Stupid slow speeds with VPN enabled

Converge

[H]ard|Gawd
So, I use OpenVPN. It's nice and simple and I do like it but just one slightly major issue, it kills my download speeds. Connected directly to my modem/router at my desk WITHOUT my VPN on, I can see download speeds anywhere from 1mb/s - 6mb/s. With a wireless connection on the same computer (just my laptop, either at my desk or in another room) my speeds are obviously slower but not bad (For what I'm used to). Usually between 500kb/s - 1mb/s. Now, the problem is that with my VPN enabled my speeds are way lower. Not even half of what I normally get. I understand they should slow down a bit, but what I'm seeing doesnt seem normal. Connected I see like 100kb/s-1mb/s, with wireless its terrible.... like 50-100kb/s.

I'm not great with all the advanced settings and what not. I have windows defender/firewall enabled. I would assume that its not blocking anything other wise if it was I probably wouldn't be able to download/connect at all? I've tried switching between UDP/TCP with not really any change. UDP is supposed to be much quicker but when switching to TCP I don't notice any change in speed.

Any suggestions? I've searched online and there are a couple threads that come up associated with the OpenVPN site. However none of them contain any real solution, just talk of similar issues. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
How fast is the device running the openvpn server?
Is the server local or remote?
Is it set to route all the traffic over the vpn?

How fast is the device? Its my MSI laptop in my signature and its US east coast verizon FIOS. Its decently fast.

I connect to the US East server, so its local

And I am not sure about that last one, how would I check that?

How fast is the device? Its my MSI laptop in my signature and its US east coast verizon FIOS. Its decently fast.

I connect to the US East server, so its local

And I am not sure about that last one, how would I check that?

post your client VPN config file. redact the keys and pass phrases.

It's London trust Private Internet Access. One of the top rated apparently. I'm not sure which is my config file I only had time to look for a minute and looking and all I found was log files. I'm at work I'll have to check again later.

And yeah the IP changes with the VPN on of course.

I switched from their US East sever over to the Midwest/Chicago one and got better speeds that way. It's still not even a 1/3rd of normal though. Is that just how it goes maybe?

It's London trust Private Internet Access. One of the top rated apparently. I'm not sure which is my config file I only had time to look for a minute and looking and all I found was log files. I'm at work I'll have to check again later.

And yeah the IP changes with the VPN on of course.

I switched from their US East sever over to the Midwest/Chicago one and got better speeds that way. It's still not even a 1/3rd of normal though. Is that just how it goes maybe?

They have links to speed test clients on their website. Testing two servers, I got 10mbps on one and 3mbps on the other. There servers are just overloaded.

I have the same VPN provider and same ISP but different part of the US. FOIS throttles normal VPN ports, you need to use TCP port 443 for your vpn, dont use UDP, that way FOIS cant tell if this is normal https traffic or not, and PIA supports that port. I went from 1MB capped to full speed on FOIS and is still rock solid to now.

Back