Stupid question of the day

Crosshairs

Administrator
Staff member
First, its OK to make fun of me, as long as you can answer my stupid question...

so, I have my router hooked up to an 8 port switch, but now I find myself 1 port short...so that being said, since I have 4 ports on the back of the router and I'm only using 1 to feed the switch, can I still use the others ?
FWIW, I do have a 24 port switch I could use but i prefer the 8 port because its quiet...both are Dell Power connect switches but the 24 has an annoying fan and the 8 does not...

Yes, that will work just fine.

The only tiny "gotcha" that immediately comes to mind is if the stand-alone switch is gigabit and the router's build-in switch is only 10/100 Mb. Any communication between the devices on the stand-alone and the one hanging off the router will be only 100 Mb. But if that one device's only real network interaction is to the Internet, or it only has a 10/100 NIC itself and/or is some low-data-use device (e.g., a printer), then no worries.

Yes, that will work just fine.

The only tiny "gotcha" that immediately comes to mind is if the stand-alone switch is gigabit and the router's build-in switch is only 10/100 Mb. Any communication between the devices on the stand-alone and the one hanging off the router will be only 100 Mb. But if that one device's only real network interaction is to the Internet, or it only has a 10/100 NIC itself and/or is some low-data-use device (e.g., a printer), then no worries.

Thanks, they are both gigabit and its just going to be used for a desktop with light web browsing.

Thats exactly how I had mine setup, my main PC got direct connect to the router for least latency possible.
Everything else got attached to the switch down stream, no issue with doing that.

Since the other question was already answered: I believe you can replace the fan in the 24 port switch. Is it something like a 2824 or 2724?

Or if the switch doesnt get too hot you can put a resistor inline for the fan power which will consideribly slow down the spin speed and reduce the noise.

Back