat file runs, but you get the balloon tooltip stating "could not reconnect to all network drives"

We've had this problem where I work so we set the policy for the system to wait for the network before signing on.

Where is this setting? This is a non domain setup, just a stand alone laptop.

Where is this setting? This is a non domain setup, just a stand alone laptop.

That's a GPO setting so I don't think you can set it locally. However if that's the case why don't you just map it through windows and check the "reconnect at logon" box and save yourself the trouble with this?

That's a GPO setting so I don't think you can set it locally. However if that's the case why don't you just map it through windows and check the "reconnect at logon" box and save yourself the trouble with this?

I guess I was not clear enough. Obviously I am using "reconnect at logon"

The issue here is the system attempts to reconnect before the system has fully initiated the network interface, so it fails to connect, and prompts for the password when you attempt to reconnect again.

that setting is in the local group policy editor, gpedit.msc . Only available in professional and above. The policy reg key might work if you have a home version. You will have to google that.

The issue here is the system attempts to reconnect before the system has fully initiated the network interface, so it fails to connect, and prompts for the password when you attempt to reconnect again.

If Windows is saving the correct password it should reconnect when you try to open the drive even if it didn't connect at bootup without prompting you for a password. We may need to take a step back and get a few more details.

You're running Windows 7, what version? What are you trying to connect to? Has this ever worked correctly?

No Error per say, the bat file runs, but you get the balloon tooltip stating "could not reconnect to all network drives"

have you tried running the bat file through a command prompt to see if an error appears there, that you don't see at logon due to the window auto-closing?

Back