stupid vista problems help!!

RicKuRuKuS

[H]ard|Gawd
alright just got a laptop with vista thought i could deal with it but i hate the stupid ****ing os it is absolutely terrible... anyways just wondering how i can delete windows defender and windows firewall probably the two most shitty programs created by any human being... thanks for any help... any tweaks would be nice as well...

-rick

Do you want to delete them, or disable them?
You disable them by going to Control Panel/Security Settings.
I'm not sure if you can delete them.

i went there and tried and they somehow dont want to turn off or i cant disable them fully... its a load if crap if you ask me i hate microsfot

Generally, folks can help resolve the bottom-line issue if you tell us a WHY... why you need to disable or uninstall them.

Windows Defender is pretty decent application (Microsoft didn't even write it, FYI).
Windows Firewall is pretty much up to par in Vista... Not a whole lot out there that will top it, unless you just don't like the UI for it, or featureset.

Do you have your own security suite you are using or something? Most of those disable these anyway.

alright just got a laptop with vista thought i could deal with it but i hate the stupid ****ing os it is absolutely terrible... anyways just wondering how i can delete windows defender and windows firewall probably the two most shitty programs created by any human being... thanks for any help... any tweaks would be nice as well...

-rick

key words highlighted for you. Do a clean install to get rid of the bload that new systems come with. It'll make a night and day difference.

I would leave firewall on, for obvious reasons. As for Defender, I don't want that service running but it's nice to have on your system to be able to start and scan on your command.

Funny how you mention you don't want Windows Firewall on, but nothing about turning off system restore.

And btw, I don't think Vista is a bad OS. I just got my Vista system up and patched the other day and I actually like it. Very snappy, AERO is very quick. The OS as a whole is more responsive and loads as fast as my XP system, on new hardware though. But I like it! I installed it originally just because of DX10 but I like how they fleshed out so much more of the OS, to allow more control over components and services. I just wish I could do more to get rid of the install size. I'm at, like, 13 gb (business x64) which I think is to much. Other than turning off system restore and run disk clean, I can't think of anyway to reduce that size.

Funny how you mention you don't want Windows Firewall on, but nothing about turning off system restore.

LOL, I'd much rather support turning that off...
I think Vista uses more space for that by default or something as well, seems to be a bigger GB-Magnet than XP was.

Yeah, if Vista is going slow on a new laptop then it's the fault of the manufacturer and all of their bloatware, not Microsoft's fault. Install a clean copy of Vista before you make any decisions about it.

LOL, I'd much rather support turning that off...
I think Vista uses more space for that by default or something as well, seems to be a bigger GB-Magnet than XP was.

It uses more space because it does way better backups than XP, but if you're an advanced user and don't bork your system all the time then I would turn it off.

-rick

I agree it's absolutly terrible. I don't understand what in the hell all the hype was over this OS system. Wow, all for nothing. IMO

well im not freakin stupid i tweaked out xp like mad and was real picky on my system settings and anything that i saw on my computer at all... with vista its just harder to find out how to shut things off its like they dont want you turning off their stuff lol... ya i already got the system restore shut off thats bogus for sure...

well i guess i gotta do a clean install the only thing im worried about is what about all the little services and programs that came with the computer which ones do i know i need? im just worried about doing a full clean install and just putting the programs i want on and then having the keyboard or built in speakers or touchpad or something like that stop working... any suggestions? btw i got a dell vostro 1500.. thanks for any tips guys it helps a bunch!

Wow, that's a long complicated mess of instructions and asides just to say

0) Make sure to have a physical restore media on hand in case this fails. Recovery partitions on the hard drive are not reliable.
1) Obtain Clean Vista media (not branded OEM reinstall media) (retail, upgrade, generic OEM, anytime upgrade)
2) Download drivers for all your devices that you wish to continue to use and save them on a USB drive.
3) Download Activation Backup and Restore and follow it's instructions to save your activation information to a USB drive. (real simple)
4) Boot from the Vista DVD, erase all partitions, re-create them as you wish (multiple, single, etc), and format them.
5) Install the correct version of Vista without a key.
6) Install all your drivers
7) Use ABR to restore your system to an activated state.

What is so complicated about it? Remember this is geared toward novices, basically all you just need to do is reinstall your drivers from your laptop mfg for a clean install. Any version of Vista media will work as long as you choose the version your laptop came with.

It works perfectly, you would be surprised how much crap is loaded with a laptop OS, and how much you can not get rid of no matter what method you choose. The crap still remains on your drive.

What is so complicated about it? Remember this is geared toward novices, basically all you just need to do is reinstall your drivers from your laptop mfg for a clean install. Any version of Vista media will work as long as you choose the version your laptop came with.

It works perfectly, you would be surprised how much crap is loaded with a laptop OS, and how much you can not get rid of no matter what method you choose. The crap still remains on your drive.

Yeah, I've use that quide's several times now. I've not had a problem with it yet, even switching from 32-bit to 64-bit worked.

Yes same here even with switching to 64bit, only problem I've had was with Toshiba's lack of drivers for 64bit video drivers.

However I see that may be solved by ATI's latest drivers for mobility. Haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for MS to send and receive my free version of Ultimate for participating in their evaluation study. When I get it I will reformat to 64. See what happens.

Yes same here even with switching to 64bit, only problem I've had was with Toshiba's lack of drivers for 64bit video drivers.

However I see that may be solved by ATI's latest drivers for mobility. Haven't tried it yet as I am waiting for MS to send and receive my free version of Ultimate for participating in their evaluation study. When I get it I will reformat to 64. See what happens.

Do the Catalyst 7.x/8.x drivers not work?

I got rid of a lot of the junk Acer put on my laptop and now Vista runs much faster especially with 2gig of ram.

Only thing i left on there that Acer put on there was the Acercam software but I don't use it anyway.

The standard latest ATI drivers did not work at the time, however this has been a couple of months, and there are new ones out there now for mobile IGP's.

alright so all i got is the vista install disc that came with the laptop... im thinking about giving this a go because yes i agree i hate buying prebuilt computers but a laptop ya cant really build lol so i had to give in... so if i wipe everything out should i be saving a dell folder or can i just wipe it all out and then use the discs that came with the computer to update the touchpad and few other things that i actually want and will use.. ?

-rick

thanks again for the help guys sry im new to laptops

I put my core 2 e6300 (1.8ghz) in my vista system just to try it. That sucker really zips in there w/Aero on. Loaded up real quick and was responsive. Vista is actually pretty damn quick if you know how to choose the right hardware.

Vista is actually pretty damn quick if you know how to choose the right hardware.

Yup ;)

You'll also find it multitasks and is more responsive than XP is (I run both daily, probably the same amount of time, and Vista kicks XP's tail in responsiveness and multitasking).

My beefs with Vista:

is that the "control panel" menus, are so verbose and NOT obvious like they were in XP, and you have to click through 1408508 windows to do most things. The power management settings are stupidly annoying to set up.

**** any way to change those?

Sometimes if the computer has been turned off for a while, when i boot it, I select vista, then the screen just goes black and nothing happens(vista isn't loading in the background either). i reset and try again and it works.

File transfers, haven't installed SP1 yet, too many bluescreen horror stories for my tastes.

I get a weird sound "screech" whenever I open a program, folder, etc.

Its no faster than XP for me, I've been using it daily for the past 2 months now. Basically the same schedule/games/programs.

The Harddrives are still ROARING away almost constantly, indexing is turned off.

When I turn security center off, I still get pestered by windows that its turned off. I turned off the windows firewall and it still annoys me as well.

There is NO easy way to view your ipaddress without doing an ipconfig in cmd. Thats dumb and annoying. right-click "status" was great.

Fixing simple things that happen is now brutal due to all the new menus being too large and complicated and SPREAD OUT OVER 50 windows than ever before.

Most of the excessive "are you 1004809% sure you want that" "certain" problems are fixed, but to fix them I have to play the magic cup game with the temp/tmp folders. After a about a week, vista decides THAT WHOLE HD IS A SPECIAL FOLDER.

My beefs with Vista:

is that the "control panel" menus, are so verbose and NOT obvious like they were in XP
Instead of add/remove programs, you just click on Programs.
and you have to click through 1408508 windows to do most things.
Not if you know right where to go. One thing I like about vista is the ability that when your chaging settings, you can just use the explorer to click back to control panel etc, no matter what setting your adjusting, mostly.
The power management settings are stupidly annoying to set up.

**** any way to change those?
Yeah, after you go past the first 2 basic options, you can either set your own definition by choosing a base model, then go in and edit it one option at a time so you get it EXACTLY the way you want. Or be like me and choose the power saving one, but turn off 'turn off hard disk' and your all set.

Sometimes if the computer has been turned off for a while, when i boot it, I select vista, then the screen just goes black and nothing happens(vista isn't loading in the background either). i reset and try again and it works.
If your 'selecting' vista, it sounds like your boot loader is to fault. You can't expect to have a multi boot system and to never have problems.
File transfers, haven't installed SP1 yet, too many bluescreen horror stories for my tastes.
The only blue screen I ever got in vista was when I tried to install it with 4gb of ram (I had a early 07 copy). I pulled out the ram and it installed fine then dropped the memory in. Funny though, the 32bit version booted fine with 4gb of ram but when I installed the 64 bit version w/2 gb then put the other 2 in, it blue screened, So I had to put that memory hotfix on it, and it worked. Later I decided to do another fresh install and just kept 2gb in, updated to SP1 and put the other 2 gb in, sp1 has the hotfix built in for the memory issue.

I get a weird sound "screech" whenever I open a program, folder, etc.
Vista has stupid sounds for opening/closing windows and task in windows. I like the boot sound though.

Its no faster than XP for me, I've been using it daily for the past 2 months now. Basically the same schedule/games/programs.
Using aero? Aero = speed. Have you tweaked services? Vista services > xp services. Other than turn off system restore (because of disk space) and gadgets, I left it alone and it's really fast.

The Harddrives are still ROARING away almost constantly, indexing is turned off.
Your HD is constantly going because it can't find the files very fast because you turned indexing off. Vista handles ram and disk access a lot better than XP. It turns off services (like indexing) when they are not being used, so there is no reason to not have them on, especially for the reason that you just said. Plus, vista uses idle time to pre-cache stuff into ram so that when you use the applications, they load faster. As soon as a memory intensive program starts, it drops all the cached stuff.

When I turn security center off, I still get pestered by windows that its turned off. I turned off the windows firewall and it still annoys me as well.
You need to select 'change the way windows alerts me' and uncheck everything. You can also turn off the account warning (or whatever it's called) that warns you about going into system folders etc.

There is NO easy way to view your ipaddress without doing an ipconfig in cmd. Thats dumb and annoying. right-click "status" was great.
I know because checking your IP address is something you need to do every day and when you do need to check it, you need it NOW!. :rolleyes: Seriously though, click the windows icon and in the search box, type in the name of the command you want to run, it goes right to it. It's kinda like a 'Search for files and folders' AND 'Run' in one entry box.

Fixing simple things that happen is now brutal due to all the new menus being too large and complicated and SPREAD OUT OVER 50 windows than ever before. [I personally like that Vista is more fleshed out. More options = more control. You just gotta get used to where stuff is at, like you did when you upgraded to XP.

Most of the excessive "are you 1004809% sure you want that" "certain" problems are fixed, but to fix them I have to play the magic cup game with the temp/tmp folders. After a about a week, vista decides THAT WHOLE HD IS A SPECIAL FOLDER.
Like, I said, turn off the alter option in security center, then turn off the way windows alerts you. As for the rest of what you just said .... I have no idea.

Anyways man, do a fresh install of Vista and leave everything going. Windows is good with taking care of itself now. .... Of course turning off system restore isn't a bad idea since it's kinda worthless with the vista backup options.

Back