Stupid Tech Idea of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
I have a great idea, let's have hundreds of people (maybe thousands) a day stick their germ infested hands all over this interactive display. Sounds like an outbreak waiting to happen. ;)

Window shopping has just been redefined by Adidas with the rollout of its new interactive storefront window. The window is a fully functional touchscreen that lets you drag life-size products directly to your smartphone, which acts as a shopping cart.

I won't touch doorknobs or toilet handles in public, no way I will be touching this either.

Exactly, this screen is nothing new when it comes to public germ cesspools.

geebus christ stfu germophobs :rolleyes:

Do you never go out in public? Do you not use dishes and glassware from restaurants? Newsflash, nothing is as clean as you think it is. You have a warped sense of reality if you think everything is as sanitary as that stupid hand spritzer wash you use every 5 minutes is. Enjoy your crusty vile hands as you become immune to nothing because you don't allow your body to gain an immune system.

So, that's why you don't leave your mom's basement. Germs....

There are germs outside. But, they clean these at least daily. Let's hope you don't touch cash. Ever. The germs on that stuff... Yikes.

Seems like a good enough idea, just wash your damn hands once you're done wiping your hands all over the screen.

In other news the iPhone 5 has a "feature" where it won't work with displays/systems like this outright. You didn't want or need to anyways, right?

I won't touch doorknobs or toilet handles in public, no way I will be touching this either.

Please tell me you at least kick the flusher and aren't one of those people who's phobias cause a pond of piss to build up. BTW they have sinks and soaps in a bathroom for a reason. ;)

Seriously though, with all these touch screen devices coming out, when is somebody going to develop a cost effective anti-microbial glass/coating for exactly this? I don't think I need it on my iPad or any other personal device, but when stuff like this is becoming common (public kiosks, etc), you can't exactly spray it with bleach after every use and it becomes a legitimate health hazard, especially during flu season.

And this is coming from someone who thinks using hand sanitizer all the time is bad for you, not really a germaphobe. ;)

Seriously though, with all these touch screen devices coming out, when is somebody going to develop a cost effective anti-microbial glass/coating for exactly this? I don't think I need it on my iPad or any other personal device, but when stuff like this is becoming common (public kiosks, etc), you can't exactly spray it with bleach after every use and it becomes a legitimate health hazard, especially during flu season.

And this is coming from someone who thinks using hand sanitizer all the time is bad for you, not really a germaphobe. ;)

Actually having it on YOUR devices is probably the best, since I doubt you wash your hands (or nuke them with hand sanitizer) every time you touch a surface, you very well could cross contaminate your own stuff so that if you do manage to wash your hands before eating or sticking your fingers near your eyes/nose/mouth that little flu virus might still be living on your iPad and WAMMO.

I agree, we really need to have anti-microbial coatings on all of our electronic devices. People die all the time from touching hand rails on stairs, handles on public transportation, keyboards on public computers, etc. It's just been going on for too long now, and it has to stop. I mean there's AIDS and cancer and shit, but the deadly germs on touchscreens are what we really need to be fighting.

The only things I don't touch in public is the door knob/handle leading OUT of the bathroom. I wash my hands, but I know other people do not. Oh, I also don't touch my face when I'm in public, because I touch lots of stuff. Touch something nasty + touch face = more likely to get sick.

Little babies dont put dirt in their mouth because they think they can eat it, they do it instinctly to improve their immune system. ;)

This is outside so it probably gets cleaned by the rain way more often than most public restrooms.

Oftentimes in mens rooms guys just rinse their hands off in the sink - not wash their hands - then go touch the towel dispensers.
When peeing, yes.

Why? Because what is the purpose of soap? It not a disinfectant or antiseptic unless its been added. Soap makes fats, oils, etc. water soluble. That's all it does. Hopefully your piss is already water soluble. So it just needs rinsing.

Little babies dont put dirt in their mouth because they think they can eat it, they do it instinctly to improve their immune system. ;)
Good point. I know people that were never as sick as they are now that they constantly use hand sanitizer all the time. Less chance to build up their immune system.

All these germaphobes had better hope they never have to go sit with all the sick people at a Dr's office! :eek:

When peeing, yes.

Why? Because what is the purpose of soap? It not a disinfectant or antiseptic unless its been added. Soap makes fats, oils, etc. water soluble. That's all it does. Hopefully your piss is already water soluble. So it just needs rinsing.

ahhh... yes, but water does not smell like piss unless you're in Mexico (sorry it's true).

Soap makes your freshly pissed on hands smell like something better. It also removes the smell of your ball sweat. Yep, I went there. :p

I actually think this is pretty cool. If it works how they say it will in the article, it would be like the interface used in Minority Report.

Do you never go out in public? Do you not use dishes and glassware from restaurants? Newsflash, nothing is as clean as you think it is. You have a warped sense of reality if you think everything is as sanitary as that stupid hand spritzer wash you use every 5 minutes is. Enjoy your crusty vile hands as you become immune to nothing because you don't allow your body to gain an immune system.

My restaurant silverware doesn't have piss and shit on them. :rolleyes:

its really a nice idea, the only thing I can imagine having trouble with it if a lot of people are trying to use it :D and you get bored to death waiting for the person before you to finish his transactions, but germs? lol

Guess most of the "I would never use it" commentators posting negatives, don't handle money or use an ATM either. :eek:

When peeing, yes.

Soap is made up of fatty acids as well, which adheres to things like dirt and bacteria making them easier to rinse off. Don't believe me? Wash your hands with and without soap when they're really dirty, with soap will make a world of difference. "Antiseptic" soap is not necessary AT ALL unless you're doing something like surgery.

Guess most of the "I would never use it" commentators posting negatives, don't handle money or use an ATM either. :eek:

Yep. The world is a filthy place, full of germs and few things are filthier than money. Just wash your hands occasionally and when you use the bathroom and hope for the best. There's not much more you can, or necessarily should do, unless you work in the food service or medical industry. Being exposed to a low level of otherwise potentially harmful germs is not necessarily a bad thing.

Not touching things that haven't been sanitized in god knows when, isn't being a germaphobe. I work in hospitals so I have to use hand sanitizer when necessary, but I don't use it outside of that. Personally my immune system is in fantastic shape, last time I was sick. was over 5 years ago. I don't avoid germs, but I certainly don't go around intentionally exposing myself to things that are generally less sanitary then a public toilet seat.

Please tell me you at least kick the flusher and aren't one of those people who's phobias cause a pond of piss to build up. BTW they have sinks and soaps in a bathroom for a reason. ;)

Yep I kick it..another reason I don't touch them.

How do you survive in the world? :rolleyes:

Go watch this movie, maybe you'll never leave the house. WAITING...

See above, I survive just fine. However allow me to inform you of something using above examples.

Person walks into a bathroom of standard cleanliness (which is to say the floor is pretty terrible). Kicks the handle and leaves. The next one comes in and uses his hand to flush this now bathroom floor handle and leaves without washing his hands. If you doubt this happens, just hang outside a high traffic restroom at say a mall for about 10 minutes and watch how many don't bother. So now that person goes around touching door handles and touchscreen displays like this. So multiply that by hundreds of people and the fact that These things don't get sanitized and you are literally putting your hands all over the bathroom floor. I am not a germaphobe, but I'll pass on that little scenario. If you don't think the average person is disgusting, then you are either one of the disgusting ones or pretty oblivious to how atrocious peoples cleanliness habits are.

Neat trick my Dad taught me years ago...try it out, it might help some of y`all...

When you go piss, dont piss on your hands..if you bathed.showered properly, your penis should be one of the cleanest things you ever put your own hands on in a Public Mens room....:D

Back